OT: CPAP machine info | The Boneyard

OT: CPAP machine info

Reaction Score
Just got mine tonight and having trouble getting used to it, I'm going a half hour at a time. My apnea was judged severe (stop breathing 30+ times hour). Machine is Philips Resporonics dream maker and is set at 8-16. Actually feels hard to breathe and very warm. Would appreciate experience and/or the advice of others. Thanks.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Just got mine tonight and having trouble getting used to it, I'm going a half hour at a time. My apnea was judged severe (stop breathing 30+ times hour). Machine is Philips Resporonics dream maker and is set at 8-16. Actually feels hard to breathe and very warm. Would appreciate experience and/or the advice of others. Thanks.

Wear the mask an hour a day, unplugged, just to get used to it. Don't look in a mirror, you're going to look stupid as hell. Get used to it.

Use the ramp setting. You'll be wearing the mask with the machine on a very low setting. After you fall asleep (hopefully, after) it ramps up slowly so you don't notice it, much.

Download "sleepyhead" and get a card reader. Seeing your progress is good motivation.

Dial down the humidifier. Personally, I'd rather have dry cold air than the humidifier, which is awful. I've gone to turning it off, and using a humidier in my bedroom.

There's an exhale relief setting. Makes it easier to get used to.

Don't try to put vodka in the water chamber instead of distilled water. It doesn't work. At least not as intended.

Last two words: Indica edibles.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wear the mask an hour a day, unplugged, just to get used to it. Don't look in a mirror, you're going to look stupid as hell. Get used to it.

Use the ramp setting. You'll be wearing the mask with the machine on a very low setting. After you fall asleep (hopefully, after) it ramps up slowly so you don't notice it, much.

Download "sleepyhead" and get a card reader. Seeing your progress is good motivation.

Dial down the humidifier. Personally, I'd rather have dry cold air than the humidifier, which is awful. I've gone to turning it off, and using a humidier in my bedroom.

There's an exhale relief setting. Makes it easier to get used to.

Don't try to put vodka in the water chamber instead of distilled water. It doesn't work. At least not as intended.

Last two words: Indica edibles.
Thanks Tom it is pushing 4:30Am and I'm done with it for tonight. Will try your suggestions ,

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Thanks Tom it is pushing 4:30Am and I'm done with it for tonight. Will try your suggestions ,

I only get through the night a few times a month, but it’s not because of the mask. I have central sleep apnea, which needs a different machine. The first full nights sleep you get you’ll notice a big difference.

With that said, I’ve been up since 10 last night. I’m hoping to get to sleep by noon so I can sleep through the football game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Takes a while to get used to sleeping with it. Had mine for going on seven years and still wake up at last once a night with it.

Patience is a virtue. You will notice a difference within a few months so hang in there with it.

If you decide to chuck it call your doctor and he can adjust the settings. That seemed to help with me....

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Very normal experience. I wanted to throw it out the window after the first 20 minutes, it was so insanely unnatural. For me, it took about a month to get used to... just try to do a little bit longer each night until you get mostly or all the way through the night. I can’t sleep without it now. Good luck.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Try to relax when your lying there and think calm thoughts, don't fight it. I might try a gentle sleep aid like Emergen-C with melatonin.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It helps to pick something to focus on other than the machine. Pick a favorite beach or a favorite person and concentrate on that. Give yourself slack on the tube.

I gave up on the humidifier whe the heater died. Turns out I like it better without it.

Stick with it it gets better.

Reaction Score
Been using 1 for 20 years. Can’t sleep without now. My doc just recommended that mask as mine is obsolete now. I tried it on, but without air. Have to do something soon. Good luck getting acclimated to it.

Reaction Score
Agreed, just concentrate on Chief and everything will be ok.
It helps to pick something to focus on other than the machine. Pick a favorite beach or a favorite person and concentrate on that. Give yourself slack on the tube.

I gave up on the humidifier whe the heater died. Turns out I like it better without it.

Stick with it it gets better.
My daughter disconnected the humidifier and it helps. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Go on YouTube as well. tons of videos, including ones that show you how to get into the settings to dial down the maximum pressure, so that when it hits its maximum pressure, after ramp up, it won’t be as high as it normally would go. Ask your doctor if it’s OK, but for me my philosophy is I would rather be able to wear that mask for 5+ hours a night than 0 hours a night. And with the downloadable apps, it’ll send the info to your phone each day, showing you how many apnea’s you have each night with mask, etc, and if the apnea numbers are super low to negligible, with the dialed down setting of max pressure, then you’ll know, you’re OK. That worked for me. Lastly, as others have said, program in a long ramp up time. I do a 30 minute ramp up time, with the idea that I’ll be asleep by the time the thing starts ramping up and blowing air in my nose, rather than an earlier ramp up time where I find myself struggling for an hour or two to fall asleep. And then, when I do wake up in the middle of the night, I just turned the machine off, and then turn it back on to get a fresh 30 minute ramp up time. My philosophy is I would rather get some mileage than no mileage on the machine.

Reaction Score
Go on YouTube as well. tons of videos, including ones that show you how to get into the settings to dial down the maximum pressure, so that when it hits its maximum pressure, after ramp up, it won’t be as high as it normally would go. Ask your doctor if it’s OK, but for me my philosophy is I would rather be able to wear that mask for 5+ hours a night than 0 hours a night. And with the downloadable apps, it’ll send the info to your phone each day, showing you how many apnea’s you have each night with mask, etc, and if the apnea numbers are super low to negligible, with the dialed down setting of max pressure, then you’ll know, you’re OK. That worked for me. Lastly, as others have said, program in a long ramp up time. I do a 30 minute ramp up time, with the idea that I’ll be asleep by the time the thing starts ramping up and blowing air in my nose, rather than an earlier ramp up time where I find myself struggling for an hour or two to fall asleep. And then, when I do wake up in the middle of the night, I just turned the machine off, and then turn it back on to get a fresh 30 minute ramp up time. My philosophy is I would rather get some mileage than no mileage on the machine.
I have the ramp feature but never use it. You can get used to anything. Hang in there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom