OT: Building a backyard pond

Has anybody here done so? All serious advice and suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I dug a 3/4 acre pond using a bulldozer and excavator. PM me if you want to talk about it.
Basic rules of pond building:
If you have heavy clay soil, great.
If you have sandy, well drained soil, bad.
Don't make sides too steep - dangerous.
If you want fish, be aware of depth requirements.
Be aware of geology - around here, once you get down 10 feet or so, you're into shale, and you'll have a pit, not a pond, if you dig into that.

Pay someone. Make sure they are clear from day one that if the pond won't hold water, they will fix it. If you have heavy clay, it will hold water better. Otherwise, you'll need to bring soil in to line the pond. Make sure you have plenty of water, our pond has 7 small springs feeding it. Some ponds have one strong spring feeding them. If you divert stream water to the pond it will fill with silt unless it is well screened and filtered prior to entering the pond.

Sandy area, no clay. I plan on using a liner. Not sure I can afford hiring someone to do it.

RichZ

Methuselah's older brother
Sandy area, no clay. I plan on using a liner. Not sure I can afford hiring someone to do it.
Ponds with liners are pools. Liner acts as a benthic barrier, and inhibits the development and growth of the more desirable types of botanical life forms, which in turn leads to higher levels of less desirable botanic life (since nature will always find a way to balance the botanical/biological balance in an aquatic environment) and you run the risk of ending up with a slimy bottom and algae blooms at the surface.

Fishy

Puncher of Throats
Anyone else asks about building a pond and I think they're building a pond.

Tom asks about building a pond and I think he's trying to create a medium with which to infect his neighbors with malaria.

Anyone giving him advice might be considered an accessory.

@Fishy I would never harm a kid, but their parents are fair game. We need a plague to get rid of some these dumb bastards I call neighbors.

Fishy

Puncher of Throats
I'd like to take a moment to announce the first annual Boneyard Fishing Derby!

Time and date to be determined, but the location has been chosen...