OT-Calhoun to coach again? | The Boneyard

OT-Calhoun to coach again?

Reaction Score
Maybe he would be able to recruit somebody other than a 2 star nobody!

Reaction Score
I'm no Calhoun fan. I always admired his coaching, but thought of him as kind of a jerk. Still.....
...The last thing a 75-year-old man with a history of major illnesses needs is the pressure of a large, loud and largely disappointed fan base egging him on. The St. Joseph's gig would be a great way to finish up his career, especially if he can build a respectable program in the first 2-3 years. The old trouper, coming out of retirement......they make movies out of stuff like this.

Reaction Score
I'm no Calhoun fan. I always admired his coaching, but thought of him as kind of a jerk. Still.....
...The last thing a 75-year-old man with a history of major illnesses needs is the pressure of a large, loud and largely disappointed fan base egging him on. The St. Joseph's gig would be a great way to finish up his career, especially if he can build a respectable program in the first 2-3 years. The old trouper, coming out of retirement.they make movies out of stuff like this.
...The last thing a 75-year-old man with a history of major illnesses needs is the pressure of a large, loud and largely disappointed fan base egging him on. The St. Joseph's gig would be a great way to finish up his career, especially if he can build a respectable program in the first 2-3 years. The old trouper, coming out of retirement.they make movies out of stuff like this.

In the days when work horse (the real ones) were omni present--retired work horses --when let out of the field or pen would head for the wagon to pull it---75 year old Irish work horse---one last hurrah --I am not a Calhoun fan, I'd be interested in seeing how his verbal abuse style will work on the new class of St. Joe's players--and admin.
Geno in a CPTV interview with Megan Pattyson said: Coaches have little do with the winning, the losses are often the result of Coaching--and went on to name 2 games-- his coaching lost--Which ones will Calhoun confess he lost.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I always thought that JC was a 'coaching lifer'...beyond a reasonable doubt. This news takes the level to 'beyond any doubt'.
I love the fact that he is asking his wife's 'permission'.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I always thought that JC was a 'coaching lifer'...beyond a reasonable doubt. This news takes the level to 'beyond any doubt'.
I love the fact that he is asking his wife's 'permission'.

Pat may welcome the opportunity to get him out of their house more often.

Reaction Score
I'm shocked he would come back for that.
He is retired on a nice income, he is a multi-millionaire--so he is not in this for the money--it's for the feeling of being useful and doing what he loved. Money, fame are no longer a pursuit when you have more money and fame than you need--it is about how you feel.
Retirement doesn't mean lying down and dying--or resting on your past--life goes on and if you want it you make the last of life --as much or more fun than the first of life.
If you are not up and moving --you become the "Tin man" of ozz --you rust out.
Any smart man always ask his spouse how the spouse will feel about anything that effect them both--that is just good human relations--and he is not asking permission--he is asking for concurrence.

Reaction Score
He is retired on a nice income, he is a multi-millionaire--so he is not in this for the money--it's for the feeling of being useful and doing what he loved. Money, fame are no longer a pursuit when you have more money and fame than you need--it is about how you feel.
Retirement doesn't mean lying down and dying--or resting on your past--life goes on and if you want it you make the last of life --as much or more fun than the first of life.
If you are not up and moving --you become the "Tin man" of ozz --you rust out.
Any smart man always ask his spouse how the spouse will feel about anything that effect them both--that is just good human relations--and he is not asking permission--he is asking for concurrence.

Yes but is taking on a low level project the way to go at his age?

He should have really made a big splash and straightened out Georgetown! Now that would have been comeback worthy!!!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
If she does not 'concur', does he take the job anyway? I am guessing that even if she truly wanted him to say 'no', that would not get out publicly.

Prediction: game one in November of 2018...there will be so many media requests that there will be a hard time finding seats for the student body.

Reaction Score
Yes but is taking on a low level project the way to go at his age?

He should have really made a big splash and straightened out Georgetown! Now that would have been comeback worthy!!!

That is precisely what he wants and needs---just below the radar--if it goes badly, no problem . I it goes fantastic--he'll hit the national news. He does not need to go to GT and be compared, probably unfavorably, to the great coaches that had great GT teams---GT is a no win situation--it's expected to be a top team. St Joe, not so much.

He can coast and have fun. When it's not fun--he'll head to Hilton Head and bask in the sun on the surf.
In retirement you don't need anything but FUN and health. If he blows a gasket at the kids--strokes are not far behind.

Reaction Score
If she does not 'concur', does he take the job anyway? I am guessing that even if she truly wanted him to say 'no', that would not get out publicly.

Prediction: game one in November of 2018...there will be so many media requests that there will be a hard time finding seats for the student body.
I d

That depends on how the relationship went these past 50 years--that exchange is nearly per-ordained in that length of time.
I would most likely do as my wife requested, she has hardly ever been wrong, but if it were something I needed and wanted to do--I'd keep up the discussion. Then say let's go, I'm doing it.
And she never ever turned me down. Sometimes you must allow your spouses heart feel your heart and it works---when either is unhappy, neither is happy after 50 years --you truly become ONE.
If that isn't so---then you've wasted 50 years living with a stranger.

Prediction:
I would bet that end of Nov and early Dec---they shall be walking on each other just to see Geno's circus !! Holy-moly--is there a team with as much top to NEAR bottom with so much talent and potential?? Z, Precious, KLS, Gabby, Kia, Danger, Walker, Gordon, AEH, Touly---and if the Frosh and sophs start rising--Wow-D- wow-w0w~!!!

Reaction Score
That is precisely what he wants and needs---just below the radar--if it goes badly, no problem . I it goes fantastic--he'll hit the national news. He does not need to go to GT and be compared, probably unfavorably, to the great coaches that had great GT teams---GT is a no win situation--it's expected to be a top team. St Joe, not so much.

He can coast and have fun. When it's not fun--he'll head to Hilton Head and bask in the sun on the surf.
In retirement you don't need anything but FUN and health. If he blows a gasket at the kids--strokes are not far behind.

I understand your points. One thing to disagree, there are no expectations in hoya land. There was a mass exodus of players either transfer or NBA with a new first time coach in PE.

I wish Calhoun the best even though I'm not a fan

Reaction Score
I understand your points. One thing to disagree, there are no expectations in hoya land. There was a mass exodus of players either transfer or NBA with a new first time coach in PE.

I wish Calhoun the best even though I'm not a fan
I was a Jim fan for a long time--when he started cursing his players as the came to the bench--that ended me-I know they have heard all the bad words--but ON THE COURT? These were kids not professionals--
However --he's entitled to use his retirement as he chooses.
AS for GT---I was speaking of the hey-day of John the father --I doubt Jim could replicate that--

Reaction Score
If Calhoun does go to SJ, then you might see both Howie Dickerman and Ray Allen sitting on the bench with him as assistants.

Reaction Score
If Calhoun does go to SJ, then you might see both Howie Dickerman and Ray Allen sitting on the bench with him as assistants.
I don't know if that's a possibility--but it would be a show worth the price of admission.
With talent =just think what this 3 could do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom