OT: DJ Hernandez tells Globe of Aaron’s childhood sexual molestation | The Boneyard

OT: DJ Hernandez tells Globe of Aaron’s childhood sexual molestation

Reaction Score
Very sad story. And sounds like Dennis Hernandez was a real piece of work too. Coach sees a kid with a black eye and doesn’t say anything?

Reaction Score
Oh dear. He was a victim. It wasn't his fault, you see. He didn't mean to be a murderer. He was made that way by forces beyond his control.

Proof? No. There won't ever be any proof. But surely we can all show some sympathy anyways. You know, for the victim who was a killer. As opposed to the victim whom he killed.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Oh dear. He was a victim. It wasn't his fault, you see. He didn't mean to be a murderer. He was made that way by forces beyond his control.

Proof? No. There won't ever be any proof. But surely we can all show some sympathy anyways. You know, for the victim who was a killer. As opposed to the victim whom he killed.

You're making a lot of leaps there...calm down, buddy.

Reaction Score

This post sucks

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I don’t think examining Hernandez’ life necessitates a lack of sympathy for his victims. In fact, it’s the opposite; people ask these kinds of questions to see how people come to commit acts such as murder. Unfortunately, childhood sexual abuse has a serious correlation with drug abuse and criminality in adults. Also, the world is rarely black and white with clean splits between good and evil. I think the world would be a better place if we engaged that reality more often

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I read the James Patterson book about him. Couldn’t put it down. They mention all this stuff. Police would come to the Hernandez house for domestic issues, but Dennis was THE MAN in Bristol. Boys will be Boys.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
Why can't we leave this whole Hernandez story alone? People love to wallow in other peoples' problems. Guess it makes them feel better about themselves??

DAC17

Reaction Score
I don’t think examining Hernandez’ life necessitates a lack of sympathy for his victims. In fact, it’s the opposite; people ask these kinds of questions to see how people come to commit acts such as murder. Unfortunately, childhood sexual abuse has a serious correlation with drug abuse and criminality in adults. Also, the world is rarely black and white with clean splits between good and evil. I think the world would be a better place if we engaged that reality more often

And so, what do we learn by continuing to examine this? That child molestation is a bad thing? Guess most people already knew that.

Reaction Score
On the bright side, people like Dennis being UConn alumni is a thing of the past. I hope.

DAC17

Reaction Score
It drives home the point that we need to do a better job at intervening early and preventing outcomes like this one.

I guess. Pretty depressing that there are so many sickos out there...

Reaction Score
It's out there now about his mom and his cousin's husband. When his father died there was huge split in the family. His fathers whole side of the family wanted him close to home.

Reaction Score
I read the James Patterson book about him. Couldn’t put it down. They mention all this stuff. Police would come to the Hernandez house for domestic issues, but Dennis was THE MAN in Bristol. Boys will be Boys.

I read the entire book its a fascinating read, theres so many variables DJ turned out well, did he get molested as well? Well never know what could've been background, family members, hanging with the wrong crowd, CTE, environment at Florida I'm sure didnt help either. None of it is supposed to make any sense.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I read the entire book its a fascinating read, theres so many variables DJ turned out well, did he get molested as well? Well never know what could've been background, family members, hanging with the wrong crowd, CTE, environment at Florida I'm sure didnt help either. None of it is supposed to make any sense.
A lot of us as UConn fans like to believe that had he stayed in CT and gone to UConn with DJ it all would have been different. Maybe so but I doubt it. Meyer would dred anytime he went home because of his gang ties in Bristol. I think I remember reading that Urban actually begged Kraft/Belicheck not to draft him knowing how it would end up. Obviously they thought he could have turned it around. The whole situation gets more tragic the more you learn.

Reaction Score
A lot of us as UConn fans like to believe that had he stayed in CT and gone to UConn with DJ it all would have been different. Maybe so but I doubt it. Meyer would dred anytime he went home because of his gang ties in Bristol. I think I remember reading that Urban actually begged Kraft/Belicheck not to draft him knowing how it would end up. Obviously they thought he could have turned it around. The whole situation gets more tragic the more you learn.
Meyer looks the other way all the time. He did it at Florida with Hernandez and at OSU with his assistant coach. The only reason Urban dreaded Aaron coming home, was he was losing his best offense player outside of Tebow, if he was arrest with the gangs.

Had he come to UCONN, would things have been different? Probably wouldn't have been drafted so high, but he would have at least had more discipline through Edsall than Meyer. But it's all hindsight at this point.

Reaction Score
Theres no way Edsall would have let AH behave in an entitled manner. Urban enabled the kid to live as such. His father obviously lived as an entitled man.

Anyone in Bristol know of Red Richardson, aka Grandpa Woodstock?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I was listening to WEEI when they brought up Hernandez's behavior in the locker room and practice. Exposing himself, talking about (gay) sex, picking fights with teammates, intimidation and assorted oddities. He was not a stable guy. They also mentioned that the bristol gang-bangers were regular visitors - that is probably the best reason that it was best that Aaron never went to UConn. Such a sad story.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I was listening to WEEI when they brought up Hernandez's behavior in the locker room and practice. Exposing himself, talking about (gay) sex, picking fights with teammates, intimidation and assorted oddities. He was not a stable guy. They also mentioned that the bristol gang-bangers were regular visitors - that is probably the best reason that it was best that Aaron never went to UConn. Such a sad story.

Globe has put out a podcast series on their findings called The Gladiator Podcast. DJ is in episode 2 and they talk about his high school career and initial verbal commitment to RE. Fascinating listen

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And so, what do we learn by continuing to examine this? That child molestation is a bad thing? Guess most people already knew that.

As someone familiar with child abuse issues and having fostered a few kids who were abused in every which way, I'll tell you there is no such thing as talking about the issue too much. It's not phony that abused kids often become abusers. One of the hidden big societal issues and abused kids often are not identified or speak about their lives until years later, if ever.

DAC17

Reaction Score
As someone involved familiar with child abuse issues and having fostered a few kids who were abused in every which way, I'll tell you there is no such thing as talking about the issue too much. It's not phony that abused kids often become abusers.

I agree 100%. The problem is that most abusers aren't going to change their behavior by discussions in a UConn football forum. In fact, I'm guessing that a lot of abusers don't read much anyway.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I agree 100%. The problem is that most abusers aren't going to change their behavior by discussions in a UConn football forum. In fact, I'm guessing that a lot of abusers don't read much anyway.
For some, I think this is all the reading they do. Take the audience as you find it.;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom