OT: Dan Hughes Named Seattle Storm Coach | The Boneyard

OT: Dan Hughes Named Seattle Storm Coach

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Dan is a good coach and good person. He’s older, but I hope he sticks around. Maybe he’ll trade for Moriah. :)

In Seattle, the smarter move IMO would be trading for Kelsey Plum.

And if he really wanted to ramp up attendance and buzz—he could try and get Shoni Schimmel as well.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Dan is a true coach. Very interesting as a color commentator. Not sure why he didn't have more success in SA, especially when he was also GM for much of his time there. I wish him luck.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think this is a good move for Seattle. Hughes is a really good coach and a solid human being. His teams have always run good offense and I think his coaching will help Breanna and Jewell.

I looked up his record. He has lost more games than any other WNBA coach with a 45% winning %. He was coach and GM before so he can't blame someone else for not getting better players. I hope you are right. But in the words of the defective detective, Mr. Monk, I don't think so. Weren't there more successful coaches available?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Thanks! I probably should have mentioned that one on here. I don't like to just post my podcasts and self-promote unless it's a definite UConn or on topic (like this one) post.

Reaction Score

And if he really wanted to ramp up attendance and buzz—he could try and get Shoni Schimmel as well.

Plum is not > Jefferson. To each his own. I would love for Jefferson and Stewart to be reunited, with Loyd also in the backcourt that would be one helluva running and gunning team.(Can KML get any more playing time under Hughes?)

I think the Schimmel boat has sailed. I think she hasn't done herself any good by showing up out of shape, not playing overseas and not playing this year. Can you really count on her to play?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm assuming a previous poster said Seattle should trade for Plum because the fans in the city absolutely love her from her time at UW and it would be a big boost to attendance. Don't think it really has anything to do with which player is better. I definitely think one or the other needs to be traded for the sake of both of them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Uh, tongue in cheek on Shimmel right? Liberty guard Shoni Schimmel takes season off in WNBA

She POed Laimbeer by getting even more out of shape as the season approached and se was told show up in shape or don't show up.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
I'm assuming a previous poster said Seattle should trade for Plum because the fans in the city absolutely love her from her time at UW and it would be a big boost to attendance. Don't think it really has anything to do with which player is better. I definitely think one or the other needs to be traded for the sake of both of them.

Thank you. Yes—that’s exactly what I was referring too.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
He is a good coach. He has Stewart and Lloyd. I think they should be able to get a good player in the draft. Maybe some one like Russell. She would add some size.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Gonna throw this out there. Seattle will get a top 4 pick. Do they go after someone like Kelsey Mitchell—a high scoring PG??

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gonna throw this out there. Seattle will get a top 4 pick. Do they go after someone like Kelsey Mitchell—a high scoring PG??
Seattle made the playoffs. I believe they have the 5th pick.

I don't see Mitchell fitting in with Loyd. They need a rim protector and rebounder.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think they picked up a scoring PG in the draft last year--from Syracuse I think? Didn't play much but made the roster. What they really need is help in the frontcourt. They picked up Carolyn Swords but she did almost nothing. They need more.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think they picked up a scoring PG in the draft last year--from Syracuse I think? Didn't play much but made the roster. What they really need is help in the frontcourt. They picked up Carolyn Swords but she did almost nothing. They need more.
Alexis Peterson.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks! I probably should have mentioned that one on here. I don't like to just post my podcasts and self-promote unless it's a definite UConn or on topic (like this one) post.

David, do you think Cheryl Reeve will stay involved with USA Basketball? Dawn was rewarded with her years of commitment to USA Basketball, and rightly so, but a strong case could have been made for Cheryl Reeve to be the national team head coach. She's proven she can manage egos and her teams play really well at both ends of the floor. Sure, Reeve has had lots of talent on the Lynx but she gets her All-Stars and Olympians to buy in to unselfish basketball and the results speak for themselves.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Seattle made the playoffs. I believe they have the 5th pick.

I don't see Mitchell fitting in with Loyd. They need a rim protector and rebounder.

I agree - although for some teams, Mitchell would be a clear impact player so they could very well work a trade.

As far as players that could help them in the paint, it looks like Miss State's Teira McGowan (September bday would allow her to come out early) would probably be available at #5. A 6'7" post, big body.... what's not to like? 6'6" Mercedes Russell should also be available.

2018 WNBA Mock Draft - WNBA - DraftSite.com

IMO, Seattle should pass on both of these players and focus on Monique Billings:

Monique Billings is not really a classic rim protector - true rim protectors that can be effective in the W at that role are few and far between IMO. On the other hand, she is a highly capable rebounder, mostly because she is active, extremely agile/mobile for her size (see video) and works hard. And she did have 4 blocks at South Carolina, so she can play stout. There are plenty of success stories for players with her toolset in the W.

Some selected stats:

at SoCar -- 12 pts, 22 rebs(!) in 36 mins , also 4 blks
at Oregon -- 30 pts , 14 rebs in 34 mins
UCONN -- 17 pts , 16 rebs in 39 mins

From the game we played against UCLA, I mostly remembered Jordin Canada, but Billings's stats were nothing to sneeze at. I will have to re-watch that game.

Anyway, I think the era of the big pure Center is for the most part coming to a close in the pros. The defensive 3-second rule is yuuuuge; you just cannot camp out and suck up rebounds in the W like you can in college. Add to that the increased emphasis on all-court play, where everyone can run the floor and you have a perfect recipe for success for players like Billings. She can take it coast to coast (see video). She doesn't look at all like a 6'4" player in her movement --although I am pretty sure she's closer to 6'3". She has good lift. She can score in the midrange. She is active. Players like Russell and McGowan are far slower, and Russell is injury-prone to boot. They have a place at the college level, but the W moves at a different speed. Not saying they won't get drafted and contribute, but they don't have what I see as great attributes for today's pro game.

I'd like for Billings to somehow fall to the Lynx, but if she is available when Seattle makes its pick I think they need to grab her. She's certainly not Brittany Griner at the rim and she may not quite be Rebecca Brunson on the boards, but it looks to me like she brings a lot to the table for dependable depth at the 3-4 position. She could potentially complement Stewie on the floor better than Langhorne does at the moment.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I like Billings, she's a fun player to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom