OT - Buying tires online. - any experiences?

Need new tires, but I have transportation so I don't need them right away. Anyone here ever bought tires online. From what I've read up on so far, they ship them to a nearby garage & you bring in & they install.

Is it worthwhile? Feel like the tire shops overcharge.

Fishy

Puncher of Throats
I used to use Tire Rack and they were fine - I still recommend them for snow tires where they ship you a set of tires mounted to steel wheels.

But honestly, the cheapest way to get new tires is going to BJ's.

Need new tires, but I have transportation so I don't need them right away. Anyone here ever bought tires online. From what I've read up on so far, they ship them to a nearby garage & you bring in & they install.

Tire

Tirebuyer. Com. You can get local dealers to match their prices plus no tax or shipping

CTMike

Analysis: Partly True
I'm a big fan of tirerack.com - really useful research and data on all sorts of tires, and prices are generally good.

In the past, I think their prices were tougher for local shops to beat. But lately I've been able to get the same price from local shops too. Use it as a starting point to see if your local place can match the price. If not- head on up to the Tire Rack warehouse near Bradley and pick them up there - saves you the cost of shipping.

I called a dealer service department last time and they were close to Tire Rack prices including installation. Some of them are hungry for the business and are competing now. Never hurts to check.

John

Mr. Meme
Tirerack.com customer for years, but I'll echo what others are saying here: local shops/dealers are getting more and more aggressive at matching or beating online prices.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong

I did it a couple times. If you dont get them shipped to an installer, it is more hassle than its worth IMO. You'll pay for mounting, balancing, and disposal since you didn't buy in the shop, which mitigates any savings. Plus, buying locally helps that store employ a couple pimple faced youths.

I buy wheel/tire packages from Tire Rack but if I'm just getting new tires I'll go to Costco if they have what I'm looking for, independent shops otherwise.

Doesn't the garage that mounts the tires just charge more for the service?
Yeah - that's what I'm wondering - is it alot of trouble & is it worth it. Did BJs for both my & my wife. Pretty happy with my tires, but my wife's make alot if noise.

Been to Town Fair & I felt like they were up selling me to death. Also I like researching & knowing what I want instead of taking what's in stock.

John

Mr. Meme
Yeah - that's what I'm wondering - is it alot of trouble & is it worth it. Did BJs for both my & my wife. Pretty happy with my tires, but my wife's make alot if noise.

Been to Town Fair & I felt like they were up selling me to death. Also I like researching & knowing what I want instead of taking what's in stock.
you might want to try the vehicle brand's dealer - I had priced out new tires on Tirerack for the wife's Subaru (along with factoring in mounting/balancing/etc services), and the local Subaru dealer gave virtually the exact same deal for the entire thing.

HuskyHawk

Hoping to see something that looks like basketball
you might want to try the vehicle brand's dealer - I had priced out new tires on Tirerack for the wife's Subaru (along with factoring in mounting/balancing/etc services), and the local Subaru dealer gave virtually the exact same deal for the entire thing.
The answer really is to research on Tire Rack, narrow it down to one or two, then call for prices at several places, including local independent shops. Each shop works with different distributors, so some will be better on some brands, others better on other brands. If you are going with OEM tires, sometimes the dealer has good prices on those. But dealers won't often stock other choices. BJs is fine, but the service is slow and the selection is small. If they have what you want, it works. I like using my local independent shop because they treat us well if we ever have any issues.

I haven't ordered from Tire Rack, because the Tire Rack certified service centers (though won't gouge you) aren't convenient for me.

I have Tire Rack ship to my garage which mounts / balances them. I've been using high end Conti / Michln /and sometimes Pirelli in that order of pref. Many other brands loose tread fast so $ may not be competitive compare to $/mile. Like to feel secure bombing down the I-way. I also have racing shocks / strut tower braces / sway bars on the cars for extra stability.

Don't places like Town Fair Tire and Sullivan Tire just match any online price? That's what I did last time I needed 4 tires. Just easier having it done there.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

Forgot to answer a question
I've always used town fair tire. I do t really have much to compare them too but they have really good warrantys and free alignments etc. I'm not sure what online retailers offer as far as that goes.

UCDaveD

Michael!
Local dealer price matched the online price I found. I called ahead to make sure that was their practice and the guy told me "Anywhere, but TireRack"

I made a deal with a car dealer to buy the tires from my new car from me at his cost and buy new tires and wheels for me at his cost from tire track. Left me thinking they are wholesale and retail at the rack and the generally cheapest.

I have 7 vehicles and I used to buy at tire rack, but they are so overpriced compared to a majority of other online tire retailers.

Discount Tire Direct is a good on I'm actually about to drop close to a grand on a set from them and tire rack was much more money. Plus most of the stuff I buy from DTD is free shipping.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Tire City on Silver Lane in East Hartford
Been going there for years and they always have the best prices and don't try to upsell at all
Just a great place to do business

I used to use Tire Rack and they were fine - I still recommend them for snow tires where they ship you a set of tires mounted to steel wheels.

But honestly, the cheapest way to get new tires is going to BJ's.
They are really trying to avoid selling cheap steel rims. All good things come to an end.

Doesn't the garage that mounts the tires just charge more for the service?
That's exactly how most I've seen are reacting to the competition. If the OP is close enough to their warehouse, it probably makes sense. Other than that, unless you're buying speciality tires like racing tires, you'd likely get a better price going to a local shop that will give you a deal on install to even out or beat the pricing vs tire rack.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
All I know is your name is Taco, so when I read your thread quick I thought it said "where to buy Tacos online" and I just decided to delete my account.