OT: Book readers | The Boneyard

OT: Book readers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Hi everyone - I'm trying to get a handle on all the book readers out there - iPad, nook, Kindle, etc. Does anyone have suggestions on which to get and why? AFter last vaca where hubby and I had 5 books b/w the both of us, we may want to make the switch, although I am still hopelessly in love with actual books.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I am admittedly prejudiced...but AMAZON is already singlehandedly putting independent bookstores out of business, so anything that ISN'T an Amazon dependent product works for me! BTW, you can buy downloads for Nook from your local bookstore, so that's also a plus in my book!

Reaction Score
I don't own an e-reader YET but, have concluded the Nook is probably the best way for ME to go.

I like the abilty to download from local booksellers (like R. Julia) AND (AFAIK) "borrow" from the local library.
I don't like being totally dependent on the proprietary Amazon deal.

The additional capabilities of the lastest noon (e-mail, web surfing etc) are the tipping point for me.

I am admittedly prejudiced...but AMAZON is already singlehandedly putting independent bookstores out of business, so anything that ISN'T an Amazon dependent product works for me! BTW, you can buy downloads for Nook from your local bookstore, so that's also a plus in my book!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have both a Kindle 3 and an iPad and love both. Each works best in different conditions.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I use the (free) Kindle app on my iPhone and couldn't be happier with it.

And I'd say Barnes & Noble has done more to kill local bookstores than Amazon, so I wouldn't see the Nook as better from that perspective.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just bought my son and step son a KindleFire for Christmas. I don't really know myself, but it is specifically the one they wanted.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I've had a Kindle for a couple of years now. I don't leave home without it. I have not bought a casual reading paper book since I got it. I really like being able to bring my whole Kindle library with me on a trip and if I want something new to read I can buy a new book from the comfort of my hotel room. Download time for an entire book is just a matter of a few seconds.

My wife has an IPad and a droid phone with a Kindle app. I prefer the Kindle. Just be aware that a Kindle is an e-reader and little more. I bought my grandson a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have not bought a casual reading paper book since I got it. I really like being able to bring my whole Kindle library with me on a trip and if I want something new to read I can buy a new book from the comfort of my hotel room.
That is one of the best things about having the Kindle. No extra bag for all my books.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I have both a Kindle 3 and an iPad and love both. Each works best in different conditions.

Any pros/cons to either of them? Heard that iPad doesn't work great outdoors

Reaction Score
Bought my wife a Nook Color last Christmas and she loves it. I hate the thought of giving up real books, but also know I will not be able to move seven bookcases the next time we relocate. Hence, I'm thinking about a Nook tablet, which seems to score slightly higher than the Fire in reviews. I don't want to read a book on a screen, but if I have to, the Nook makes it pretty easy to do so.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Any pros/cons to either of them? Heard that iPad doesn't work great outdoors
The iPad does not work great outdoors because it is a backlit screen, whereas, the Kindle is eInk and needs an external light source on it, sun or lamp, to be able to read it. This is exactly why I have both since my bookmarks from one are transferable to the other and therefor with syncing I am always in the correct place in any of my current books. For price you cannot beat the new Kindles. They are as low as $79 but the power of the iPad and the numerous apps I use and maintain including connection to work material from my church and home office is invaluable. The tremendous resolution of the iPad is, also, slightly easier on the eyes.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Put me down for the same.

If you just want an ebook reader the Kindle is HEAD and SHOULDERS the best choice. Forget the color screens readers (can't be read in bright light) and weight is definitely an issue - the Kindle is light, and has many platforms (iPhone, Android, iPad, etc) and doesn't have the disadvantage of being tied to a B&N company that may not exist in a year.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
I've had a Kindle for a couple of years now. I don't leave home without it. I have not bought a casual reading paper book since I got it. I really like being able to bring my whole Kindle library with me on a trip and if I want something new to read I can buy a new book from the comfort of my hotel room. Download time for an entire book is just a matter of a few seconds.

My wife has an IPad and a droid phone with a Kindle app. I prefer the Kindle. Just be aware that a Kindle is an e-reader and little more. I bought my grandson a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Have a Kindle and am exploring the world of $.99 books (some surprisingly good!). My timing was just off - Had I waited another couple of weeks, I would have bought the Kindle Fire and been able to follow the Boneyard on the go !

After just donating about 12 bins of paperbacks to a veteran's organization, I can also say that I have yet to be criticized for having books laying all over the place and taking up space !

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I suspect that the Kindle Fire and it's Nook counterpart are nearly equal in performance. What the Nook doesn't have is Amazon/Kindle behind it. The last time I looked Kindle was touting something like 450,ooo publications available. Add to that the fact that Amazon isn't going anywhere and it's advantage Kindle.

Reaction Score
Perspective is an amazing thing. From my point of view, a major advantage of the Nook is that it does NOT have Amazon behind it. Amazon has been very proprietary about the Kindle, and I am told that you do not have the flexibility in downloading books onto it that you have with the Nook. I have no personal experience with the Kindle, but I know, from having watching my wife, that you can borrow e-books at the library and read them on a Nook. Before buying, check to see if that's true on the Kindle. Free books are generally the best kind.

Also, check to see how many book formats Kindle will support. That's important because books are saved electronically in several different formats. My wife's Nook supports several of them. This can become important if you see something that seems like a real bargain compared to what you might find at Amazon or B&N. My wife found a compendium of classic literature -- more than 80 novels -- for free. It was in a format supported by Nook, so she downloaded it and now is enjoying the pleasures of Charles Dickens, at no cost.

One thing my wife loves about the Nook is the fact that every B&N has a Nook expert on duty. This person has taught her how to use the device and how to download books from lots of places, many of them NOT B&N. They had problems with the power cords on Nooks sold late last year. The B&N person helped her order a free replacement. This is in-store, in-person help, right at the front desk. You can't beat it.

My wife loves the fact that she can read her Nook in sunlight and turn on the backlighting device to read in bed without having any other light source.

Based on her experience an a demo I saw today, I'll be asking Santa for a Nook Tablet. It's a Nook Color with a whole bunch more power, so it can play load the Internet and play Netflix and other videos a lot more quickly than the standard Nook can, and has all the same reader features.

I've tried the Kindle. It's nice enough and it's lighter, but I found the Nook a whole lot easier to read. I liked the page-turning feel of the Nook better, and I think the Nook Tablet has more features.

Reaction Score
I'd go for ipad or one of Android tablets. That way you can get both kindle and nook apps and not be tied down to only one ebook store. Also i wish they would give away ebooks when you buy a real one, but that's a topic for another thread.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69