OT? CNN Article: Want Your Kids To Thrive? Let Them Fail - by Muffet McGraw | The Boneyard

OT? CNN Article: Want Your Kids To Thrive? Let Them Fail - by Muffet McGraw

Reaction Score
(CNN) "Oh the times, they are a changin'." Those words from a famous Bob Dylan song may not be something most people associate with college athletics, but they help illustrate a seismic shift in the way parents and kids view their athletic opportunities. Baby boomer parents who were "old school" have given way to Gen X parents who have sheltered their kids from disappointment, adversity and failure and by doing so have left them without the skills or toughness to navigate through life. This is a generation of kids who come to college having never learned the valuable lessons that failing teaches us.

Sounds like it could be right out of Geno's playbook. Maybe they have more in common than just basketball and Philadelphia.

Full article [HERE]

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
(CNN) "Oh the times, they are a changin'." Those words from a famous Bob Dylan song may not be something most people associate with college athletics, but they help illustrate a seismic shift in the way parents and kids view their athletic opportunities. Baby boomer parents who were "old school" have given way to Gen X parents who have sheltered their kids from disappointment, adversity and failure and by doing so have left them without the skills or toughness to navigate through life. This is a generation of kids who come to college having never learned the valuable lessons that failing teaches us.

Sounds like it could be right out of Geno's playbook. Maybe they have more in common than just basketball and Philadelphia.

Full article [HERE]
For once in my life I agree with what MM says. Wow, I never thought in a million years I would agree with her let alone a coach from dreaded ND.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
"Want Your Kids To Thrive? Let Them Fail" - Funny how she chose to pen this article after her team got whupped by UConn! I see, now I understand, this was all part of her plan to let her team "thrive" in March?? ;)

(but yes, I agree with her underlying point.)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I taught for 33+ years as a public school band director/ music teacher. I completely agree with MM.

As I use to tell my students and their parents, the only time you fail is when you don't try. The follow up was always if you didn't reach your goal, it doesn't mean you were wrong. Maybe you just bit off more than you could chew. Or your goal was too big for the present time. Make smaller goals to reach the big one.

BTW - the 16+ years I spent teaching middle school band was the absolute best!!!!!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree fully with the article. It is stunning to me how noteworthy a thought that was the prevailing wisdom only a short time ago has become.

I have had the pleasure of working with kids both in teams and other organizations. Modern parents often resist the idea of accountability initially but come around when they see the results both on the field and in the real world that comes from it. Letting kids fail with accountability, but without recrimination, and allowing them to find their own solutions is one the greatest gifts you can give to your children. When they go off to uncertain and often unforgiving world, they are confident and prepared.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the NYC schools, we have that 'failing' thing down to a science. :(

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Muffet would know right? She's 2-4 in NCAA Finals and 2 other final four losses...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I taught for 33+ years as a public school band director/ music teacher. I completely agree with MM.

As I use to tell my students and their parents, the only time you fail is when you don't try. The follow up was always if you didn't reach your goal, it doesn't mean you were wrong. Maybe you just bit off more than you could chew. Or your goal was too big for the present time. Make smaller goals to reach the big one.

BTW - the 16+ years I spent teaching middle school band was the absolute best!!!!!!!
I agree with you and MM. In life, a failure CAN be a lesson learned. With instruments if failure isn't experienced early on and often you have a virtuoso on your hands.
You deserve credit and a medal for staying with it that long.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
One point you passed over was the comment about players and calling home on the cell phones. Remember, this was a number of years ago - we are approaching 8 years in Arizona - but Vivian gave a rant about cell phones and players calling parents after a tough game and, well, it was all pretty much in line with the MM article.

Odd that it has actually been that long that this sort of thing has been building. We see it all the time, we had 2 transfers out of AZ this year already, and, to point at another sport, while I fully get the NFL hopefuls that don't participate in Bowl Games, well, for example, there was an article in the paper today about how much they are potentially costing their coaches in bonuses as their absence can be crippling. I get it, but it also speaks to all of this, I think.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
What is Muffet teaching them? I know, that they are entitled to winning, how to whine when they don't get their way, bullying, and poor sportsmanship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom