OT Cowboys fake punt | The Boneyard

OT Cowboys fake punt

Reaction Score
Mike McCarthy supposedly spent his year out of football crash coursing the analytics because he felt it had him at a disadvantage.

So, in a horrible year where his team, loaded with offensive talent is underperforming. Yet STILL in a horrible division, he's in a playoff fight....he tries THAT play? Jesus. Inexcusable.

Reaction Score
Btw it was a 4th and 11 with 12 minutes left down 4. This was on there own 30. Earlier in the game they went't for it on their own 30 on 4th and inches and threw a 20 yard pattern (obviously incomplete). Thank god the Giants didnt hire Mccarthy who they were rumored to interested in, he makes Jason Garrett look good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The play was meant for that player to throw the ball. At first it looked like the punter was covered, but then his coverage went to the ball. If he had just waited a second more he would have had a big play. Just watch the punter.

Its a case of not selling the run to create the pass.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The play was meant for that player to throw the ball. At first it looked like the punter was covered, but then his coverage went to the ball. If he had just waited a second more he would have had a big play. Just watch the punter.

If you see the all-22 angle, you'll see that there was someone 15-20 yards downfield past the punter that was wide open. It was certainly an interesting time to call a fake punt, but the receiver was supposed to throw the ball to a wide open player and just didn't pull the trigger for whatever reason.

Reaction Score

Yep he panicked, you better execute if you do it on your own 30 on 4th and 11. Still a questionable time to do it with 12 minutes left.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Even if you end up making it that's still a horrible risk to take. You make it, you're still driving, potentially still in your own territory and may still not get any points. You don't, the game is over. You punt it, you will definitely get the ball back with a chance to tie or win if you don't give up a touchdown on the next drive.

I can't remember the last time I saw such an egregious coaching call.

Reaction Score
Btw it was a 4th and 11 with 12 minutes left down 4. This was on there own 30. Earlier in the game they went't for it on their own 30 on 4th and inches and threw a 20 yard pattern (obviously incomplete). Thank god the Giants didnt hire Mccarthy who they were rumored to interested in, he makes Jason Garrett look good.

Correction it wasnt a 20 yard pattern on the 4th and inches play it was a 5 yard pattern to Cedee Lamb, who was interfered with btw, never put the game in the hands of the refs to make a judgement call refs won't throw a flag every play.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Cowboys play call yesterday was a total joke. Their playing and execution wasn't much better either. And yet, there were multiple points when they could have stolen momentum.

Reaction Score

This was lol funny. I thought football was gonna be boring today but the Cowboys never fail to entertain me.

So much dumb, so little time.

First of all, it wasn't a run play, it was a pass. AND the punter was wide open at the bottom of the screen if the ball had been thrown like it was intended. The guy with the ball, Cedric Wilson, is a receiver, and he threw a TD pass against the Giants earlier in the season

Second, the first time they went for it on 4th down, they did not throw a "20 yard pass", it went 7 yards and the defender committed a penalty.

But you dopes keep going. Don't let facts get in the way of your rant

Reaction Score

First of all, it wasn't a run play, it was a pass. AND the punter was wide open at the bottom of the screen if the ball had been thrown like it was intended. The guy with the ball, Cedric Wilson, is a receiver, and he threw a TD pass against the Giants earlier in the season

Second, the first time they went for it on 4th down, they did not throw a "20 yard pass", it went 7 yards and the defender committed a penalty.

I corrected myself after my original post, and brought up all those points. Everyone has said it was a good play design btw, horribly executed.

Speaking of facts btw the Cowboys went for on 4th and 11 and 4th and inches btw and failed to convert that’s a fact correct? Showing a play that happened is not a rant, your the one going on a rant.

Reaction Score

I can't imagine why anyone would try to make excuses for the Cowboys. The owner is in no way qualified to make football decisions. Money doesn't buy intelligent thought. He should try hiring football people and sit back and enjoy the games. But hey, it's his money to throw away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom