OT: Brett McMurphy/Jeremy Crabtree out @ ESPN Bloodletting... | The Boneyard

OT: Brett McMurphy/Jeremy Crabtree out @ ESPN Bloodletting...

Reaction Score
There is an active thread on the Conference Realignment Forum (Ugly round of ESPN layoffs?) but college football coverage takes a hit...

Brett McMurphy‏ @McMurphyESPN 22m22 minutes ago
After 5 great years, I’ve been laid off by ESPN. It was a tremendous opportunity & I enjoyed working w/a lot of really, really good people

Jeremy Crabtree‏ @jeremycrabtree 16m 16 minutes ago
Six years ago, made most difficult decision ever made leaving @Rivals to come to @ESPN. Even after being laid off today, I don’t regret it.

... a decent number of lesser known P5 conference reporters gone as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, he's a friend of mine and a good guy. The idea he was out to get UConn is insane.
You good?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, he's a friend of mine and a good guy. The idea he was out to get UConn is insane.

I thought he was good. He often gave us unwelcome news about our status in realignment unfortunately, and some people aren't fond of harsh truths.

Reaction Score
ESPNU: ESPN layoffs hit Charlotte offices

>>When you watch a college football halftime show on ESPNU, the studio you’re seeing will no longer be in Charlotte. As part of a round of about 100 layoffs companywide, the sports network is moving its ESPNU studio operation from Charlotte to Bristol, Conn., where ESPN is based, a source close to the matter told the Observer. A few ESPNU positions will remain in Charlotte, primarily the people responsible for producing the large number of events that air on the channel. In total, fewer than 10 people in Charlotte are being laid off. The SEC network operations, as well as an events division, will remain in Charlotte. ESPN employs about 200 people locally.<<

Reaction Score
Trent Dilfer got axed too. Thought he was pretty good. ESPiN just making more room for the no-name loudmouths.

I really liked dilfer and thought he did a great job. Enjoyed his analysis and insight.

He will be hired quickly, too good not to. And even if he isn't hired, the man has NFL money and an NFL pension. I wish I were so lucky. ;)

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Trent Dilfer got axed too. Thought he was pretty good. ESPiN just making more room for the no-name loudmouths.
RIP
Dilfer's Dimes

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
ESPN is playing to the 18-35 group but not sure that is working with so many cutting the cord.

Only watch ESPN when my team is on

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
McMurphy was a snarky dweeb who tended to glom onto other people's scoops.

Nevertheless, I am sorry he is unemployed.

I'm not sure what ESPN's goals were here, but they're a much less interesting company now.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I'm not sure what ESPN's goals were here, but they're a much less interesting company now.
Pretty much comes down to : who can get more clicks / likes / tweets / shares. Actual sports insight or journalistic talent not required. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Pretty much comes down to : who can get more clicks / likes / tweets / shares. Actual sports insight or journalistic talent not required. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think they realized their shrinking market doesn't care about reporting. Let somebody break a story, ESPN will take credit for it anyway.

Reaction Score

Appears the goal is to slash costs no?
Seems pretty transparent.

Without knowing the financials, would question whether this is simply putting a bandaid over a compound fracture.

I would think the bigger expenses are tied up in all those contracts with various conferences, leagues, etc. Problem is, those aren't nearly as flexible. And the constant flow of cash from cable subscriptions has dropped which likely covered bad deals in the past.

Going after pennies suggests ESPN has some dark clouds overhead and on the horizon.

Would also add that anyone chearing these cuts doesn't understand the broader implications to a struggling ct economy.

Reaction Score

... you obviously read his many words far differently than I did.

I think he was snarky. And frankly had this P5/Southern SEC/ACC attitude. In what world does the Flagship Program - with major 11 Women's National Championships + 4 Men's National Championships + that HCRE Fiesta Bowl/competitive + competitive BRAND programs in other sports NOT belong in their little cartel from the wealthiest state in the US + the reach into valued metropolitan markets of Boston & NYC; yet, you can have 2 Mississippi Programs & 4 North Carolina Programs & the putrid AD of Boston College.

Cartels fall apart. That may not be Econ 101; but in one of your first Econ courses in the next 200 level ... that's what you learn. It should include UConn & it will lead to the Giants trying to abscond with even more revenue in some fashion.

Reaction Score

They just were not as big and important in the sports world as they thought they were, overpaid a lot on football, baseball and basketball contracts. They need to down size and swallow going back to reruns of Australian rugby, reruns of flying fishing with Bobby Knight and Curt Gowdy, maybe some new content like Russian Football, and ladies work out videos with guest hosts like Joe Namath, Bill O'Reilly, David Hasselhoff, and Bob Diaco, leading the way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom