OT: Buying eyeglasses online | The Boneyard

OT: Buying eyeglasses online

Reaction Score
Has anyone bought eyeglasses online? What was it like in terms of quality, selection and price? Hubby has a prescription for progressive lenses, and he's always gone to a local shop where they can take the measurements in person, and if necessary make adjustments after delivery. But the price...

Any other suggestions for saving some $$ on glasses?

Reaction Score
Has anyone bought eyeglasses online? What was it like in terms of quality, selection and price? Hubby has a prescription for progressive lenses, and he's always gone to a local shop where they can take the measurements in person, and if necessary make adjustments after delivery. But the price...

I was a Zenni (on-line) customer for severals and very pleased. I have standard bifocals and would go for fairly inexpensive frames - generally about $10-$20 for frames & $50-$60 for the lenses. No complaints - but no progressive experience. My latest prescription called for a type of lens they didn't offer, so after a lot of research I tried Costco. Their pricing was less than half of what the "local shop" wanted - about $200 versus over $400. The lenses themselves were $129, but I needed new frames. I'd advise trying Costco if you like local service and have serviceable frames for them to use.

Reaction Score

I have tried warby Parker and was successful online for progressives, but even they are leary of getting that perfect. My last pair I visited their shop in Grand Central (at the bottom of the ramp from the 42nd st entry) and they measured my eyes to get the progressiveness correct. They will take them back for 45 days.

I have also tried "eye buy direct". They are very inexpensive but couldn't get progressives to work. But I was able get get single vision sunglasses, all I really need, because the speedometer is big enough for me to see on my car. Also I got a pair of distance glasses to watch tv with, so that when my head lolls back onto the couch I am still able to see!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've thought about this with progressive lens and astigmatism I've wondered about having everything line up. I will say I've bought frames online and popped in my existing lenses and that was fine.

Reaction Score
I bought my eye glasses from Goggles4u last year. I am very pleased. They have one pair glasses for $9.95 (frame extra) for the first order, and also have buy one get one free promotion. In general there glass prices are low but do not have high end frames.

Reaction Score
I've bought a number of glasses (progressives) on-line and was generally pleased. But this year, I decided to buy glasses from the same folks I got my eye exam from, and paid a lot more. But I realized I got a lot, lot more. Easily the best pair of glasses I've ever had. Part of the reason is professional measurement: the distance between pupils and the distance between eyes and lenses. Don't think I'll ever go back to on-line glasses, even if I could get an optometrist/opthamologist to give me those measurements, because it may be that the firm that measures, also takes greater care in production.

YMMV, of course, and my prescription is pretty stable, so it's not like I need glasses every couple of years and therefore the cost seems worth it.

Reaction Score
I use progressive lenses also. My opto didn't mind giving the prescription. I have used two different online companies with good success. $350 glasses for around $125. I don't buy expensive frames.

Reaction Score

Have done this multiple ways. Have inexpensive glasses in most rooms of house so I don't have to remember to bring them with me. Also found a pair of high end frames on discount and had one of the on line firms add my prescription. Basically got $250 glasses for about $150. Had them about a year and still doing well with both.

Reaction Score
We've purchased glasses from Zenni several times and were pleased with what we got. We have not done complex prescriptions.

Reaction Score
I always buy from Costco.
Lenses are even cheaper in Mexican Costcos. I tried once and decided against buying it again.
Frames are cheaper in US Costcos.
If you have 2 weeks to spend in San Diego/ El Paso, consider buying a frame in a US Costco and lenses in a
Mexican Costco. The eye exam in Mexico is free. Unfortunately it is not good.
If you are in Mexico, try out opthalmologists. You can get an appointment within
3 days. Many have US degrees and have actually worked here. Their prescriptions are accepted by Costcos in San Diego County.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fairly simple Rx - Have purchased from Goggles4U and Zenni - Quite happy w/ both.
A few months ago I decided to get polorized sunglasses - Best my Eye Doc's eyeglass place could / would do was ca $350. Zenni (w/ pretty sylish frame) was about $85.00 EZ decision.
Month later, my wife got the same cool look.

Reaction Score

Progressive lenses require taking a measurement from the center of your pupil to the bottom of the deepest part of the lens. No on line company can do this accurately. You also need other measurements, and if not taken without the frame on your face what do you think the chances are it comes out right? (Full disclosure I am a license optician in CT for over 20 years) There are over 100 types of progressive lenses. Some came out in the 90's and some came out last week, there is a big difference how they work. Take a computer from 2000 and compare it to one today. On line or Costco you get the 2000 version of progressives. Most on line or Costco type place glasses offer no warranty on a product not designed to hold up as well. When you go to a private practice you pay for service, expertise, quality and that they will stand behind it. There are some ways to save money but remember you will use theses every day for a couple of years. I bet if you could only wear one shirt for the next 2 years it would be made well.

Reaction Score
I was a Zenni (on-line) customer for severals and very pleased. I have standard bifocals and would go for fairly inexpensive frames - generally about $10-$20 for frames & $50-$60 for the lenses. No complaints - but no progressive experience. My latest prescription called for a type of lens they didn't offer, so after a lot of research I tried Costco. Their pricing was less than half of what the "local shop" wanted - about $200 versus over $400. The lenses themselves were $129, but I needed new frames. I'd advise trying Costco if you like local service and have serviceable frames for them to use.
Five different quotes and Costco was the best by far.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Progressive lenses require taking a measurement from the center of your pupil to the bottom of the deepest part of the lens. No on line company can do this accurately. You also need other measurements, and if not taken without the frame on your face what do you think the chances are it comes out right? (Full disclosure I am a license optician in CT for over 20 years) There are over 100 types of progressive lenses. Some came out in the 90's and some came out last week, there is a big difference how they work. Take a computer from 2000 and compare it to one today. On line or Costco you get the 2000 version of progressives. Most on line or Costco type place glasses offer no warranty on a product not designed to hold up as well. When you go to a private practice you pay for service, expertise, quality and that they will stand behind it. There are some ways to save money but remember you will use theses every day for a couple of years. I bet if you could only wear one shirt for the next 2 years it would be made well.
Also those same private practices, as you know better than I, can give you a heads up on macro degeneration as well as other major optical and ophthalmalogical issues. I have only one set of eyes for life, and I'll pay what's necessary for their safety. I also like nice frames, so....

Reaction Score
About 10 years ago, I started using Frames Direct to get my favorite frames, Silhouette, with progressive lenses. Of course, these purchases were always preceded by a visit to an eye doctor for a new prescription. I was quite satisfied with the glasses and saved quite a bit of money.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I've been doing Harvey and Lewis for the past 15-20 years. They are not cheap, but they are not outrageous either. And the level of service in their Canton store is outstanding. Part of my high cost is that I choose silhouette brand frames, which are overpriced rimless frames, but I like them. I also have progressive lenses. The fit and measurements are perfect every time. And the people are quite nice, highly skilled and professional. And they don't complain if you keep your frames and just change the lenses.

On another note. I used to work for an ad agency that had an eyeglass frame client. The markup on frames is unbelievable. I mean really, really unbelievable at every level in the supply chain. That explains the availability of online deals. They are still making good money. But if you think of the costs a retail eyeglass store has, you can understand some of the need for high margins.

Reaction Score
And virtually all glasses are produced or owned by one company: Luxottica. So the is essentially zero price competition unless going online.

Reaction Score
And virtually all glasses are produced or owned by one company: Luxottica. So the is essentially zero price competition unless going online.
This is the biggest misnomer out there. Luxottica produces about 40 brands of eyewear (they buy the licensing rights to some of the biggest names you know) yet there are probably over 500 eyeglasses brands on the market today. As far as markup is concerned retail mark up based on the wholesale price is not any greater than almost anything else. One of the better quality company's takes 200 man hour for every frame it designs, and that has a cost. Other company's make cheap knock off's of the style for much less since there is less work to be done and the materials used are not nearly as good. There is a very wide price range for products but you often get what you pay for. You could buy a Ford Fiesta or a Mercedes both drive on the road but some people will pay more for the better built vehicle.

Reaction Score
This is the biggest misnomer out there.
Misconception, not misnomer. :) . Thanks for the information that I didn't know. My sense of it is based somewhat on this wikipedia explanation:

The company has been criticised for the high price of its brand-name glasses, such as Ray-Ban, Oakley, and several others. A 2012 60 Minutessegment focused on whether the company's extensive holdings in the industry were used to keep prices high. Luxottica owns not only a large portfolio of brands such as Ray-Ban and Oakley but also retailers such as Sunglass Hut and Oliver Peoples, the optical departments at Target and Sears, as well as key eye insurance groups including the second largest glasses insurance firm in the US. It has been accused of operating a complete monopoly on the optical industry and overcharging for its products — for example, increasing the prices of Rayban sunglasses after buying the company as well as temporarily dropping Oakley from its frame design list, then when the company stock crashed, purchasing the company. In addition, it has been argued that, by owning the vision insurance company EyeMed, it also controls part of the buyers' market as well.

Reaction Score
Misconception, not misnomer. :) . Thanks for the information that I didn't know. My sense of it is based somewhat on this wikipedia explanation:

The company has been criticised for the high price of its brand-name glasses, such as Ray-Ban, Oakley, and several others. A 2012 60 Minutessegment focused on whether the company's extensive holdings in the industry were used to keep prices high. Luxottica owns not only a large portfolio of brands such as Ray-Ban and Oakley but also retailers such as Sunglass Hut and Oliver Peoples, the optical departments at Target and Sears, as well as key eye insurance groups including the second largest glasses insurance firm in the US. It has been accused of operating a complete monopoly on the optical industry and overcharging for its products — for example, increasing the prices of Rayban sunglasses after buying the company as well as temporarily dropping Oakley from its frame design list, then when the company stock crashed, purchasing the company. In addition, it has been argued that, by owning the vision insurance company EyeMed, it also controls part of the buyers' market as well.
It is not the number of frame brands they sell, but yes, it's the insurance and retail outlets that are the thoughts behind there monopoly. There are many ways small independent doctors can compete and believe me we are trying

Reaction Score
Another satisfied Costco glasses purchaser here. Progressive, transitional, anti glare, etc, for under $300. Had them about a year and they are just as good as those I'd had done anywhere else, for less.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom