OT: Charles Oakley and the Knicks | The Boneyard

OT: Charles Oakley and the Knicks

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The final shred of respect that I had for the Knicks organization - and it was a tiny shred - is gone. The ownership has been low class for quite some time, but provoking a great ex-Knick and then embellishing what went down is very low indeed. As if the Melo/Zen Master fiasco was not enough .... I frankly do not understand why this franchise still has seats filled.

Reaction Score
As an article in the News said people need to stand up, or not sit down in the seats at MSG.

Reaction Score
I used to be Knicks and SF 49er fan. But no more .

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It has long been clear to me that the problem with the Knicks whom I once loved so dearly was Dolan, a very poor man's Jerry Jones. I'll not list his series of ClownCar decisions and interference that has led to the caricature of itself that the Knicks have become. Oakley is just the small whitehead at the top of this vast and nasty boil that the team I once adored has become. I'd say this is a sad time for Knicks fans, but that's not really true. It's been a sad time for Knicks fans for 30 odd years. The Knicks need a very rich bidder or a hostile takeover to Dump Dolan. Vote with your empty seats.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see film of the situation. From what I can pull from the reports, Oakley was sitting a bit behind Dolan, and doing his fair share of heckling. That shouldn't get you kicked out, unless you are being foul or abusive. There is no doubt in my mind that Oakley did that on purpose, and if he's anything like he was as a player, was likely pushing the envelope.

As for the pseudo protest noted above, the answer would be to not go to the games. If you are a season ticket holder, don't buy anything; t-shirts, nachos, beers...buy nothing. Due to security rules you can't wear a paper bag over your head (ala The Aints), which is too bad; that would clearly depict your concern. Of course, I would expect Dolan to scan film and pull people's season tix if they did, so maybe leaving the seat empty would be best.

I agree with Spike (!); Phil must go.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'd like to see film of the situation. From what I can pull from the reports, Oakley was sitting a bit behind Dolan, and doing his fair share of heckling. That shouldn't get you kicked out, unless you are being foul or abusive. There is no doubt in my mind that Oakley did that on purpose, and if he's anything like he was as a player, was likely pushing the envelope.

As for the pseudo protest noted above, the answer would be to not go to the games. If you are a season ticket holder, don't buy anything; t-shirts, nachos, beers..buy nothing. Due to security rules you can't wear a paper bag over your head (ala The Aints), which is too bad; that would clearly depict your concern. Of course, I would expect Dolan to scan film and pull people's season tix if they did, so maybe leaving the seat empty would be best.

I agree with Spike (!); Phil must go.
The deal is Oak has been very critical of Dolan and the way he has handled his residency as enlightened Knicks despot. There has been much back and forth over the years, some of it vicious and childish on both sides. Ultimately, according to Oakley, he has extended an olive branch to Dolan which was not excepted. This latest episode is just a culmination of something that has been stewing on the back burner for years. Oakley insists he said nothing to Dolan during the game. He says the security team follows him around whenever he attends the game. The other night they simply approached him while he was seated and demanded Oakley to leave. Today, all of us current and former Knicks fans should be wearing Charles Oakley jersey's.

Reaction Score
I used to be Knicks and SF 49er fan. But no more .

Funny, I am a fan of both (49ers only non-NY team.) However, you gotta stick through it if you are a fan. Although I do believe you can make your voice heard as I cut my subscriptions to both for now, but they are still my teams....unfortunately.

Reaction Score
The deal is Oak has been very critical of Dolan and the way he has handled his residency as enlightened Knicks despot. There has been much back and forth over the years, some of it vicious and childish on both sides. Ultimately, according to Oakley, he has extended an olive branch to Dolan which was not excepted. This latest episode is just a culmination of something that has been stewing on the back burner for years. Oakley insists he said nothing to Dolan during the game. He says the security team follows him around whenever he attends the game. The other night they simply approached him while he was seated and demanded Oakley to leave. Today, all of us current and former Knicks fans should be wearing Charles Oakley jersey's.

I agree with everything you said. One point though, and Steven A said the same thing, he is still responsible for putting his hands on others. If it was any of us and we were asked to leave then started pushing security we would get slammed down. I have seen it done a number of times at sporting events and it doesn't matter your background. There are reports that he had been drinking and vulgar. Its just unfortunate as he is definitely a beloved Knickerbocker and it should have been handled better from both sides, plus it just adds to the dysfunctional circus known as the Knicks.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's been a sad time for Knicks fans for 30 odd years.

Amen and amen. Huge swatches of season tickets are in the hands of corporations which use them as entertainment for clients from hither, thither and yone. This organization has no accountability to fans because it has so few and yet the revenue is there. This affliction saps the energy of every big market sports franchise.

Reaction Score
The Knicks are completely dysfunctional from top to bottom. Dolan has ruined the team and franchise, and Phil Jackson (aside from drafting KP) has done little to help the situation. It is what it is at the moment, but they may have room to go lower before they bottom out and start to bounce back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom