OT: Chuck Kaiton Out As Hurricanes Radio Guy | The Boneyard

OT: Chuck Kaiton Out As Hurricanes Radio Guy

Reaction Score
They are doing away with radio to simulcast the tv broadcast. They offered him a 80% pay cut which he declined. Estimates were 2000 listeners. He hadn't missed a game in 39 years since 1979. Since he's 66 he'll retire I'm sure, but he's naturally sad about it.

Reaction Score
Kaitlin was a legend. Don’t blame him for not accepting cut.

Reaction Score
UConn Hockey could use a guy.

That would be great. An easy job for a true pro at retirement age. It would be really cool to hear him call UConn games. It might also add a little something to the broadcast for old Whaler fans trying to get into UConn hockey. Probably not a job worth him relocating for, but you never know.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That would be great. An easy job for a true pro at retirement age. It would be really cool to hear him call UConn games. It might also add a little something to the broadcast for old Whaler fans trying to get into UConn hockey. Probably not a job worth him relocating for, but you never know.

That would be amazing. Kaiton is incredible - just get him a feed and he can call it from his laptop.

Reaction Score
That would be amazing. Kaiton is incredible - just get him a feed and he can call it from his laptop.

I was thinking that too. I’m just afraid it wouldn’t be the same. I always felt that he was really part of the family and it might be hard to buy in when I know he’s in his den in NC. I’d still prefer it to someone else though.

Reaction Score
Hell have him just go back and call the goals from the last BU game at home - especially the Letunov goal

Reaction Score
I was thinking that too. I’m just afraid it wouldn’t be the same. I always felt that he was really part of the family and it might be hard to buy in when I know he’s in his den in NC. I’d still prefer it to someone else though.
Chuck could announce anything and it would be an incredible.
Had a buddy who knew him and chuck did his answering machine recording for him back in the 90’s. It was awesome.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Was he a Whalers guy?

I remember so vividly listening to Kaiton on a transistor radio under my pillow. He had me thinking Mike Liut was a God.

Hurricanes really treated him like crap in this situation and it makes me sentimental and sad.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Did Andre Lacroix get the boot, too?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I can still here that post game...

[deep bass line jam]

"Welcome to the Westledge Three Star Award Show and here's Chuck Kaiton!!"

I would have a Maxxell cassette tape ready to record all the Whaler highlights and have the ultimate mix tape of goals. Awesome times!! Man, that Game 6 game winner from Kevin Dineen over the Canadiens.

Reaction Score
I remember so vividly listening to Kaiton on a transistor radio under my pillow. He had me thinking Mike Liut was a God.

Hurricanes really treated him like crap in this situation and it makes me sentimental and sad.

He's a good guy, but exactly how much do you want someone to pay a guy announcing to a crowd the size of Rentschler late in the fourth quarter of a rainy thurs night game against URI? I'm not sure saying, hey, Chuck, you can stay, but I can not pay you a whole lot when 2000 Carolinians are listening to you each night, is treating someone like crap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom