OT- Dave Wingett of Winnebago, Ne. Boys BB

This weekend I went to the first high school BB games since I got back to the area. I wasn't expecting to be surprised or impressed by any of the players although I had heard that this kid's team was pretty good and was only beaten once last year and had won the state championship in their division/class. I had seen the kid making a flying 2 handed alley-oop dunk on a local tv stations BB highlights a couple of weeks ago.

The game was kind of unreal to put it mildly. This kid was playing before his home crowd and was doing whatever he wanted. In the first half he was mainly just trying to get his teammates to set him up for alley-oops which he would finish with 2 handed dunks. He was also handling the ball and bringing it up court a lot himself. I think he's around 6' 7" or so. The other team was pretty good but this kid and his teammates play the game not unlike the UCONN girl's do in their league. If Stewie could dunk with two hands at will (maybe she can but doesn't- I don't think that's in her character anyway) it would be like what I saw this weekend.

The place was packed and the kid put on a show. He just exudes confidence and maybe is a little (or a lot) cocky. But he showed enough maturity to help one of the other team's players up when he was on the floor.

I have never seen one player dominate a game like this guy did. He had scored 34 points by halftime. I really believe that he could score 100 points easily if he and his coach wanted to. I'm going to see him again next time he plays. I wanted to go to the game they played before but it was too far and it would've meant driving on country highways in bitter cold. But I want to see if anyone can compete with this kid.

Someone should tell Kevin Ollie to send a scout to see this kid play...

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Sounds like a nice player but one question - what is the competition like?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
As a Nebraska fan if UNL hasn't contacted/offered him I wouldn't even bother. They usually kick the tires on anyone even slightly D1 worthy as at least a walk on

Fishy

Puncher of Throats
Quick Google search says he was only an honorable mention in one of the smallest Nebraska athletic sections - that's not going to work.

His Hudl videos are not impressive - all uncontested dunks and cherry-picking. On the rare occasion where he had to dribble, he actually has to slow down and look at his hands.

Maybe he can join the trampoline dudes from Saturday's halftime show. His youtube clips look like a really tall 5th grader vs really short 5th graders.

The kid ended up with 50 points in that game and left early. Look at the KCAU Sioux City, Iowa tv station website. They featured him as 2 of the Top 5 plays of the week last night. There's also a kid from the Walthill HS who's also pretty good and he has one of the positions on the Top 5. The Walthill kid is a lot rougher and needs work especially because he's a senior.

Quick Google search says he was only an honorable mention in one of the smallest Nebraska athletic sections - that's not going to work.

His Hudl videos are not impressive - all uncontested dunks and cherry-picking. On the rare occasion where he had to dribble, he actually has to slow down and look at his hands.
Good points on his looking at his hands but the kid is only a junior. Besides, he doesn't need to handle the ball much cause he has several great ballhandling teammates.

You're partly right there in that the dunks may be uncontested but the question is: who can contest them? That remains to be seen.

As a Nebraska fan if UNL hasn't contacted/offered him I wouldn't even bother. They usually kick the tires on anyone even slightly D1 worthy as at least a walk on
The Nebraska BB program has never impressed me. They're always second place to Creighton in their own state.

I personally hope that the kid doesn't choose NU.

Sounds like a nice player but one question - what is the competition like?
I'm going to another of his games tonight and hope to follow him the rest of the season. He has a couple of more years to develop before he commits to a college.

The kid has to be seen in person to be believed. I followed Mike McGee in HS and he was about the same size but he had to work for his points. This kid is just toying with his competition.

I'm going to another of his games tonight and hope to follow him the rest of the season. He has a couple of more years to develop before he commits to a college.

The kid has to be seen in person to be believed. I followed Mike McGee in HS and he was about the same size but he had to work for his points. This kid is just toying with his competition.
Who is Mike McGee? Just curious....

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
No reason a Summit League team shouldn't take at least a flier on him. The story of how Kay Felder ended up at Oakland is nuts...they played a year without a PG after promising he was their guy and Greg Kampe just prayed nobody bigger would offer him a scholarship.

Wingett's team won again last night. They played the Ralph Sampson defense on him with one guy fronting him down low and the center in back of him. Wingett's teammates are too good for that to work though. They were ahead by 50 points at the end of the 3rd quarter and Wingett went to the bench so I left. The other team was getting frustrated and starting to beat the kid up so the coach sat him down.

Wingett reminds me of Andrew Wiggins but with a better inside presence. He plays really good defense especially on the full court press. He comes out high to guard the other team's point guard and gets steals.

Wingett's team won again last night. They played the Ralph Sampson defense on him with one guy fronting him down low and the center in back of him. Wingett's teammates are too good for that to work though. They were ahead by 50 points at the end of the 3rd quarter and Wingett went to the bench so I left. The other team was getting frustrated and starting to beat the kid up so the coach sat him down.

Wingett reminds me of Andrew Wiggins but with a better inside presence. He plays really good defense especially on the full court press. He comes out high to guard the other team's point guard and gets steals.
well this seems likes its a little much, no?

I meant to say that NU BB plays second fiddle to Creighton in Nebraska. Has NU ever sent a player to the NBA? I doubt it.

I hope the kid goes to Kansas, Michigan State, Duke or Kentucky.

I meant to say that NU BB plays second fiddle to Creighton in Nebraska. Has NU ever sent a player to the NBA? I doubt it.

I can't find anywhere that lists him have a single scholarship offer, so if he ends up at NU you should be thrilled for him.

This thread is hilarious, we have a guy hyping a kid as a better prospect than Andrew Wiggins yet he isn't even considered a D1 prospect at this point. It was topped off by Breanna Stewart can probably dunk on people with two hands but doesn't because it's not in her character. Thanks for the laughs, Mr. Wingett!

Well there's new Cavs coach and former NBA journeyman of like 10 years Tyronn Lue, for one

This thread is hilarious, we have a guy hyping a kid as a better prospect than Andrew Wiggins yet he isn't even considered a D1 prospect at this point. It was topped off by Breanna Stewart can probably dunk on people with two hands but doesn't because it's not in her character. Thanks for the laughs, Mr. Wingett!
I'm not sure what has more potential. Dave Wingett himself or the potential of this thread to become an all time great. Why are we stopping the comparison at Wiggins? How does he compare to Lebron as a prospect?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!

Thats kind of my point. If Nebraska hasn't offered him and they take a much lower level of talent than UConn does in basketball and they try to do everything they can to keep people in state then why on earth would UConn waste a scholarship on this kid?

btw there isn't a ton of Nebraska alumni in the NBA but Tyronn Lue played at Nebraska and had a lengthy pro career. Perhaps you've heard his name recently

The kid is very athletic and will definitely play D1 ball somewehere. He should be getting some offers soon. Beyond that, who knows.

Striper69 said:
Not really. The kid was hitting treys last night on top of everything else.
You're the parent, right? I watched one of the few videos available online. This kid looks like a good regional high school player, nothing more. You just basically said he's better than a #1 pick in the NBA draft and I'll be shocked if this kid even plays division one. I believe in an earlier post you said it's okay that he has to look at his hands when he dribbles because he's only a junior.

Fishy

Puncher of Throats
You're partly right there in that the dunks may be uncontested but the question is: who can contest them? That remains to be seen.
Basically, anyone.

He's not doing anything to get himself open for a dunk...it's generally a teammate picking the ball and this kid cherry-picking a dunk. I'm sure he's dominant at that low level, but I don't see much that would lead me to believe that he's going to be a DI player.