OT: Dick Gregory is no more | The Boneyard

OT: Dick Gregory is no more

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Pioneer combo comedian/civil rights activist, dead at 84.

Reaction Score
Pioneer combo comedian/civil rights activist, dead at 84.
Now you've got to take this in the context of the times in which it was said: Dick Gregory on a visit to the south: This humor brought into White homes what it was like to be Black then in America-while we laughed --we felt the tears.
DHo6wjeUwAAL-z-.jpg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
He lived down the street from me when he was in high school and I was in elementary school. He was a classmate of my youngest sister and friend of my oldest brother. My brother told me that Dick Gregory was very funny in high school, so he had been a comedian for many years.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
He lived down the street from me when he was in high school and I was in elementary school. He was a classmate of my youngest sister and friend of my oldest brother. My brother told me that Dick Gregory was very funny in high school, so he had been a comedian for many years.

You remember those logic/math puzzles in school? The ones that went My father's 2nd cousin married my aunt's sister. Who am I?
The above certainly qualifies for Twilight Zone.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You remember those logic/math puzzles in school? The ones that went My father's 2nd cousin married my aunt's sister. Who am I?
What???

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A sweet, gentle, personable man who made injustices his calling. He became a vegetarian long ago because of the treatment of the animals we put on out tables. He never wavered nor lost sight of the goal, that of the world judging a person through the content of their character. A champion for civil and social rights for all. One of my personal heroes.

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

OK, You write you are in elementary school He's older than you, yes?
But your YOUNGER sister is his age mate? Oh wait, did you come along years after your parents were done with girls?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My most vivid memory of him was he went on a hunger strike, saying he wouldn't eat till the Viet Nam War was over. That went on quite a bit longer than anyone had expected, but he persevered as far as I know. When the final troops pulled out, someone asked him, "Well, you didn't eat for years, no what will you do if we invade again?"

"I won't stop eating till it's over next time."

He was huge before the hunger strike, I think he lost close to 200 pounds. Later he toured extolling the benefits of fasting, and he was thin for the rest of his life AFAIK.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
OK, You write you are in elementary school He's older than you, yes?
But your YOUNGER sister is his age mate? Oh wait, did you come along years after your parents were done with girls?

That's the way I read it. My youngest sister is almost nine years older than I.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
About 1971, I bumped into Mr. Gregory (literally) while I was taking a narrow short-cut through a building on my campus. While "excuse me" might have been more appropriate, the best I could come up with was "How are you?" He replied, "Hungry."

That's how he first got my attention. Over the years, the content and purpose of his speeches held that attention, without fail.

Reaction Score

Gee Wire Chief (Who am I) if you don't know ---how are we expected to know??

Reaction Score
A man who was ahead of his time in a lot of ways. I seem to recall that he talked about uncomfortable facts that a lot of us didn't know how to deal with and didn't want to think about.
I\\

I beg to differ---He was very much a man of HIS TIME--his commentary and jokes were EXACTLY of his time. You wouldn't be having THIS time as good as bad as it maybe racially--had he not made a joke of the stupidity of race relations then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom