OT: Buying eyeglasses online | The Boneyard

OT: Buying eyeglasses online

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The price I got from the place in my eye doctor's building was $550. I see pretty much the same thing online for $100. The only difference is the sunlight transition thing, scratch resistant, and bifocals, which I can do without.

Does anyone have an experience buying online? If so, where?

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Got my current set of frames from Warby Parker and couldn't be happier. Great price, excellent quality, and amazing customer service. Embrace your inner hipster.

Reaction Score
i actually just bought a pair today. i think the standard-bearer for online eyeglasses is warby parker -- you can try frames on at home for free, and the glasses are substantially cheaper than anything you get in a store. i think plastic frames are $95 and metal frames are something like $145.

39dollarglasses.com is cheaper, but i can't imagine that the level of quality and customer service is as high.

Reaction Score
i work in the eye health field, and you wouldn't believe the mark-up on glasses.

i think most people are aware that they are getting ripped off, but would probably shocked to find out exactly how much they are getting ripped off by.

Reaction Score
My wife had a great customer service, but bad product experience with Warby Parker. The frame-picking process was great and the glasses came on time, and looked right. The price was great despite me getting "at cost" glasses from a friend.

Unfortunately, there was something wrong with the lenses which resulted in a funny experience. We had just recently redone our kitchen. My wife got all confused (and angry at our contractor) because the counters were "warped." I had to get a level to prove to her that they were fine. She put on her old glasses and realized that the new glasses were warping her vision.

She contacted Warby Parker and they refunded the money. I'm sure they would have redone and sent the glasses, but we decided to drive to my friends practice. Eye doctors just send the glasses out for grinding anyway so I'd think our experience wasn't the norm and they'd be a solid option.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Friends just turned us on to them and my wife and daughter have used them and have been happy.

My eyes (and prescription needs) are way too complicated and important to me for me to trust an on-line place, and if and when I ever change frames, I like to go try on lots of different ones and get input from people who have some experience, so I stick with the bricks and mortar business I've been going to for almost 25 years. Insurance takes a bit of the bite out of price, but it still ain't cheap. Then again, I got more than 20 years out of the first pair and recently had them repaired; and I'm going on five-plus years with two other pair. They are also always happy to adjust them whenever I walk in, which avoids me trying to do it myself and screwing them up.

Reaction Score
I've bought from Eyebuydirect and no problems. I've got a single-vision pair that I use for playing music that were $19, goggles for cycling that were $60, and a pair with progressive lends and transition shading that were about $100. I'm rough on my glasses, so I'd rather break a pair that costs $50 than one that costs $400.

Reaction Score
Zenni is the best and cheapest by a mile. Just get the script from the doctor, and punch in the numbers on the site after picking the frames. 2 weeks later, you're good.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Zenni is the best and cheapest by a mile. Just get the script from the doctor, and punch in the numbers on the site after picking the frames. 2 weeks later, you're good.
Also make sure your dr puts your pupil distance on the script . Msny don't , you can measure yourself ( they give instructions) but way easier to just already have it

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
People trust that online companies will get the optic centers in the lenses correct?

Risky.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
People trust that online companies will get the optic centers in the lenses correct?

Risky.

Between wife daughter and I, Ive bought at least a dozen pairs over the last few years. (I continuously fall asleep and crush mine) .... theyve always been fine.

Reaction Score

Risky.

if you're worried, most of the professionals i know will check lenses (and adjust or repair frames) for free or relatively cheap. the process of checking the 'script in a pair of glasses is actually relatively easy/quick as long as you have the equipment.

the equipment on the other hand... insanely expensive!

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
if you're worried, most of the professionals i know will check lenses (and adjust or repair frames) for free or relatively cheap. the process of checking the 'script in a pair of glasses is actually relatively easy/quick as long as you have the equipment.

the equipment on the other hand... insanely expensive!
My guy is an optician in Meriden. Have about 5 more years until he retires.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Also make sure your dr puts your pupil distance on the script . Msny don't , you can measure yourself ( they give instructions) but way easier to just already have it

Is it his the part where they measure and put dogs on the lenses when you go to an optician? And does this apply for progressive lenses? These have been my two greatest concerns about mail order.

Btw, Zenni ad is currently on this Boneyard page.
Nice, creepy, both, the way of the world, pay the bills for OP, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom