OT- Dan Marino retires | The Boneyard

OT- Dan Marino retires

Reaction Score
Dan Marino hasn't played in an NFL game since 1999. But he had a ceremony and filed his retirement papers Wednesday. This came as a surprise to me but not in the way most retirements would surprise me. I like this line “And the fact I’ve been a free agent for 16 years and no one’s called is kind of upsetting to me.”

Dan Marino finally retires from the Miami Dolphins. Huh?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Probably writing a book.

I lived in Florida when Miami was great. Still can't believe he wasn't able to bring them back. He just didn't have the supporting cast someone like Brady does.

Reaction Score
He (Marino) just didn't have the supporting cast someone like Brady does.
That would make for a good argument. Brady's made lots of good and mediocre players better but I haven't seen any sure fire Hall of Famers on his offensive rosters. Put Brady on the Texans last season and they could have won the Super Bowl. Put any other QB on the Pats and they would have fizzled. Marino had lots of good and mediocre players around him too, but other than Dwight Stephenson--no Hall of Famers either. He just wasn't Brady.
Sent from my iPhone

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That would make for a good argument. Brady's made lots of good and mediocre players better but I haven't seen any sure fire Hall of Famers on his offensive rosters. Put Brady on the Texans last season and they could have won the Super Bowl. Put any other QB on the Pats and they would have fizzled. Marino had lots of good and mediocre players around him too, but other than Dwight Stephenson--no Hall of Famers either. He just wasn't Brady.
Sent from my iPhone

I highly doubt Brady would have won a single championship had he played for Miami, instead of Marino. Put Marino on the Patriots and he would have won several.

Reaction Score
When your best running back was Tony Nathan and your best defensive player was....no one remembers, then you aren't winning anything. I know he was still around when they started to bring in Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, etc, but he was really on his last legs. I saw those teams close up and he held them up, kept them competitive and kept them entertaining, but they didn't have enough players and the organization just wasn't run very well.

As for any other quarterback causing the Pats to fizzle...I think that may be too strong of a statement, although the only quarterback I am sure about would be Aaron Rodgers. Put him on New England and they would still roll and still win super bowls.

Reaction Score
Agree - Brady and Marino are both great. But, Belichik is the master. Dealing with the salary cap and free agency along with his coaching/managing abilities makes him the best NFL coach of all time. Marino def would have won a couple with BB as coach.

Reaction Score
I thought he was done when he did the Ace Ventura movie then not long after Bad Boys 2

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I thought he was done when he did the Ace Ventura movie then not long after Bad Boys 2

I wonder if he still rolling in all that isotoner money.

Reaction Score
Sent from my iPhone
Not a Brady fan at all, but have to respect him as the greatest quarterback. His best player was Moss and probably 3-4 years past his prime when they played together. Brady has never had the talent at WR and yet he still wins.

I think credit has to be given to Belichick and his system of replaceable parts. When Brady does retire, we'll see how much was Brady and how much was the coaches system. From what we've seen in decent samples, Belichick's system has an answer for someone other than Brady behind center.

Marino was a great talent in his own right, and proof that winning Super Bowls is not the only measure of a great QB.

In a straight up comparison, I think you have to take Brady. Not even sure it's debatable at this point with any other quarterback.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Probably writing a book.

I lived in Florida when Miami was great. Still can't believe he wasn't able to bring them back. He just didn't have the supporting cast someone like Brady does.

Brady has played in Super Bowls following the 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2014, and 2016 season and fell one game short on four other occasions all within the free agency era. Players were not allowed to move around as freely in Marino's first decade in the league with the winningest coach of all time (IIRC) and no salary cap. Even Plan B free agency was more akin to restricted free agency. Me thinks it was not Marino's supporting cast.

The Marino mythology

Myth: Marino had to carry the Dolphins himself.

Cold, Hard Football Facts: Few quarterbacks in NFL history have been surrounded by more talent than Marino.

In his 17-year career, Marino played with 55 players named to the Pro Bowl. Marino himself was named a Pro Bowler nine times. That's a remarkable 64 Pro Bowl players, or nearly four for every season Marino spent in the NFL. Four times in Marino's career, the Dolphins boasted five or more Pro Bowl players in a single season. Compare that with New England's two Super Bowl teams, which had a total of just five Pro Bowl players.

Myth: Marino was a big-game quarterback.

Cold, Hard Football Facts: Want to know the real reason why Marino never won a Super Bowl? Sadly, the answer sits with Dan Marino himself.

Simply put, Marino did not elevate his game in the playoffs. In fact, his played dropped off quite noticeably. Marino has a career regular season passer rating of 86.4. His postseason passer rating was just 77.1. He played in 18 playoff games, and won just eight of them.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Players were not allowed to move around as freely in Marino's first decade in the league with the winningest coach of all time (IIRC) and no salary cap.

Ummm... exactly. It's an apples to oranges comparison. I'm not denying Brady isn't a great QB. He's easily one of the best. But I believe Marino is also among the best.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt Brady would have won a single championship had he played for Miami, instead of Marino. Put Marino on the Patriots and he would have won several.
Would he have won 5 though, and gone to 7? People minimize what Brady has done, it's nothing short of amazing.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Would he have won 5 though, and gone to 7? People minimize what Brady has done, it's nothing short of amazing.

I didn't say he wasn't amazing, in fact I've said quite the opposite. What I said was, "
Probably writing a book.

I lived in Florida when Miami was great. Still can't believe he wasn't able to bring them back. He just didn't have the supporting cast someone like Brady does."

I do doubt Brady would have done better in Marino's position.

Reaction Score

This is where I think BB's greatness is on display more than Brady. To do what he has done with that roster and franchise with free agency and continuously having low draft picks all the while keeping the Patriots at the top of the heap is truly amazing. Brady goes down? No problem - plug in Cassell and win 11 games. Plug in Jimmy G and go 3-1. And also as great as Brady is, he doesn't play defense of special teams. BB controls ALL facets of the game and routinely comes out on top (I'm saying this and I am NOT a Patriots fan so I think I can be a little more objective than those that might want to have TB's baby).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Brady would've asked Shula for a running game and a more diverse offense. Marino was never interested. Had to be all about Marino.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Brady would've asked Shula for a running game and a more diverse offense. Marino was never interested. Had to be all about Marino.

I'm assuming you're kidding.

If Brady were as versatile as his homers think, he'd of had a noteworthy college career. He didn't. Marino, did.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

If Brady were as versatile as his homers think, he'd of had a noteworthy college career. He didn't. Marino, did.

I live among Pitt fans. Marino was ALL ABOUT MARINO. Pitt fans who were also Steeler fans wanted no part of him as a pro. He was a coked-up .

Talk to any Pitt alum about Marino in the 48-14 loss to PSU and you'll get an earful about what a selfish asswipe he was.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I live among Pitt fans. Marino was ALL ABOUT MARINO. Pitt fans who were also Steeler fans wanted no part of him as a pro. He was a coked-up .

Talk to any Pitt alum about Marino in the 48-14 loss to PSU and you'll get an earful about what a selfish asswipe he was.

I'll concede brady is a nice guy, with outstanding choice in women. We're talking about football. I don't believe Marino is the best of all time. That'd be silly. But he's up there with Brady.

Reaction Score
I'll concede brady is a nice guy, with outstanding choice in women. We're talking about football. I don't believe Marino is the best of all time. That'd be silly. But he's up there with Brady.
You are trying too hard. 5 > 0.

Reactions: THC

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You are trying too hard. 5 > 0.

That's an incredibly silly argument. Football is a team sport. The Patriots have won five championships, that is undeniable. Everything else is open for debate.

Brady was not a standout in college. He needed support that he didn't get until he became the starting QB with the Patriots.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Tom Brady did have a noteworthy college career. He broke records at "Three Yards and a Cloud of Mud," Michigan.

Instead of getting into it, I recommend watching The Year of the Quarterback: The Brady 6 to anyone who hasn't yet seen it (It's on Youtube). Basically, Lloyd Carr went against one of his long standing policies to accommodate boosters regarding the supposedly can't miss prospect in Drew Henson. A mistake he rectified after MSU.

"Bobby, you will never regret drafting Tom Brady." - Lloyd Carr to Bobby Grier (the only NFL GM to call Carr about Brady).

Reaction Score
Belichick is great but Shula wasn't a bad coach either. Brady has had many fewer pro-bowlers. Marino was good, but not in Brady's league.

Reaction Score
That's an incredibly silly argument. Football is a team sport. The Patriots have won five championships, that is undeniable. Everything else is open for debate.

Brady was not a standout in college. He needed support that he didn't get until he became the starting QB with the Patriots.
Was Romo a standout? This season, Brady came through with WRs who have heart, not talent. I kept saying he's a product of the system. A 25 point comeback in the Super Bowl says otherwise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom