OT: Canelo / GGG

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by Marat, May 9, 2016.

1. Marat

Marat

Impressive KO by Canelo on Saturday night. It's time for him to step up and face Golovkin. Boxing needs this fight to happen.

2. EBonz30

EBonz30

I am sorry, I don't think it would make a difference if the fight happens or not.

Unfortunately, for boxing fans Middle of America doesn't know either of these boxers.

#truestory

3. aceboon

aceboon

I hope Kevin Iole is wrong(doubtful since he is very plugged in), but he reported after after the Canelo/Khan fight that Golden Boy was negotiating with Miguel Cotto for a rematch of Cotto/Canelo. There is no need at all for that fight, GGG is 34 years old and hasn't fought a soul, I think he would beat Canelo pretty easily but I at least want to see him against a live body since he won't go to 168 where the comp is much better than 160.

sammydabiz, uchusky32 and Marat like this.
  4. azescobar

azescobar

Boxing is forever a sham if Canelo won't fight GGG. Is Canelo really going to relinquish his belts because he's scared to get knocked out? Let GGG fight Canelo, before he's required to move up in weight. He's the champ at 160 - the middleweight number..

5. aceboon

aceboon

my issue is the casual boxing "fans" and GGG stans who ask that everyone move up and fight GGG, but its crickets when people pose the same question to him regarding Andre Ward(and others), who has since moved on to 175. That video of GGG being asked about a potential fight with Ward from a couple years ago and GGG just shaking his head no is a youtube classic.

dante likes this.
  6. uconnever

uconnever

I feel the same way. Never saw that video but im definately gonna look for it.

7. huskiesnyc

huskiesnyc

I think the Canelo GGG fight will happen and it would be the biggest fight of the year. I'd also like to see Ward fight Kovalev.

image.png

Doheny, sammydabiz and Marat like this.
  8. aceboon

aceboon

Ward/Kovalev is signed, the hangup right now appears to be on how many tuneup fights Ward is gonna get at 175. He was contractually obligated to 3 fights with HBO, with two warm-up fights at 175 to get used to the weight and then Kovalev for the 3rd fight. Now since he was injured and pulled out of the first fight HBO is now trying to say he used up his 2 warm-up fights, ridiculous. I'm actually looking forward to Kovalev/Ward more than Canelo/GGG.

huskiesnyc likes this.
  9. huskiesnyc

huskiesnyc

I didn't know that Ward/Kovalev was signed but that will be a great fight. The best fight scheduled so far this year is Thurman/Porter. That fight seems like a real toss up. Thurman is undefeated but had easier fights than Porter to date. It's at Barclays in June and I'll be there.

azescobar and aceboon like this.
  10. Marat

Marat

I'm very excited for Ward vs Krusher - the fight should happen by end of 2016. However a GGG vs Canelo would generate higher PPV#s I believe.

Yeah, the Thurman/Porter clash should great - it was originally scheduled to be in Mohegan Sun before being postponed.

huskiesnyc likes this.
  11. aceboon

aceboon

yea I'm in there as well, Section 4, I got Thurman in that one.

12. huskiesnyc

huskiesnyc

I'm slightly leaning Thurman as well that's who I'm rooting for anyway. One of my UConn friends works for Complex Sports and is getting tickets. Not sure where but I'm sure they'll be pretty good.

13. FLhusky91

FLhusky91

It has been said that if they can't come up with a deal, that Danny Jacobs will be the one to fight GGG next. I'm a big Danny Jacobs fan so I would love that and I'm pretty sure the fight will be an exciting one. It amazing how far he has come from his last loss to then dealing with cancer nearly passing away from it. Great story and would be something if he was to take out GGG.

14. puppygenius

puppygenius

I want GGG/Ward to happen in the worst way.More than a few "experts" believe GGG is ducking that fight. GGG and El Chocolatito are both very entertaining boxers.

15. MilliniumPrince

MilliniumPrince Jonathan 3:16 means we just beat your ass!

Oscar won't even let Canelo attend a GGG fight (joke). He damn sure isn't going to let him get into the ring with him any time soon. They will wait until GGG is over 40 years old and slower. Knocking out Khan was not impressive at all. He was three classes smaller and known to have a suspect chin. Canelo is talented, but this fight was a joke from start to finish.

I hope he at least fights Lemieux next, or some legit Middleweight contender.

16. aceboon

aceboon

Can't happen now with Ward moving on to 175, and yea, Ward and his camp offered GGG the fight years ago but Abel Sanchez didn't want it. They said they would only move up to fight Carl Froch in England, who was already retired at that point, LOL.

puppygenius likes this.
  17. methodology

methodology

You are wrong. I've been following GGG from his amateur days. Everyone in America has avoided him and it's because they are scared. GGG has said he will go up 1 class or down 1 class to fight anyone. No one will step up.

Ward had said if none of the middleweight step up he would fight GGG because it's a shame everyone is ducking him. GGG has never said he wouldn't fight ward you are grasping at straws. His English isn't great and he was said on multiple occasions he would fight ward.

I posted about 3 years ago the greatness of GGG, you can check my history, and many doubted what I was saying

ibleedhuskyblue likes this.
  18. aceboon

aceboon

Abel Sanchez is GGG's mouthpiece, he didn't want the Ward fight. I know you're a GGG stan from way back, no need to remind me.

19. methodology

methodology

All the middleweights are petrified of GGG. He has the power of a super middle/light heavy to go along with unbelievable footwork and ring awareness

azescobar and MilliniumPrince like this.
  20. methodology

methodology

And you are misinformed. GGG camp wanted a catch weight instead of going up to 175 and ward camp wouldn't do it

21. aceboon

aceboon

This was back when Ward was still fighting at 168, the idea of a fight with GGG was deaded when Ward decided to make the jump to 175, you are the misinformed one my friend. GGG didn't start that 164 catch weight nonsense until Ward had already moved on and fought at 172 while in transition to 175, GGG's camp knew damn well he wouldn't be able come down to 164 or that he would make that kind of concession to GGG when Ward is the more accomplished fighter. And lol at GGG stans not seeing the double standard with him asking for a catchweight.

22. methodology

methodology

So you want GGG to go up 2 weight classes and have Ward fight at his normal weight? Talk about LOL.

Do you understand what a catch weight is or know why they exist? So boxers who are larger/smaller can fight on an equal field. Did you learn nothing from the Andre Ward/Dawson fight. That ruined Dawson career because he dropped to much weight to appease to Wards demands. Ward was the better fighter and had weight drop created an extreme advantage for Ward.

By the way I had to call my buddy who worked at espn and is good buddy with Max Kellerman from back in the day. This is what he said went down.

GGG never said no to Ward. Ward hadn't fought in 2 years and was in a contract dispute with HBO. Because of those disputes the GGG/ward prospects of a fight broke down. Ward came back after his shoulder injury and moved up to 175. GGG won't go up 2 weight classes and wanted to do the fight at 168 (ward original class) and 1 class above GGG regular weight. Neither Ward or GGG ducked each other it was HBO that shelved the fight do to the contract dispute ward and they were in

Ward is going to fight Kovalev this year for Kovalev's belt. GGG used to spar with Kovalev and other cruiserweight and Kovalev said he has never seen GGG get stunned

23. aceboon

aceboon

THE FIGHT WAS OFFERED BY WARD TO GGG AT 168! How is that 2 weight classes above when GGG fights at 160? If GGG didn't want to move up then fine, but don't trot out this propaganda that he was willing to fight anyone at 168 when he was only willing to do it with Froch and JCC, not the best fighter at 168 in Ward. Ward was never in a contract dispute with HBO, it was with his former promoter, Dan Goosen. I'm going to dead this back and forth now cuz you're misinformed and trotting out a bunch of incorrect statements.

24. methodology

methodology

Ward never offered it at 168. FACT

25. methodology

methodology

Sorry I misunderstood my buddy about the hbo/Dan goosen issue. Hbo wouldn't touch any ward fights until that was settled. Thus no GGG/ward. Hbo wouldn't touch it and ward came back at 175, 2 weight classes above GGG.