OT - Cell Phone Advice | The Boneyard

OT - Cell Phone Advice

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So the time has finally come to upgrade from my terrible Galaxy S5. Both my wife and I loved our S3 and were seriously disappointed in the S5. Haven't started looking at reviews online yet as we aren't upgrading until Feb but I was really curious what people's thoughts were on some phones currently out there. I keep waffling on getting an iPhone but the lack of a SD card slot kind of puts it as a no. Plus I've always been a Android guy, minus my iPad.

So this brings me to my biggest question.....anyone have or know of someone who has the new Google phone. I'm really intrigued by it but haven't looked closer at it yet. Was looking for personal experiences with it. The wife is likely going S7 and I might as well but was looking for advice. Also, any other brand phones out there folks would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction Score
So the time has finally come to upgrade from my terrible Galaxy S5. Both my wife and I loved our S3 and were seriously disappointed in the S5. Haven't started looking at reviews online yet as we aren't upgrading until Feb but I was really curious what people's thoughts were on some phones currently out there. I keep waffling on getting an iPhone but the lack of a SD card slot kind of puts it as a no. Plus I've always been a Android guy, minus my iPad.

So this brings me to my biggest question.....anyone have or know of someone who has the new Google phone. I'm really intrigued by it but haven't looked closer at it yet. Was looking for personal experiences with it. The wife is likely going S7 and I might as well but was looking for advice. Also, any other brand phones out there folks would recommend?

Thanks in advance!
My wife upgraded to the S6 from the HTC 1 about a year ago. She really likes the phone and hasn't had any issues with it so far. The HTC was really good phone as well.

Reaction Score
I was going to get the pixel but there have been a lot of problems with them. I'd look into it before purchasing

Reaction Score

Thanks in advance!
I went from iPhone 4s to the Galaxy S5 (16GB + 32GB memory card) two years ago. After a year, I hated the S5 for a variety of reasons. The battery drained quickly. The screen would freeze. People couldn't hear me while using the speakerphone. The phone would turn on in my pocket. It was a pain in the a. I waited out my two-year contract (Verizon) and went back to the iPhone 7 (128GB). So far, I love it. The battery is 100x better then the S5. I would listen to Pandora at work on my S5, in two hours the battery was less then 50%. On the iPhone, it's still at 90%. I've had two Samsung phones in my life and hated them both. I should have learned after the issues I had with the first one, but I didn't feel like ponying up $600 for the iPhone 5, at the time. I will never have anything but an iPhone from now on. Apple products are far superior, in my opinion.

Good luck!!!

Reaction Score
Checkout the Droid Maxx or the Droid Turbo 2. They don't have the bells and whistles that the Samsungs or the iPhones have but I've never had a dropped call and my phone goes three days without having to charge it, and when I do charge it, it will charge to 100% in 15 minutes.

Reaction Score
Wait a couple of months. The Galaxy S8 is due out around Easter. In the fall, I went to the local Sprint Store to pay my cell phone bill. I also am overdue for an upgrade (have an S-4). As I was paying my bill, I asked the associate about the S-8 roll out. As he posted my payment another associate looked on the Sprint website for information on the S-8. All he could say was "Wow". He said that Samsung is loading the S-8 with all the bells & whistles (highest resolution camera, lots of storage capacity, etc.) He also said that whenever there's a screwup like the exploding battery fiasco, subsequent models are overcompensated with extras to regain the public's trust.

Reaction Score
Wait a couple of months. The Galaxy S8 is due out around Easter. In the fall, I went to the local Sprint Store to pay my cell phone bill. I also am overdue for an upgrade (have an S-4). As I was paying my bill, I asked the associate about the S-8 roll out. As he posted my payment another associate looked on the Sprint website for information on the S-8. All he could say was "Wow". He said that Samsung is loading the S-8 with all the bells & whistles (highest resolution camera, lots of storage capacity, etc.) He also said that whenever there's a screwup like the exploding battery fiasco, subsequent models are overcompensated with extras to regain the public's trust.

That's interesting info. Thanks.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. My wife and I both discussed doing just this. While we both don't really like our S5, they still work fine and aren't showing signs of being too outdated. The thing we've hated the most on the S5 is the camera. It sucks beyond belief. However, we've dealt with it for 2 years, a few more months won't hurt.

Reaction Score
I have a regular pixel and it's great also got free VR headset. I hate bloatware and want full control of my phone. Previously had Samsung s4. Got mine at launch and have had no issues, free cloud storage, it's fast and has long battery life. No SD card, fast charge but no wireless charge. USB c so toss all your old cords.

Last edited:

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Thanks for this. My wife and I both discussed doing just this. While we both don't really like our S5, they still work fine and aren't showing signs of being too outdated. The thing we've hated the most on the S5 is the camera. It sucks beyond belief. However, we've dealt with it for 2 years, a few more months won't hurt.

My S5 was getting really buggy too, and I was in the same boat. Waffles between the IPhone 7 and Galaxy S7. Reviews unanimously said the Galaxy S7 had a better camera and better battery life so I went with it. Have been very satisfied so far for first month. I don't really use my phone as a high end camera, so I can't really speak to that. It performs very well overall. If I want a camera that bad, I am getting a device designed for that function (GoPro, Nikon, etc)

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
My S5 was getting really buggy too, and I was in the same boat. Waffles between the IPhone 7 and Galaxy S7. Reviews unanimously said the Galaxy S7 had a better camera and better battery life so I went with it. Have been very satisfied so far for first month. I don't really use my phone as a high end camera, so I can't really speak to that. It performs very well overall. If I want a camera that bad, I am getting a device designed for that function (GoPro, Nikon, etc)
I'm in the same boat in terms of a camera however the camera on the S5 would be super blurring if the object or person moved even a tiny bit. There was no way to capture anything in the slightest bit of motion. I also felt it didn't pick up colors very well. I'm not looking for a super high end camera, just one that I can use to capture everyday things. With a 2 and 4 year old, having a camera that can deal with a little movement is a must. They never sit still for a second!

I'm thinking we might wait it out for the S8 but it seems like the S7 would be a good way to go if for some reason the S5 starts to crap the bed before theS8 comes out.

Reaction Score
With the advent of cloud storage services why is storage even a consideration anymore?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
With the advent of cloud storage services why is storage even a consideration anymore?

Unless your data is of such unimportance to you to live with contract changes, discontinuation of storage services altogether, security and privacy, then it wouldn't be.

Reaction Score
Evidently the microprocessor that will power the S-8 has techie types drooling.

Reaction Score

Thanks in advance!

My son (13) has one. Has been iPhone for years. LOVES the Pixel. No problems at all, and he loves it. Says it is the best phone he has ever had, and the battery life is outstanding.

Reaction Score

For people like me that do a lot of traveling, need to be able to download music / video as to not kill data or if you are on a plane and can't stream.

Reaction Score
For people like me that do a lot of traveling, need to be able to download music / video as to not kill data or if you are on a plane and can't stream.
I dunno what you're doing that 256Gb isn't enough lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom