OT: Can South Carolina Transfers Lead Them to the WCBB Championship? | The Boneyard

OT: Can South Carolina Transfers Lead Them to the WCBB Championship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'll let you know after the Louisville game.
Not really loving SC at the moment - it is early days, and the transfers are certainly handling the missing offense that Mitchell provided, but not sure Cuevas is stepping up and the balance looks a little off. Lots of time to get everything sorted and for folks to mesh on the court. On paper they are very formidable. Shooting at .448/.313/.711 is something to watch for - as comparison Uconn is at .481/.464/.815 and ND is at .445/.407/.697 and Baylor is at ..472/.386/.663 - ND and SC are shooting about 16 threes, Baylor 17 and Uconn 19 per game to this point.

Reaction Score
This year, anything can happen.................

.................and probably will.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Not really loving SC at the moment - it is early days, and the transfers are certainly handling the missing offense that Mitchell provided, but not sure Cuevas is stepping up and the balance looks a little off. Lots of time to get everything sorted and for folks to mesh on the court. On paper they are very formidable. Shooting at .448/.313/.711 is something to watch for - as comparison Uconn is at .481/.464/.815 and ND is at .445/.407/.697 and Baylor is at ..472/.386/.663 - ND and SC are shooting about 16 threes, Baylor 17 and Uconn 19 per game to this point.

Bianca only has 2 turnovers in 3 games and hasn't played a lot of minutes as Dawn has been trying to get Tyasha Harris and Araion Bradshaw some experience. Like I said, after the Louisville game I'll know more.

Reaction Score
Bianca only has 2 turnovers in 3 games and hasn't played a lot of minutes as Dawn has been trying to get Tyasha Harris and Araion Bradshaw some experience. Like I said, after the Louisville game I'll know more.

Truth is, Harris will end up being a better player than Cuevas. Cuevas is the weak link, just isn't quite clear how weak a link it is and whether Harris will beat her out this year.

Reaction Score
For the team in general, I would say that they are still figuring out what they are going to be.

I don't think they have particularly good flow at the moment, but that should improve over time. I think Gray and Coates are winning players in that they don't really need to dominate the ball to contribute.

I think maybe staggering Wilson's minutes with Davis's minutes when possible might be something to look at.

Reaction Score
i consider SC to be the most well balanced team in WCBB. their post play is brutal. now they have 2 guards that can spread the defense and allow wilson to be even better. they are my favorite to win it all. that pains me to say, trust me.

however, the two biggest questions i have about this team are:
1. can their point guard keep up and keep the team in control?
2. will the addition of davis and gray, especially davis, change the team chemistry? wilson is the star of the team BUT davis is not going to sit back and play team ball all the time. i just wonder how that will pan out over the course of the season.

Reaction Score
For the team in general, I would say that they are still figuring out what they are going to be.

I don't think they have particularly good flow at the moment, but that should improve over time. I think Gray and Coates are winning players in that they don't really need to dominate the ball to contribute.

I think maybe staggering Wilson's minutes with Davis's minutes when possible might be something to look at.

yes!

Reaction Score
It's very possible that these two talents can lead SC to the championship. They give the Gamecocks some scoring punch on the wings and perimeter that they have been lacking for a few years and that can open up the post for Coates and Wilson. The offense may not be fluid now but it takes time when you have new transfers/players join the team....But watch out.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Yeah - your saying basically what I was trying to say with my earlier post - it is early in the season for all these teams, and we don't have much competitive film to watch yet, and the teams haven't established their identity either.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
i consider SC to be the most well balanced team in WCBB. their post play is brutal. now they have 2 guards that can spread the defense and allow wilson to be even better. they are my favorite to win it all. that pains me to say, trust me.

however, the two biggest questions i have about this team are:
1. can their point guard keep up and keep the team in control?
2. will the addition of davis and gray, especially davis, change the team chemistry? wilson is the star of the team BUT davis is not going to sit back and play team ball all the time. i just wonder how that will pan out over the course of the season.

From my near-court perch the chemistry seems fine; I think Alaina is growing into the team leader as the only senior this season. Hopefully A'ja and Kaela will use that drive to push each other to another level. I wouldn't be shocked if Kaela turned pro after this season, but I am almost certain that A'ja won't.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Wait did I stumble into an SEC board? I'm confused. Don't that is normal.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
From my near-court perch the chemistry seems fine; I think Alaina is growing into the team leader as the only senior this season. Hopefully A'ja and Kaela will use that drive to push each other to another level. I wouldn't be shocked if Kaela turned pro after this season, but I am almost certain that A'ja won't.

I've seen Alaina taking the younger players under her wing a lot so far this season.. its so nice to see and such a contrast from her intimidating on court demeanor. I've been pretty impressed with Kaela (and Allisha) thus far.. she seems to be developing an understanding of when to create her shot and when to get it to the post.. Cuevas has been impressive as well.. she's not being asked to do too much, but she's shown that she's capable of doing what's needed (getting the ball to where it needs to go, knocking down jumpers when she needs to, being a good defender). Judging by what I've seen so far... we're not going to live and die by Cuevas. Sure, she's the point guard.. but we have two wings in Davis and Gray that know the offense surprisingly well and are both pretty darn good at distributing the ball.

The offense can score.. but we still need more time to develop a fluid flow. This team has a ways to go, especially defensively.. but I've seen enough to think that this could be the best team in the country by the time of the NCAA tournament. I like that Coates and Wilson are passing from the paint more... we'll need that versus teams that pack it in.

I think Kaela enters the draft next year after what could possibly be a NPOY type year for her.. A'ja won't be 22 in time for next year's draft so she's ineligible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would love to see South Carolina against Baylor...............that would be a really physical contest

Reaction Score

They just don't get it.
chimpanzee.jpg

Reaction Score
No. Because Geno will probably win another 4 straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom