OT: Celts Rumored to be Trading #1 to Sixers

Status
Not open for further replies.
No players involved. One rumor is #3, Lakers 2018 1st, and future Philly 1st.

I like Fultz but that's a major haul to move down two spots if you like someone else just as much.

On the surface it seems like a no brainer. They just need to hope LAL doesnt pull off a trade for PG because then LAL would become thoroughly mediocre and I don't expect Philly will be in the lottery much longer, health provided.

I advocated for this earlier in the season but they have far too many potential options to risk Blake, unless they can get him on a shorter deal, which is unlikely.
What do you think of Fultz? I admittedly haven't seen enough of him to make the most informed opinion but from what I've seen I'm not sold on him being a surefire great player "star" type.

I have very few original opinions on the players in this years draft class, but if Fultz is a step or two above everyone else like people keep saying, then I think it's very clearly a win for Philly. Fultz would theoretically be their third blue chipper and Boston would still be looking for their first. At some point if you're Ainge how long can you kick the can down the road here? Is there a glass ceiling to how many first round picks you can compile?

I feel like with 2018 Philly you're maybe looking at the 15th pick and with 2018 LA maybe the 5th or 6th pick, possibly worse with them having no incentive to tank.

I don't care how many picks you have, it's hard to get players that matter in this league. If Fultz is definitely gonna be one of those, you either keep him or you trade him for somebody else that matters. OKC could have had the moon for Harden - you don't want to be the guy ending up with Jeremy Lamb, Steven Adams, and Domantas Sabonis in this deal and that's exactly the risk.

What do you think of Fultz? I admittedly haven't seen enough of him to make the most informed opinion but from what I've seen I'm not sold on him being a surefire great player "star" type.
Same. I barely watched him at Washington and while I was impressed with his play on the US team but I don't see top 10 star. I am also nowhere close to an expert and possibly quite bad at these projections. I would be shocked if more than a few on this board raving about him as a guaranteed star has seen him play more than a couple of times.

These rumors always happen draft week. Celts are hoping for a home run offer.

My guess is they draft and keep fultz. Use isaiah as a mentor and a way to keep winning while bringing fultz along.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
I have very few original opinions on the players in this years draft class, but if Fultz is a step or two above everyone else like people keep saying, then I think it's very clearly a win for Philly. Fultz would theoretically be their third blue chipper and Boston would still be looking for their first. At some point if you're Ainge how long can you kick the can down the road here? Is there a glass ceiling to how many first round picks you can compile?

I feel like with 2018 Philly you're maybe looking at the 15th pick and with 2018 LA maybe the 5th or 6th pick, possibly worse with them having no incentive to tank.

I don't care how many picks you have, it's hard to get players that matter in this league. If Fultz is definitely gonna be one of those, you either keep him or you trade him for somebody else that matters. OKC could have had the moon for Harden - you don't want to be the guy ending up with Jeremy Lamb, Steven Adams, and Domantas Sabonis in this deal and that's exactly the risk.
While I agree and that's a huge consideration. The other side of the coin is that he has kicked the can because he hasn't gotten the perfect opportunity, but keep trying until you get as many as possible.

In theory, say they make this trade and draft Jackson, then sign Hayward. Or any other number of options where they have a roster with 2-3 very good players. Then they have all these picks.

If they NAIL a guy in the next year-two, they will be perennial championship contenders.

Same. I barely watched him at Washington and while I was impressed with his play on the US team but I don't see top 10 star. I am also nowhere close to an expert and possibly quite bad at these projections. I would be shocked if more than a few on this board raving about him as a guaranteed star has seen him play more than a couple of times.
Strengths:
  • Athleticism
  • Size(Can play both guard spots.)
  • Length(6'10 wingspan.)
  • Shooting(41% on 5 attempts per game.)
  • Passing(6 assists per game for a terrible Washington team)
  • Efficiency(48% from the field)
  • Overall scoring ability(Can score from anywhere, Above average at all three levels)
Weaknesses:
  • FT shooting(65%)
  • Defense(Lack of effort at times, but can be attributed to the pointlessness of trying to win and carrying the team on offense. Plus potential to improve because of his size and length. Still averaged 1.6 steals, and 1.2 blocks a game.)

He Doesn't have lots of Weaknesses. He's a stud.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Josh Jackson - I agree and said that in another post and BU Husky made some remark about me not knowing the NBA (LOL)
I said I would either take JJ 1st or I would take Ball and trade his arse to Minnesota or Milwaukee for not wanting to tryout for the Green
I really like JJ and Fultz is a real good player but they have IT and AB (who I really like) and Rozier also

Strengths:
  • Athleticism
  • Size(Can play both guard spots.)
  • Length(6'10 wingspan.)
  • Shooting(41% on 5 attempts per game.)
  • Passing(6 assists per game for a terrible Washington team)
  • Efficiency(48% from the field)
  • Overall scoring ability(Can score from anywhere, Above average at all three levels)
Weaknesses:
  • FT shooting(65%)
  • Defense(Lack of effort at times, but can be attributed to the pointlessness of trying to win and carrying the team on offense. Plus potential to improve because of his size and length. Still averaged 1.6 steals, and 1.2 blocks a game.)

He Doesn't have lots of Weaknesses. He's a stud.
None of this confirms to me that he is a guarantee superstar. A lot of guys who are talked about as can't miss don't become superstars. And most of the players on the All NBA team's weren't viewed as can't miss.

Outside of Lebron and KD and maybe AD in recent memory, the draft is a crapshoot. I would rather have 2-3 potential top 5 picks than one Markelle Fultz.

I agree, I heard earlier Saric or someone would be with this. That is potentially doable.

They have Brown and Crowder, now add Jackson, no Hayward and pay a 5-9 PG who plays zero D and gets hammered by bigger players max $$? Huh

Fultz is a star, why in the world are the Celtics doing this.

None of this confirms to me that he is a guarantee superstar. A lot of guys who are talked about as can't miss don't become superstars. And most of the players on the All NBA team's weren't viewed as can't miss.

Outside of Lebron and KD and maybe AD in recent memory, the draft is a crapshoot. I would rather have 2-3 potential top 5 picks than one Markelle Fultz.
You can have the best player in the draft, or the second/third, and some picks that could land anywhere. I'll take the surefire star.

Also, some rumors on Twitter this could be a way to package enough to get Butler, which could be great

I love Fultz though, this he's a future 10x AS

Status
Not open for further replies.