OT: Dallas trip help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by Newhavenhusky, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Newhavenhusky

Newhavenhusky Active Member

Headed to Dallas next week. I will be staying downtown. If anyone could give me suggestions for restaurants and things to do it would be appreciated!

2. Redding Husky

Redding Husky I love Oktoberfest.

I live in the northern suburbs, haven't been downtown in years. But ...

Most people on their first visit go to the Sixth Floor Museum, related to the JFK assasination. That's downtown. Most people also go to Arlington and take a tour of Jerry World. That's about 20-25 miles west.

Steakhouses: III Forks, Bob's Steak & Chop House, and Pappas Bros. I've eaten at the first two and they're good. III Forks was very expensive. Ruth's Chris is good.

The best BBQ in the metroplex is at Hutchin's in McKinney. Ranked #6 in the state by the Univ of Texas. But it's about 35 miles north. Try the "holy trinity" of Texas BBQ: brisket, ribs, and sausage. $20 for all you can eat.

The Stars play a home game next Thursday against the L.A. Kings.

The Texas State Fair is going on. If you ever went to the Danbury State Fair, it's a little like that, but much larger. Get yourself a corny dog and a picture with "Big Tex".

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  3. Newhavenhusky

Newhavenhusky Active Member

Thanks Redding I will look into your suggestions.

4. UConnNick

UConnNick from Vince Lombardi's home town

If you make it out to Arlington, you might want to try Corky's Pizza just off I-20 west in SW Arlington. They used to have a pizzeria in E. Hartford. They do a wood fired brick oven pizza which is pretty good.

5. J187Money

J187Money

Went to Gas Monkey Bar and Grill last time I was in town. Food was better than expected and I watch the show with the fam so there is some good gear to buy. Normally I stay up by the galleria on the north side of the city - nothing really of note up there (other than a really good cigar bar).

6. Mr. Conehead

Mr. Conehead

Downtown Dallas, at least back in the 2008/9 timeframe when I was there last is not know for its nightlife. More like downtown Hartford after 6 PM when the Huskies are not playing at the XL. The city is so large (landwise) and traffic is so bad, most flee as soon as they can and the downtown residential scene like a New York, DC, Atlanta, SF, etc. has yet to be developed outside of a small area around the AA Arena. Houston is the same way, though they get a little more foot traffic as their baseball stadium is downtown.

7. Redding Husky

Redding Husky I love Oktoberfest.

Some other thoughts:

1) Deep Ellum is allegedly a trendy area for nightlife. I'm 54 and my days of bar hopping are gone, so I haven't been there lately.

2) Victory Park is where the Stars and Mavericks play. There may be some places to eat around there. I usually just go to the games and go home.

3) The foods to eat here: a) steak, b) Tex-Mex (that's Mexican with meat added), and c) BBQ. Austin has better BBQ, but it's good in Dallas.

4) If you can, find the weekend "Guide" in Friday's Dallas Morning News. It has a fairly complete restaurant review section along with things to do here.