OT: Dan Hawkins to FIU | The Boneyard

OT: Dan Hawkins to FIU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

For the 1-2 people who were pining after him to come here after hearing him call our games...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Hawkins still holds the best answer to assessing what one should do if they were coach Bob Diaco:

"I'd light myself on fire!"

He'll probably have FIU showing great progress after 1 year, while we sit here in misery...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wow, that is a great start to a coaching staff for a school like FIU.

Another "emerging" Florida university with 40k+ students.

They can compete with UCF and USF for recruits.

Reaction Score
Wow. Hawkins would be a legit OC Option for P5 Schools. FIU landing him is a major coup.

Reaction Score
Q: "what would you do if you were Bob Diaco?"

Hawkins: "I would light myself on fire!"

Classic...
Thought it was:

Q "Put yourself in Diaco's shoes"

A "And do what, light myself on fire?"

Hawkins knew like we have known for a while. For shots and giggles I just looked through the the SMU game thread from December 6, 2014. The last 3 pages tell it all, we knew he was fraud then FOR SURE. Too bad he wasn't a car, we'd be at least be protected by lemon laws.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Oh, never mind. He's gonna be OC there

Wait, so you're telling me FIU has a staqff that starts with Butch Davis as HC and Dan Hawkins as OC?

Just kill me now.

Reaction Score
Wait, so you're telling me FIU has a staqff that starts with Butch Davis as HC and Dan Hawkins as OC?

Just kill me now.
Sure, Butch Davis has a successful track record, but he is 65 years old and will turn 66 during the season next year. I don't think that's the type of coach UConn should target as we tried that with PP.

Reaction Score
Sure, Butch Davis has a successful track record, but he is 65 years old and will turn 66 during the season next year. I don't think that's the type of coach UConn should target as we tried that with PP.
Before Norm Schnoellenberger (sp?) retired again, wasn't he about 70+ as the FIU coach? Or, was it FAU?

For a 1-AA program, UC Davis has to be happy hiring Hawkins. Even if Hawkins views the Aggies' job as an opportunity to resuscitate his career for a few years, good get for UC Davis.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score

You serious Clark? I would take Butch Davis for the next 3 years in a New York minute over what's coming for UConn. UCF did just fine with an old coach. Nick Saban is 65 and he shows no signs of letting up. Yes, I'd take Butch Davis right this second over Bob Diaco.

Reaction Score
You serious Clark? I would take Butch Davis for the next 3 years in a New York minute over what's coming for UConn. UCF did just fine with an old coach. Nick Saban is 65 and he shows no signs of letting up. Yes, I'd take Butch Davis right this second over Bob Diaco.

Thanks. O'Leary was hired at age 57, not 65. Saban was hired at Alabama at 55. I don't think Diaco is the right man for the job, but I don't want a 65 year old coach.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Thanks. O'Leary was hired at age 57, not 65. Saban was hired at Alabama at 55. I don't think Diaco is the right man for the job, but I don't want a 65 year old coach.

Not the point. We would all take Saban, Davis, or probably Mack Brown even right now. I'll worry about the future when we can make consecutive Bowl games. We are headed for 5-7 next year, and the a likely 6-6 rebuilding year under a new coach.

Reaction Score
Not the point. We would all take Saban, Davis, or probably Mack Brown even right now. I'll worry about the future when we can make consecutive Bowl games. We are headed for 5-7 next year, and the a likely 6-6 rebuilding year under a new coach.

I think most on this board would think 5-7 and 6-6 over the next 2 years is overachieving.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I think most on this board would think 5-7 and 6-6 over the next 2 years is overachieving.

What can I say? I'm an optimist.

I agree with what you are saying, and UConn needs a younger coach. I am just saying that, if given the following choices below, I'd take the old guy right this minute everytime:

Cutcliffe vs Diaco? Cutcliffe
Butch D vs Diaco? Butch Davis
Tommy Bowden vs Diaco? Tommy B (but this one is closer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom