OT: cable options | The Boneyard

OT: cable options

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I live in Southbury and there's ONLY charter cable as an option. I don't want to go to Dish/DirecTv. What's the best way to be able to watch all NFL games (NFL channel/RedZone/Sunday Ticket) and other sports channels for when UConn is not on basic calble other than going to a bar?

I have an xbox and would be in favor of subscribing to something online, but Sunday Ticket 'is not supported in my area'. Any ideas?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You're likely screwed in Southbury. OTA isn't a good option, unless you hit the topography lottery, or you have an old mast installation, etc.

PM me - I live in Monroe, with the same issue. Might be able to help...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I live in Southbury and there's ONLY charter cable as an option. I don't want to go to Dish/DirecTv. What's the best way to be able to watch all NFL games (NFL channel/RedZone/Sunday Ticket) and other sports channels for when UConn is not on basic calble other than going to a bar?

I have an xbox and would be in favor of subscribing to something online, but Sunday Ticket 'is not supported in my area'. Any ideas?
Very difficult to get live sports unless you are willing to go more nefarious routes. The downside is that most of those broadcasts are in standard definition and are increasingly being monitored by ISPs.

Being a sports junkie is the only thing preventing me from cutting the cord. There is a group of my friends who share Netflix and Hulu passwords, but most content originators and cable systems know that if they make live sports available, they remove the barrel over which the sports junkie gets thrown for our $2,400+/year spanking.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
Very difficult to get live sports unless you are willing to go more nefarious routes. The downside is that most of those broadcasts are in standard definition and are increasingly being monitored by ISPs.

Being a sports junkie is the only thing preventing me from cutting the cord.

I'm in the same boat. I have amazon prime and netflix. I can get Game of Thrones online. Just need my sports!

Any other opinions welcome. Thanks all

Reaction Score
You can get most games at http://firstrowsportes.eu/, you could stream it to your tv using Apple TV. You would need to invest in a good pop up blocker and a very good virus protection package. Sometimes there is questionable quality and lag.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
For NFL you can find a friend with NYC address? You can buy Sunday Ticket on-line if you have a NYC Credit Card address (or Ess , or other metropolitan apartment address). If they buy it for you, you can stream it.
Couple things, the app suck on IPad or did last season for me. The desktop worked for most of the time. The nationally televised games - SNF & MNF - are blacked out on Sunday Ticket. SNF is available to the desktop, not to the mobile / IPad without a cable customer ID. MNF requires cable customer ID over.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
For NFL you can find a friend with NYC address? You can buy Sunday Ticket on-line if you have a NYC Credit Card address (or Ess , or other metropolitan apartment address). If they buy it for you, you can stream it.
Couple things, the app suck on IPad or did last season for me. The desktop worked for most of the time. The nationally televised games - SNF & MNF - are blacked out on Sunday Ticket. SNF is available to the desktop, not to the mobile / IPad without a cable customer ID. MNF requires cable customer ID over.

How sure are you on this? I wouldn't want ot have a friend go through the hassle and potentially pay to not have it work.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
bump anyone have other suggestions?

Reaction Score
I would suggest DirecTV. There are other options if you don't want to bolt a satellite to your house. You can have them send someone out for a consultation.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
How sure are you on this? I wouldn't want ot have a friend go through the hassle and potentially pay to not have it work.
As far as I know it should work. Last year, Direct TV just looked at the billing address of my credit card; saw that it was a NYC Apartment; and then said: "sure we will take your $200." They gave me a ID and password to Sunday Ticket on-line. I intend on doing it again this season.

They don't ask who the data / internet provider. The key is the billing address is a multi-dwelling building (namely an apartment building where you cannot install Direct TV) and that it is in one of the designated urban centers. Linky.

Your options are a bit slim, the $200 only buys the games at the time and day they are played, no replay or bonuses. But you can watch your favorite team on the IPad and watch it freeze up every 10 minutes. (Desktop seemed to word OK) They charge more for other features.

Reaction Score
I understand your reluctance for Direct. I do have direct its costly but I never have to worry about getting any and all the sports I can handle. b

Reaction Score

Being a sports junkie is the only thing preventing me from cutting the cord. There is a group of my friends who share Netflix and Hulu passwords, but most content originators and cable systems know that if they make live sports available, they remove the barrel over which the sports junkie gets thrown for our $2,400+/year spanking.

I can't see how these companies can continue to allow sharing. I have to believe it's only a matter of time before they restrict by IP address. Too much revenue on the table.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I can't see how these companies can continue to allow sharing. I have to believe it's only a matter of time before they restrict by IP address. Too much revenue on the table.
They are overseas in friendly jurisdictions that allow file-sharing. Technically, it is not yet against U.S. law to access the files, but you'll get a strongly worded letter if you download them to your computer and become a "seeder" yourself. Homeland Security has seized a few of the domains (TSA and sports streaming, our tax dollars at work), but they pop up elsewhere with different extensions.

Last edited:

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
And I bought it again last night, they upgraded me for free. (Oh boy but not that great a deal for me, don't own Xbox, or PS) Still all they care about is that credit card billing address. $200 basic plan, $250 for one that allows XBox / PS / Roku to connect to TV, $300 plan for Red Zone and other amenities.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
And I bought it again last night, they upgraded me for free. (Oh boy but not that great a deal for me, don't own Xbox, or PS) Still all they care about is that credit card billing address. $200 basic plan, $250 for one that allows XBox / PS / Roku to connect to TV, $300 plan for Red Zone and other amenities.

Have another credit card with NY address to register for my use? I'll send you the $ and then you can change the password of the account for me to log in? DM me plz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom