OT:Car service in NYC | The Boneyard

OT:Car service in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can anyone recommend a good and reliable car service to go back and forth between LaGuardia and mid-town Manhattan?

Thanks!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I would go with Uber. I haven't used it in NYC yet but have heard good things. I used in New Orleans a few weeks ago and was very impressed.

Reaction Score
Can anyone recommend a good and reliable car service to go back and forth between LaGuardia and mid-town Manhattan?

Thanks!
As the previous poster stated, Uber is a good way to go, but only if it isnt raining or it isnt a Thursday night, they kill you with congestion pricing at those times. Other than that, a good old yellow cab does the trick pretty nicely. If all else fails, dial 777-7777. I have actually used them, and they are pretty decent. Beware of wait times for any car service if you are planning on using them at night during the holiday season. I have had wait times of 4 hours thrown at me during the holidays, so book in advance if needed.

Reaction Score

Thanks!

Americar is what I use

Reaction Score
I've never used Uber and I don't know that I want to try them for the first time the week before Christmas in NYC

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I would go with Uber. I haven't used it in NYC yet but have heard good things. I used in New Orleans a few weeks ago and was very impressed.

How does Uber get around the local and state licensing issues? Why would anyone get a taxi license if they can just sell their rides on Uber?

Reaction Score
How does Uber get around the local and state licensing issues? Why would anyone get a taxi license if they can just sell their rides on Uber?
An excellent point, which is why anyone who owns a NYC taxi medallion has lost about 30% of the medallion value since Uber showed up. Uber is only licensed in the 5 boroughs too, they cant do rides that originate in Westchester County, for example, but they can give you a ride if it starts in Manhattan and ends in Westchester, but not vice versa. Uber doesnt pretend to be a taxi service, they are a for hire limo service, so they dont face the same regs as a taxi does. Which is the complaint of the taxi companies. I personally love Uber, they fill a need, I have used them overseas and the service is just as good as it is here. The app experience totally rocks.

Reaction Score
I've never used Uber and I don't know that I want to try them for the first time the week before Christmas in NYC

Just curious, what do you think will happen?

It's a fancy cab, that's it. And if the dude doesn't show up in 10 minutes you either take a cab or try another one.

Reaction Score

Thanks!
I used to just catch one of the shuttles from Grand Central. They also have them from Penn Station and other places. Unless of course you are looking for door to door.

Reaction Score
If that is when you are travelling here, and you plan on using a car service, make sure you book in advance. That week will be completely insane trying to get a ride. As some of the other posters mentioned, have alternate strategies. Some of the other limo companies I have used are Planet and Concord, but if you don't have a corporate account with those companies you may be SOL. A single random rider on a personal credit card might be waiting until New Years for a ride. Perhaps the toughest week of the year to try and get a car.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
UberX is cheaper than a taxi.

There's Carmel and Dial-7 ,which you can book online beforehand. Also, there are some outer-borough car services that you can book beforehand, and they will be cheaper. I would say there's a less-than-100% chance that they show up, but I've never had them not show up for an airport ride. I use a Brooklyn car service called Express 11 (718-499-3800). From Brooklyn, it's $30 plus tip to LGA. That's extremely cheap. They pick up and drop off in Manhattan as well.

Reaction Score
An excellent point, which is why anyone who owns a NYC taxi medallion has lost about 30% of the medallion value since Uber showed up. Uber is only licensed in the 5 boroughs too, they cant do rides that originate in Westchester County, for example, but they can give you a ride if it starts in Manhattan and ends in Westchester, but not vice versa. Uber doesnt pretend to be a taxi service, they are a for hire limo service, so they dont face the same regs as a taxi does. Which is the complaint of the taxi companies. I personally love Uber, they fill a need, I have used them overseas and the service is just as good as it is here. The app experience totally rocks.

I've taken an uber from Westchester county to the city. Not sure if they broke a rule, but you can do it (perhaps illegally)

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I use Carmel. They have always shown up on time, and the service has always been good. Phone is 866-666-6666 or 212-666-6666.

Reaction Score
The reviews for these car services are so mixed. I went with Carmel.....fingers crossed. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom