OT: Calipari Disputes Duke's Recruiting Strategy | The Boneyard

OT: Calipari Disputes Duke's Recruiting Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
a pox on both houses. It's sad that Duke has decided to follow KY down the path of one-and-done, but I guess they had to do it to keep Coach K. happy. Getting into a pissing match with the likes of Calipari can never redound to one's credit.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Quite honestly, Calipari sounds like an idiot if he doesn't understand Duke's point that a Duke education is a valuable tool that endures throughout life. Kentucky one and done approaches to education has some but negligible value compared to completing a full degree at Duke. Caliper as one expects from him manipulates the statements of a kid he is recruiting. I don't expect that will help him in the long run.

Reaction Score
Quite honestly, Calipari sounds like an idiot if he doesn't understand Duke's point that a Duke education is a valuable tool that endures throughout life.
But his (alas, correct) point is that with the most highly recruited athletes, the ones KY and Duke compete for, it's one-and-done, and therefore no education at all (they don't even have to finish the 2nd semester).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's the athlete's choice Duke still recruits kids for the long haul and has many more stay course. Specifically, I believe Caliper distorts what Duke tells students to his advantage (as would be expected and normal). Duke's pitch is more akin to if you come here you have a great network professionally and a Duke education can open doors. It is the same thing the Ivies, Stanford and ND offer their kids.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's the athlete's choice Duke still recruits kids for the long haul and has many more stay course.
Right, no argument. But I think what Calipari is referring to specifically is the classic one-and-done (virtually all his best players; only some of Duke's). After all, his pitch is NBA readiness after one year of college ball. He's saying that Duke's pitch to that particular type of athlete is old-fashioned and empty.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Right, no argument. But I think what Calipari is referring to specifically is the classic one-and-done (virtually all his best players; only some of Duke's). After all, his pitch is NBA readiness after one year of college ball. He's saying that Duke's pitch to that particular type of athlete is old-fashioned and empty.

I don't think it is empty at all. For kids with the intellect to compete on and off the court it is saying we prepare the whole person. If Caliper wants to sell the one and donors that his view is better fine but Duke offers different options and ones that can take you much farther in life just like the UCONN women's program which addresses the whole person.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
After all, his pitch is NBA readiness after one year of college ball.

Of course, it's a fraud. The "readiness" part of it. "You start the pay days after 1 year" is more like it. "You're much more likely to end up a bench player after you leave my program at the end of the year, than if you stayed in college and really learned/were taught the game." Is also truer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom