OT: Computer Games (or other video games) | The Boneyard

OT: Computer Games (or other video games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I getting tired of playing Civ 5 Brave New Worlds. I'm a strategy game lover and love this game but its getting monotonous and time for a change.

Trying out Endless Lenged but before I become too engrossed I thought I'd ask; what are you guys playing these days? Any recommendations? I'm sort of a weekend player.

Sorry don't have Playstation, XBox or Wii, and I know that won't stop many of you guys offering up those platforms. That's fine because many are available for PC.

Reaction Score
I've been hooked on the Shadowrun series lately. There are several of them cheap on Steam right now. They're turn-based strategy RPGs with a cyberpunk/fantasy theme set in a handful of major world cities (Seattle, Berlin, Hong Kong, Boston).

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
RTS games were always my favorite but at my age I can't play nearly enough to stay competitive online which is the only way I like to play. Surprisingly the biggest fix for the itch has been Hearthstone. Its Blizzard's entrance into the card deck turn based games (like magic the gathering). If you're like I was, you cringe at the thought of playing this type of game, but I tried it and became instantly addicted. It's open ended and strategic enough to keep you interested but simple enough to where you can play it when you like and not get your tail kicked by 15 year olds.

Difficulty now is its a bit of a grind to build up your card base and the game is on its 3rd or 4th expansion so it could take you a bit to catch up. There are some simple decks and strats you can acquire fast though and have a good enough time with.

/EndGeek

Reaction Score
images

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Grepolis is a serious strategy game. I had to swear it off before I got fired and divorced.

Reaction Score
I've been hooked on the Shadowrun series lately. There are several of them cheap on Steam right now. They're turn-based strategy RPGs with a cyberpunk/fantasy theme set in a handful of major world cities (Seattle, Berlin, Hong Kong, Boston).

Did you see that the same company that makes the Shadowrun games is doing a Battletech game on Kickstarter? They just hit the 2 Million mark. I pitched in, it looks promising.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you like PC RPG's, but "Undertale" has gotten absolutely stellar reviews. It's sort of a weird take on RPG's and how we're emotionally connected to them: http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/undertale-review/1900-715/

Strategy-wise, if you like city building, Cities: Skylines is pretty awesome and probably goes on sale for Steam pretty often.

I have some friends who have been playing Planetbase quite a bit which involves colonizing a new planet and seems pretty slick though I haven't played it.

Reaction Score
For the closest thing to actually being in the military, try Project Reality. Its a mod for Battlefield 2

also Hearts of Iron

Reaction Score
https://www.gog.com/

If you're looking for remastered versions of oldies and will be compatible with new machines. Bought a couple from here like the updated Grim Fandango with no problems. Might need to replay some Sierra classics like Police Quest, Kings Quest, Space Quest, and Quest for Glory.

Reaction Score

If you're looking for remastered versions of oldies and will be compatible with new machines. Bought a couple from here like the updated Grim Fandango with no problems. Might need to replay some Sierra classics like Police Quest, Kings Quest, Space Quest, and Quest for Glory.

GOG has nearly ruined my life several times with their crazy lightning sales.

Reaction Score

Your post lead me to: DOS

Dune 2 was my addiction.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
8893 said:
Kent, Lonnie, meet Mohammed, Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton...

Grab a seat and make yourselves at home...

Reaction Score
My absolute favorite was Command and Conquer. I really wish they continued to make that game.

Reaction Score
DotA 2 is the only game that I have needed to keep me entertained. Played it on/off since Summer 2012 and still have never gotten bored of it. It is in the vein of an RTS/Command and Conquer game, same view and control scheme. However, you only control one central unit (some units have sub-units). It is pretty great and there is much depth to it. Insane learning curve due to the complexity. There are 5 members/team with positions being defined as 1-5... kinda like basketball in a sense of every player having a role.

The developing company and owner of Steam, Valve, hosts annual tournaments and are making an effort to host 4 tournaments/yr a la golf/tennis majors.

ESPN featured the latest tournament on E:60 last night. I have not watched it, but here it is.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My absolute favorite was Command and Conquer. I really wish they continued to make that game.
The original is now abandonware, as is Red Alert. Both the GDI and Hand of Nod sides are free and legal downloads. Also available are detailed walkthroughs when you get bored or need a little help clearing a board. You will need a DOS emulator and the board does not stretch across an HD computer screen, but it's still great fun to relive my mid-teen years.

Reaction Score
@bballgrda is that the one that is now on draft kings?

https://www.draftkings.com/lp/esports - says that is League of Legends. It is the same genre and immensely more popular game. I played it for a year or so before learning about dota, it does not come close to the strategic or mechanical depth of dota. Also the developer's design philosophy and overall competence is much lower. They do know how to grab the lowest common denominator's attention though, I will give them that! (being first to market helps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom