OT: Brew pubs | The Boneyard

OT: Brew pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We had lunch in a local brew pub today. Typical of most brew pubs the draft menu was heavy with oddly named in house selections. Not being familiar with the offerings I asked the waiter for a "dark beer" somewhere between a stout and a porter. He brought a large draft, I took a big sip and almost puked. Imagine a beer that tasted mostly of coconut and chocolate. It also had "undertones" of caramel. Who puts that kind of crap in beer?

I am not a beer drinker. A beer after a round of golf or after mowing the lawn is about my speed. But I expect a beer to taste like beer. Especially at $11 a glass. Any brewer that would create such a concoction should be sentenced to 10 years hard labor in a Bud light factory.

Reaction Score
We had lunch in a local brew pub today. Typical of most brew pubs the draft menu was heavy with oddly named in house selections. Not being familiar with the offerings I asked the waiter for a "dark beer" somewhere between a stout and a porter. He brought a large draft, I took a big sip and almost puked. Imagine a beer that tasted mostly of coconut and chocolate. It also had "undertones" of caramel. Who puts that kind of crap in beer?

I am not a beer drinker. A beer after a round of golf or after mowing the lawn is about my speed. But I expect a beer to taste like beer. Especially at $11 a glass. Any brewer that would create such a concoction should be sentenced to 10 years hard labor in a Bud light factory.

LOL.....but I am sorry for your experience.

Reaction Score
No scolding vtcbuff but Waquoit hit the beer on the head. ;) It is common practice to ask for a sample of any brew once a server describes it to you or what it may compare to. I agree with you both but understand the human palate has a very broad range. You can serve ten people the same beverage or food and get ten different replies on how much they did or did not like it.
Your admission of not being a beer drinker helps to explain your frustration. Had a couple of guys on the job today raving about peanut butter and jelly chicken wings. Does not sound like my cup of tea, I will try one of theirs before I order a dozen. :D

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Having spent many years on the retail periphery of the beer industry, what it comes down to is, there's good news and bad news. At the turn of the twentieth century, almost every American city of any size had local breweries, local favorites, local tastes. By, oh, the late 1960's into the 1970's, literally almost all of those breweries had either died or had been bought out by a larger regional or national brand - even during this time period, some of the largest national beers, like Schlitz and Stroh's, were bought out by even larger brands, like Miller.

Basically, the American beer industry shrunk to about 2 dozen producers. Almost all of them produced the same style, a light-colored lager.

There was a back-lash. Micro-breweries erupted all over the country, with richer styles, more daring product, much more variety - ales, lambics, stouts, porters, heffweizens, you name it. That's the good news. The bad news is, some of 'em aren't all that pleasant. They're over-hopped, over-flavored, over-manipulated, like taking a simple grilled chicken recipe and turning it into a Phd thesis of an entree. You can over-do almost any food item, in search of innovation and "wow!", and it's certainly happened to beer.

It really is incumbent upon the service staff to know their product line in a brew-pub, and to communicate with their customer - to read their preferences and limits. It's also incumbent upon the customer to be honest about their expectations. But, yeah, I've sold lots of beer, I home-brew my own, and it's no longer "vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry". Beer is now "Ben & Jerry's", and, like B&J's, some of the options are a bit "out there" for my tastes.

My better half and I ran into this out in northwest Indiana, a couple of years ago. We made a pilgrimage to The Three Floyds brew-pup, literally nationally renown for their exotic, eclectic brews. Well, I could handle the beer, but, we wanted lunch too - and the food menu suffered from "creative envy", I guess. The menu was limited, and, frankly, it was weird. I was trying to find something "normal" that my sweetie could eat, and settled on a beef brisket - well, when it came out, she took one bite, turned to me and said "this tastes like feet!".

I took a bite. She was right.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Of course the lesson learned is to get a sample first. But I agree, I want my beer to taste like beer. Same with coffee.
I agree, and i don't want beer made in someone's cellar!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Quick plug for Willimantic Brewing Co, located in the old post office on main street. They have great brews and a huge selection of guest brews on tap from all over the country and even more bottles/cans. And their food I think is really good, good selection of standard fare. My one complaint is they always have one of their brews available as 'cask conditioned' (hand pulled) but 90+% of the time it is one of their weird experiments and not something I want to drink.

When going into any brew pub, do read the description of the beer for strange ingredients and 'style'. And if you are unsure always ask for a taste before you order a pint.

I grew up in the era when Bud was about as good as it got and it went down hill from there quickly! Spent my 16th year in England and fell in love with real beers and ales, and rejoice at the explosion of both brew pubs and companies like Boston. But every company makes some really wacko brews - beer should not have pumpkin, or blueberries, or ________ as one of its ingredients, EVER. Hops, barley, (wheat, rye), yeast, water! With those ingredients and a little loving care it is hard to really screw up. Add fruit and spices and you are just killing a good thing.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
When I had a cellar I made beer in it and it definitely tasted like beer! Best way to make beer in your cellar is make it while drinking some from the last batch.

I have a friend that brews beer in his cellar but he isn't your usual home brewer. The guy is a PHD chemist and he has invested in some expensive brewing equipment. However, he isn't interested in brewing weird ass stuff with chocolate and coconut, he just sticks to traditional brews that taste like beer should taste.

Reaction Score
I have a friend that brews beer in his cellar but he isn't your usual home brewer. The guy is a PHD chemist and he has invested in some expensive brewing equipment. However, he isn't interested in brewing weird ass stuff with chocolate and coconut, he just sticks to traditional brews that taste like beer should taste.
My investment was just a couple 5-gallon carboys, some tubing, bottle capper, couple funnels, thermometer, maybe a couple other odds & ends. $150-200 max. You get about 2 cases per batch. Unless you buy a carbonator (a little too 'factory' for me), you put a little sugar in right before bottling and let it ferment in the bottle to produce the carbonation. So you get a little sediment in each bottle and it's best to decant it into a glass. Kind of a pain, but worth it to enjoy your own creation.

Reaction Score
Having spent many years on the retail periphery of the beer industry, what it comes down to is, there's good news and bad news. At the turn of the twentieth century, almost every American city of any size had local breweries, local favorites, local tastes. By, oh, the late 1960's into the 1970's, literally almost all of those breweries had either died or had been bought out by a larger regional or national brand - even during this time period, some of the largest national beers, like Schlitz and Stroh's, were bought out by even larger brands, like Miller.

Basically, the American beer industry shrunk to about 2 dozen producers. Almost all of them produced the same style, a light-colored lager.

There was a back-lash. Micro-breweries erupted all over the country, with richer styles, more daring product, much more variety - ales, lambics, stouts, porters, heffweizens, you name it. That's the good news. The bad news is, some of 'em aren't all that pleasant. They're over-hopped, over-flavored, over-manipulated, like taking a simple grilled chicken recipe and turning it into a Phd thesis of an entree. You can over-do almost any food item, in search of innovation and "wow!", and it's certainly happened to beer.

It really is incumbent upon the service staff to know their product line in a brew-pub, and to communicate with their customer - to read their preferences and limits. It's also incumbent upon the customer to be honest about their expectations. But, yeah, I've sold lots of beer, I home-brew my own, and it's no longer "vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry". Beer is now "Ben & Jerry's", and, like B&J's, some of the options are a bit "out there" for my tastes.

My better half and I ran into this out in northwest Indiana, a couple of years ago. We made a pilgrimage to The Three Floyds brew-pup, literally nationally renown for their exotic, eclectic brews. Well, I could handle the beer, but, we wanted lunch too - and the food menu suffered from "creative envy", I guess. The menu was limited, and, frankly, it was weird. I was trying to find something "normal" that my sweetie could eat, and settled on a beef brisket - well, when it came out, she took one bite, turned to me and said "this tastes like feet!".

I took a bite. She was right.
Pinot, you couldn't have said it better. I love even in the local pub when a tourist comes in and has no idea what Cottrell or Smittick's is, the bartender gives them a little sip. We are having a micro-brew expansion down here in SE CT and it's only for the better.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Rowdy, I owned my little package store in Noank when Cottrell first hit the scene - I remember getting deliveries from the back of a station wagon. I still have my Cottrell pint glass in my cupboard.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I find it a heck of a lot easier to just walk into a package store!

Reaction Score
Rowdy, I owned my little package store in Noank when Cottrell first hit the scene - I remember getting deliveries from the back of a station wagon. I still have my Cottrell pint glass in my cupboard.
Small world. I owned a bakery in Noank and you were my landlord:)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The is a great new brew pub in Branford called the Stony Creek Brewery. They themselves serve no food but daily have specialty food wagons come in and sell in a reserved area of the parking lot. Thursday, Friday and Saturday there can be 200+ there using the outdoor deck and rec area and the great inside facility along with their tremendous beers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom