OT: Can't Wait! | The Boneyard

OT: Can't Wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’ve waited almost all my life for someone to do a serious movie take on my boyhood hero. It’s hard to describe how I felt when I saw this YouTube video yesterday. I had seen the teaser trailer…..but this second trailer is breathtaking. I can’t wait for the movie…….June 14th, 2013.

If you decide to click on the link and watch the trailer, please make sure you enlarge it to “Full Screen” and then click on the little gear shape symbol (lower right of the YouTube screen) to choose the highest quality video your computer screen will support…………..you’ll be doing yourself, and the trailer, an injustice if you don’t……………………imagine what this will look like on a movie or Imax screen!

Here’s the LINK. Enjoy!
PS Turn the sound up too!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I was a little nervous with the announcement of Zak Snyder but this trailer looks really cool. I am much more a Superman than Batman guy and I want this movie to be good so desperately.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So how does superman shave? Shard from the spaceship? Did his dad pack some razors? Finger nails?

Looks good. I feel like this mythology has been explored to death though.

Reaction Score
I was a little nervous with the announcement of Zak Snyder but this trailer looks really cool. I am much more a Superman than Batman guy and I want this movie to be good so desperately.

Me too!
The approach to this movie (“Man Of Steel”) is said to be more realistic, more serious, which, I believe, is exactly what the story line needed.

The critics liked the trailer…….I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the “Man Of Steel” is highly successful, which would ensure its continued development in the genre of super hero movies.

Reaction Score
You are saying Christopher Reeves and Dean Cain were not serious? :cool:

I’m sure both actors were very serious about their roles as Superman. Both were major roles at the time; one for the movies, the other for television.

When I say “serious” I’m speaking more about the writers and directors approach to the telling of the story. Let’s take “Superman The Movie” with Christopher Reeve (who was a great Superman) as an example. The first halve of the movie was fine, but when Clark got to Metropolis the writers and director turned him into a bumbling, wimpy adult male reporter. I liked the George Reeves interpretation of Clark Kent in “The Adventures of Superman” much better. Lex Luther (Gene Hackman) Miss Teschmacher (Valerie Perrine) and Otis (Ned Beatty) were a joke. Their acting was fine but their portrayal of what the director wanted, and the writers called for, turned the 2nd halve of the movie into a farce.

“Man Of Steel”, based on what I’ve seen so far, will NOT be a farce. It will be a GOOD vs. an earth conquering / destroying EVIL.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Me too!
The approach to this movie (“Man Of Steel”) is said to be more realistic, more serious, which, I believe, is exactly what the story line needed.

The critics liked the trailer…….I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the “Man Of Steel” is highly successful, which would ensure its continued development in the genre of super hero movies.
More post modern and graphic novel just like the Dark Knight Triology.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
In brightest day,
in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power, Green Lantern's light !

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I’m sure both actors were very serious about their roles as Superman. Both were major roles at the time; one for the movies, the other for television.

When I say “serious” I’m speaking more about the writers and directors approach to the telling of the story. Let’s take “Superman The Movie” with Christopher Reeve (who was a great Superman) as an example. The first halve of the movie was fine, but when Clark got to Metropolis the writers and director turned him into a bumbling, wimpy adult male reporter. I liked the George Reeves interpretation of Clark Kent in “The Adventures of Superman” much better. Lex Luther (Gene Hackman) Miss Teschmacher (Valerie Perrine) and Otis (Ned Beatty) were a joke. Their acting was fine but their portrayal of what the director wanted, and the writers called for, turned the 2nd halve of the movie into a farce.

“Man Of Steel”, based on what I’ve seen so far, will NOT be a farce. It will be a GOOD vs. an earth conquering / destroying EVIL.
umm yea ok. My post wasn't actually serious.

Think maybe I should just let this one lie.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I heard he shaved by reflecting his eye lasers off of a mirror -- that's also how he cuts his hair.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I heard he shaved by reflecting his eye lasers off of a mirror -- that's also how he cuts his hair.
Wonder how he'd match up against Chuck Norris?

Reaction Score
More post modern and graphic novel just like the Dark Knight Triology.

Exactly, Ice. Although I’m hoping it won’t be as “dark” as the Dark Knight Trilogy. Superman is a totally different character than Batman.

I think Superman’s darkness is his continuing struggle (from pre adolescents to adulthood) to accept what, and who, he is (an alien with almost god-like powers) and where he fits in on his new home, Earth.

And when General Zod and Faora come calling, they put Superman’s soul searching to the ultimate test..........As one critic said, it's going to be epic.

Reaction Score
Wonder how he'd match up against Chuck Norris?

LOL!.........................................................this time I know you're kidding........................................right??

Did you watch the trailer......what do you think? Or aren't superhero movies up your alley.

Reaction Score
So how does superman shave? Shard from the spaceship? Did his dad pack some razors? Finger nails?

Looks good. I feel like this mythology has been explored to death though.

Maybe, if we are lucky, we’ll get an answer to that earth shattering question in the new “Man of Steel” movie.

Mythology?........ MYTHOLOGY??....... You mean the origin story of Superman is a myth!!

I guess some people do take certain movies too seriously. I’m guilty of that on occasion. But isn’t that one of the joys of movies, plays, music etc.. To take you away to a magical place, for a couple of hours, where your imagination can soar above the plane of reality and let you become part of what you are viewing or listening to.

I look at the Superman mythology like I do a piece of classical music. There are certain truisms about the piece, but the actual playing of the piece (interpretation) can be accomplished many ways. So it is with the Superman origin story. He comes from a dying Krypton to the plant Earth as an infant. Raised by the Kents, in Kansas, to adulthood, Superman becomes a reporter at the Daily Planet and uses his powers to fight evil, injustice and disasters the world over.

That’s the basic story……how you get to each of those plateaus is open to artistic interpretation, and I believe David Goyer, Christopher Nolan (writers) and Zack Snyder (director) have an interpretation of the origin story that has not been seen before. A more realist, more fearful, more gripping approach. I’m hoping it will be breathtaking in appearance and epic in it’s scope. We’ll see (fingers crossed).

Reaction Score
Although I grew up engrossed with superman, Captain Marvel, & Batman, I'm probably not going to get an invite to join the cast of Big Bang Theory any time soon.

I thought Christopher Reeves was physically, the perfect Superman. He just looked the part in every way.

I do think the movies didn't develop him in a satisfying way. My main complaint is that he was imbued with too many powers. I believe the story would be more effective if his capabilities were more like what he was originally, more human. Jumping instead of flying, impervious to bullets, perhaps like a tank. He should be somewhat limited by the laws of physics. Such limitations make him believable to us mere mortals. Being able to spin earth backwards is not. I'm much more impressed and satisfied with Superman's beating up a gang of bullies than with him conquering a foe who has powers equal to his. Let's face it, we know he's going to win in the end. So let's not pretend there is some villain with abilities that might prevail.

I say it's time for Superman and Lois to tie the knot and have twins (Boy and girl) that can carry on the tradition. The girl will be recruited by Geno and we will surely go undefeated for 4 years!

Reaction Score
I thought Christopher Reeves was physically, the perfect Superman. He just looked the part in every way.

I agree, Christopher Reeve seemed like the perfect Superman. Brandon Routh was pretty good too. Both were tall, which is the physical perception I have of Superman (around 6’4”). My only complaint, so far, of the new Superman, Henry Cavill, is that he’s a little short for the part. I’m hoping his acting ability and the way the movie is shot will help me forget about his lack of height.

I believe the story would be more effective if his capabilities were more like what he was originally, more human. Jumping instead of flying, impervious to bullets, perhaps like a tank. He should be somewhat limited by the laws of physics. Such limitations make him believable to us mere mortals. Being able to spin earth backwards is not. I'm much more impressed and satisfied with Superman's beating up a gang of bullies than with him conquering a foe who has powers equal to his.

The problem with limiting Superman’s abilities is it limits the type of enemies he can defeat and the type of whirlwind created around the fight including the fight itself…....and also it’s importance to the victims involved in it or near it.The tougher the enemy, the more spectacular the fight. A gang of bullies isn’t going to threaten the world with extinction. Several alien spaceships with death rays will……………….Although I see your point….the more powerful, the more unbelievable. I just try and let my imagination run with whatever action is on the screen. I actually thought Superman flying faster than the speed of light to turn back TIME itself was pretty cool.

Let's face it, we know he's going to win in the end. So let's not pretend there is some villain with abilities that might prevail.

You can say the same for all superhero movies, Ironman, Spiderman, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Batman, Green Lantern, etc., etc.. None of those superhero movies could have villains that would prevail because that would kill off the superhero………….and you can’t have that! (though Superman did die in the comic books once).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom