OT: Cell phone signal booster | The Boneyard

OT: Cell phone signal booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I get crappy cell service at home and work.

Anyone have experience in using a signal booster? Ideally I'm looking for something that doesn't need to be connected to the Internet (work firewall would be a problem). Using cable is an option, and I am also curious about the antennae devices available like zboost.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I had this issue. I took it as a sign that it was time to change carriers. If it doesn't work at the two places you spend the most time...

I asked guests and co-workers what carrier and signal strength. The answer presented itself pretty quickly.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I had this issue. I took it as a sign that it was time to change carriers. If it doesn't work at the two places you spend the most time...

I asked guests and co-workers what carrier and signal strength. The answer presented itself pretty quickly.

I've tried three carriers. ATT is the best option in my town. Not great, but it's better than the available options. Nobody gets more than one bar at my work.

Reaction Score
I use this at home. Hooks up to cable works very well. Had it for about 3 yrs now. The first
one I got was a lemon, but they took it back an sent me a new one right away. Makes a world of difference

AT & T Microcell Wireless Cell Signal Booster Tower Antenna

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
This booster stuff is pretty sketchy. There's a reason cell is called cell - the network is a mesh of overlapping radio signals from geographically separated antennas. Any given cell site transceiver will put out a set amount of power, but signal is dependent upon number of users and distance from said antenna. You might get great signal one moment and bad the next depending on the number of users connected to that cell site.

Remember I said overlapping - it could be you are on the edge of that overlap and your handset is passed from one site to the other based on site usage or signal strength then passed back and forth. It's how your cell service keeps you connected even when driving through multiple cell coverage areas.

Chances are you are simply doomed to accept the crappy service. That booster isn't allowed to put out more power than your handset. It might have a slightly better reception pattern, a slightly more sensitive receiver profile, but - and this is the big but, it can't have a greater Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP) than your handset. That means it can't put out a signal than stronger than your signal, not by increasing power nor by changing radiation pattern (beam-forming). WiFi repeaters get around this limitation because the ISM band is unlicensed, and they are allowed to use beam-forming. (Think difference between a the old car antennas the straight up isotropic - omnidirectional, and the old TV antennas Yagis which are directional. You could get a better signal on the TV if the antenna rotates towards the source of the signal.

Cell on the other hand is licensed - you can't put out a stronger signal. Now they might tell you that they have a better transmission profile because the antenna is above the roof line or other such nonsense, but cell service uses the frequencies they use because those signals go the distance and are not easily absorbed by surrounding features (trees, buildings, etc.) Think about it, the one thing that really sucks for signals is a metal box, and cell phones work too darn well in cars as it is. So while the receive side might improve, the other side of the equation - your ability to transmit to the cell tower likely won't improve.

Too Long Didn't Read; Didn't Understand - It is doubtful that you will be able to get better cell service due to numerous technical and legal restrictions on cell signals from your handset. You're just going to have to wait for one of the carriers to decide to build out in the area in which you live.

Reaction Score
I get crappy cell service at home and work.

Anyone have experience in using a signal booster? Ideally I'm looking for something that doesn't need to be connected to the Internet (work firewall would be a problem). Using cable is an option, and I am also curious about the antennae devices available like zboost.

I had horrible service in my house w Verizon. Bought a booster and now the reception is excellent. Definitely a proponent here.

Reaction Score
Gotta agree w ith UConn GB - gotta disagree with Boba.

At my business, there was ZERO signal in the ground floor. Couldn't send a text or make a call, with any carrier, ever. I put in a 200 dollar Chinese booster and now there are 3 bars, and various carriers work well. This one had an omni directional antenna on the roof. Signal on the street outside was 1 to 2 bars. The roof antenna is up about 40 feet off the ground, and no obstructions. The building is thick brick, with neighboring thick brick buildings. Coverage area inside is about 20' by about 60 feet.

At my wife's business, she had 1 bar outside on a good day. Maybe 2, 3G dicey. We put in a 70 dollar Chinese booster and now, in a very small space - maybe 15x15, there is reliably 2 bars and 3G. This has a Yagi directional on the roof, up only about 15-20 feet. Critically, you must install the antenna in the correct plane and then point it at the nearest tower. Also, do not kink the lead or put sharp bend in it (learned this the hard way). Negative Amazon reviews on these things are usually from people who install them incorrectly. They work. Definitely. Get the repeater and antenna a good distance apart, point the antenna (if directional), and you'll get results IF, and ONLY IF, there is a signal outside of the building.

PM me if you want to know the exact models I bought. BTW - installation is simple, but follow the basic rules (separation, no tight bends), and don't expect the very cheap models to give you too much coverage inside.

Reaction Score
Gotta agree w ith UConn GB - gotta disagree with Boba.

At my business, there was ZERO signal in the ground floor. Couldn't send a text or make a call, with any carrier, ever. I put in a 200 dollar Chinese booster and now there are 3 bars, and various carriers work well. This one had an omni directional antenna on the roof. Signal on the street outside was 1 to 2 bars. The roof antenna is up about 40 feet off the ground, and no obstructions. The building is thick brick, with neighboring thick brick buildings. Coverage area inside is about 20' by about 60 feet.

At my wife's business, she had 1 bar outside on a good day. Maybe 2, 3G dicey. We put in a 70 dollar Chinese booster and now, in a very small space - maybe 15x15, there is reliably 2 bars and 3G. This has a Yagi directional on the roof, up only about 15-20 feet. Critically, you must install the antenna in the correct plane and then point it at the nearest tower. Also, do not kink the lead or put sharp bend in it (learned this the hard way). Negative Amazon reviews on these things are usually from people who install them incorrectly. They work. Definitely. Get the repeater and antenna a good distance apart, point the antenna (if directional), and you'll get results IF, and ONLY IF, there is a signal outside of the building.

PM me if you want to know the exact models I bought. BTW - installation is simple, but follow the basic rules (separation, no tight bends), and don't expect the very cheap models to give you too much coverage inside.
I should have qualified....I live in a 3 story house and the booster is on the 3rd floor. That said, there is no external antenna. We got the booster from Verizon.

Reaction Score
att micro cell. you can get it for crap service in your area for a great discount

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've tried three carriers. ATT is the best option in my town. Not great, but it's better than the available options. Nobody gets more than one bar at my work.
Really Tom if you are hitting more than one bar before work, you may have a problem.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Get the new iPhone 6s on t-mobile. It's the first phone and carrier to support enhanced LTE, which should give you better overall service but also better service in buildings.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
temery said:

Now that I think about it, every time I go into one of those post war cinder block bunkers they use as schools, I do lose my signal.

Maybe something to bring to the technology committee.

Reaction Score
I live on a block where nothing comes in consistently except Sprint and I don't like it but it is the only option. AT&T gets 1 bar usually and Verizon doesn't come in at all. If everything came in equally, I'd stick with Verizon.
A booster worked well to solve a cable reception problem with Cox.

Reaction Score
t-mobile has wifi calling and txt. I've used it a few times when no bars and it seemed to work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom