OT: Dallas trip help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by Newhavenhusky, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Newhavenhusky

Newhavenhusky Active Member

Headed to Dallas next week. I will be staying downtown. If anyone could give me suggestions for restaurants and things to do it would be appreciated!

2. husky8273

husky8273

Texas School Book Depository, George Bush Presidential Library on SMU campus

3. TXHuskyFan

TXHuskyFan

Dallas has pretty much everything. How much do you want to spend on dinner (expense account or trying to stay inexpensive?). Also, how old are you? Are you looking for cultural experiences or to hang with the college crowd?

There are some great steakhouses for dinner if you want to spend $$$. If not, then eat Mexican. You can drop a lot of $$ on authentic or stay cheaper with Tex mex.

Not really a lot of restaurants, etc downtown so if you are really downtown, you'll probably want a car or rely on uber/taxi to get to most everything. You can find food and fun downtown, just a little limited. If you have unlimited funds for dinner, there are 2 places I'd recommend downtown and one more in uptown.

Aside from that, if you tell me a little more what you are looking for, I might be more help.

4. RichZ

RichZ Methuselah's older brother

I used to say you haven't been to Dallas if you haven't eaten at Tolbert's. But I'm not even sure it's the same family runing it anymore now that it's ain Grapevine. I just realized it's been like 30 years since I ate there. Never mind.

5. TXHuskyFan

TXHuskyFan

Wow. Lived here 23 years and never been there, but a quick look and it looks like a place I'd enjoy. Grapevine is 20 or so minutes from downtown, so definitely doable for a visitor.

6. uconn1999

uconn1999

7. Newhavenhusky

I am using the expense account so I'm open to all suggestions. Looking for cultural experiences within the city.Also I'm willing to travel outside of the city if it's worth it.

8. Newhavenhusky

Thank you everyone for suggestions and I will try to check out as many places as possible!

9. CTPride

CTPride

Been living in Dallas for the past 5 years. Will you be here by the 23rd? The Texas State fair is here. People come from other states just to experience it and it will be completely packed during all hours of the day. Other than that Dallas is a boring city compared to NYC, Boston, LA, Chicago etc. Really the best thing are food joints. Like others have said, for night time fun check out Deep Ellum.

10. 8893

8893 Curiouser

I would give a shout to @Citrusdog to see if he can give you a custom itinerary for solving the JFK shooting.

11. TXHuskyFan

TXHuskyFan

If you have not been to the School Book Depository and care at all about the Kennedy assassination (some people don't anymore), then it is a must do. There are several museums downtown. The state fair is OK. Fort Worth Stockyards might be of interest if you are into the old west kind of thing. The Presidential Library is a good bet. This is the guide to museums.

As for restaurants, if you want steak, then try Bob's or Pappas Bros. YO Ranch downtown has all kinds of more exotic meats (elk, bison, etc.) and is pretty good and a little more casual (at least at lunch). The Mansion on Turtle Creek bounces between 4 and 5 stars (not sure if they still require jacket and tie). Wolfgang Puck's restaurant in the Tower is supposed to be decent. For local star chefs, Fearing's in the Ritz Carlton, Stephan Pyle's Flora Street Café (I have not been there, but all of his other restaurants have been top notch), or Abacus. For more authentic "high-end" Mexican, Javier's is a must. Most tex-mex places are decent. BBQ is great everywhere. There are the typical high-end chains like The Palm, Capital Grille, Mortons, Lawry's, etc. and every casual chain known to man.

For the bar scene, there are quite a few places in uptown that will be a little classier and quieter. Lower Greenville is the SMU crowd and will have bars, music, and more casual restaurants. Deep Ellum has more eclectic bars/music scene and a few restaurants.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Danzz likes this.
  12. Danzz

Danzz

Saint Martin on Greenville Ave. Pappas Bros. Steak House, 3 Forks , Mansion at Turtle Creek.

13. TXHuskyFan

TXHuskyFan

3 Forks is great, but pretty far north of downtown, although a straight shot up the tollway. Bob's is a lot closer to downtown, and Pappas is not that far north.

14. jslack03

jslack03

If you can get into Fort Worth, check out Redneck Heaven (if not with the family).

15. uconn1999

uconn1999

Brisket and ribs at Pecan Lodge, thank me later

16. Citrusdog

Citrusdog

Well... we've uncovered the final straws related to the assassination of JFK just about a month ago. It was far more sophisticated than 99.99% of the people know. We've learned quite a bit our government - since 1963. Again - it is so enormously corrupt - it is almost unfathomable. Anyone, who THE people put in office, was subject to a higher power. They allowed Nixon to exit gracefully. They tried to kill Reagan - as he was a huge threat. They failed - backed off and then there was blackmail involved. Bush knew all about the attempt on Reagan's life - that's why he was conveniently in Texas. But that's another story we are pursuing. I'd love to nail that old bastard - before he goes into the ground... he is a monster in sheep's clothing. Yes, he stood on the north side of Elm St waiting to see Kennedy's head get blown off. He fully knew of it - but - daddy told him to stay out of this one - if we he wanted a career in politics. If you believe Lee Harvey Oswald shot a gun that day - you are 100% misinformed (just the way they like it). If you believe anything in your history books - please realize - you are exactly what they want. I've spent a lot of time and money to get to the bottom of many 'political' type mysteries and I am not going to just tell you. But I will leave you with enough very interesting clues than will send you off looking. I appreciate all the work that the many have invested into the JFK event before me. I can tell you - you were all correct - it was a conspiracy as Jack Ruby alluded to on 2 different occasions and then on his dying bed when he told his cell mate - via a piece of paper. We'll go over the obvious, LBJ masterminded the entire thing - and had support from literally everybody - to eliminate Kennedy. (who was no saint - mind you). They had to kill Marilyn Monroe in 62' because she refused to have an abortion. Who here ( the readers of this) knows the players on the team that was sent to do that job in August 1962 in LA? Ah... that would be no one. So yes, it was a double murder.

Blame it on Tom...
    Many, many years ago (I believe 99') Tom said something to me that was very intriguing... and I coupled it with my own historical knowledge at the time and it started down the path of research. I believe it was a few months after we beat Duke 77-74. It started me down a 17 year trail to reach the truth about many things. What we learned a month or so ago.... is what made all of this worth while. Along the way we have met many who lived at the time of interest. Many from the military and much of what happened then carries over to today. November 22, 1963 is the moment in time - when America changed dramatically. Tom, you were correct.

Who has ever seen the original Zapruder film? My guess is no one. If you have - you would have an awful lot of questions. Now you know why the FBI and SS intervened so aggressively to take that and change it. (Remember there were 3 copies) I have seen it and I now know why they changed it as they did. So the 1975 Geraldo Rivera BS that they played on TV (supposedly for the first time) - was a complete farce.

If you can determine why John Ligget was so desperately needed - and his services were secured well in advance - and for enormous money - then you begin to get to the bottom of it. The other interesting component of it was... this was the one and only chance they were going to get - JFK had to die. Knowing that 'he had to die' immediately changed the game.

Now... just to piss off liberals... Where did I get all of this information? How was I able to see the original Zapruder film. Well... after the 16+ years of study... I learned about our government and politicians - and the corruption. I was able to connect it to the JFK assassination - that is where it all really began. Having 3 strokes - two years ago - may have been the best thing that has ever happened to me. God intervened and has taught me and showed me more in the last 2 years - than the first 53. 16+ years of research was quickly replaced by 10 minutes of truth.

Last clue... JFK was shot in the head from the front - but that was not all the happened to him.

On the Texas state fair...
    We were in Dallas in November 05' shooting commercials for Subway... we went to the fair and we thought it was great!!

The museum with the fictitious Z film - is a joke. Malcolm Wallace shot from the nest (fingerprints). Oh yeah, your government forgot to tell you that. When Trump gets in... I hope he exposes our corrupt government.

1) We can close this fictitious museum - correct it.
    2) Eliminate the museum in Texas for LBJ and his name everywhere
    3) Eliminate J. Edgar Hoover's name from everywhere - FBI buildings etc..

August_West and 8893 like this.
  17. 8893

8893 Curiouser

August_West and tcf15 like this.
  18. Bezzz

Bezzz

Citrus, how credible is James Files?

19. huskypantz

huskypantz UConn - We Recycle

I've stayed in Grapevine at the Gaylord Texan as part of a work trip/family vacation. The Fort Worth Stockyard was pretty cool. People walk around the streets with beer as well. FW downtown was okay, they had a few decent bars and restaurants, we ate Tex Mex at Mi Cocina which I'd recommend. We didn't do too much in Dallas other than the Aquarium and the zoo for the kids.

20. tomtom80

tomtom80

Was in Dallas last month. My suggestion is to check out any of the great Brazillian steak houses. The concept is great. It's death by meat. Pay one price and the waiters parade by all dinner long with skewers of meat - fresh off grill. I had garlic infused sirloin, prime rib, bacon wrapped filet( multiple times) rack of lamb, leg of lamb, baby back rib, sausage,,,,, can't remember all. I do remember that I was soooo stuffed my shoes were tight. Death by meat!!

Dove likes this.
  21. TXHuskyFan

TXHuskyFan

Mi Cocina is one of the fancier Tex-mex chains, leaning more to the mex side. It's good. Fort Worth zoo is way better than Dallas. Downtown Fort Worth is definitely more active than downtown Dallas particularly the Sundance Square area, but if you are staying in Dallas, probably not worth the drive.

22. TXHuskyFan

TXHuskyFan

There is a Texas de Brazil in or near uptown. If you get up to Addison, there is a Fogo de Chao. Both are national chains and not truly Dallas, but you would not regret either one if you like meat. If you go, go hungry and don't load up on stuff from the GIGANTIC salad bar. Take a little bit and when the meats start coming around, make a decision as to how much vegies you want to compliment your meal. You won't want to waste much stomach space on the non-meats.

23. HooperScooper

HooperScooper

I think Deepster would die just watching people eat there.

August_West likes this.
  24. Citrusdog

Citrusdog

This man has cost us more time and money than anyone I think - and he is still alive. What he says on his YouTube videos of many years ago - is accurate. We have never found anything he has said to be false. He did shoot from the grassy knoll with a frangible bullet from an xp100 fireball... Like mine... And did hit JFK in the right temple...But... That is all he knows. He did witness the head explosion through the scope and he thought he was 100% responsible for that due to speed of the .222 round and because it was a frangible round - which creates an explosive and violent effect on impact. The round travels approximately 3200 feet per second and But that was not all of it. Remember... JFK had to die...Files was a backup plan - but not the ultimate back up plan. Unfortunately... Two backup plans went into effect at the sane time - this what caused all the 'conspiracy talk'. Jean Hill did see the muzzle blast of File's shot. Many people knew someone shot from the knoll. The infamous 'back and to the left' stuff. Heck, they couldn't remove that from the film. But they started to sell people the idea that shooting someone in the back of the head... Makes the head go backwards and to the left. There are people who actually believed this - and still do.

They were not going to get another chance before LBJ was indicted. I hope to be speaking with Files soon showing him some evidence that he and an awful lot of other people have not seen - although he is quite old and of very poor health from my understanding. Back to the real (undisturbed Zapruder film). The government 'compartmentalized' operations - so it became easier to deal with legs of the octopus. Just cut it off. That is why he thought he and Charles Nicoletti were the only ones shooting a gun in Dealey Plaza - not true - because he knew of no one else - due to what he was told. We know of 5 shooters (and locations) for sure and definitely a 6th with with an approximate location. (The bullet hole in the windshield - front to back) There is a lot of bad information out there that muddies the waters. The following is not true and has been made up out of thin air by wanna be heroes doing research: shooting from an umbrella and shooting from the drains. All of that is false. Last clue... What if I told you he wasn't killed with a rifle. Hmmm... Yeah...that was all a set up... Holding the rifle up in the air - walking out of the TSBD - for the corrupt media (CBS, ABC and NBC) ..or whoever they were at the time - to film. They had the story planned for 2 years. This is THE moment in time when the government took over all the media - in a very planned fashion. LBJ and his buddies were monsters... The Bushes were fully aware (Prescott and Georgy porgey). If you research the head wounds on Kennedy and get to see the original Z film frame by frame you realize what happen in that car. And no.. The driver did not shoot him with a pistol - more make believe bs.

The two backup plans collided and created a situation that was very challenging to address. The Z film could never exist in its original state.

As bad as the JFK assassination was... It truly is the tip of the iceberg. And our government has never been the same - from that moment. The Clintons' were 18 years old and modeled their political careers after LBJ. It's not their fault they are so screwed up. They learned from a monster. The Bushes are monsters too. Even Joe Kennedy (monster) was pulling strings until his death. Joe ordered the hit on Marilyn when she wouldn't have the abortion. RFK begged her to do it... She was determined to have it - so it became her death sentence. Did the Clintons' take out Jon-Jon in 99' so Hillary could take the NY senate?

Bezzz likes this.
  25. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

1) I've never been to Dallas. Maybe they have an Olive Garden or a Red Robin.

2) You know how sometimes you see something and it's a little odd and your first instinct is to make fun of it but then you think about it and you realize something is very, very wrong and you should not be making fun of it? This is one of those times. Tread lightly.

3) If they don't have an Olive Garden, maybe they have one of those Cheesecake places? Or just find a hooker and order room service.

August_West and tomtom80 like this.