OT- Bobby Knight 30 for 30 espn | The Boneyard

OT- Bobby Knight 30 for 30 espn

Reaction Score
very interesting, I see a lot of similarities in Calhoun and Knight. aside from the abuse of course.

Reaction Score
very interesting, I see a lot of similarities in Calhoun and Knight. aside from the abuse of course.
I think that's an easy comparison that gets made but I see it as a lazy one. Not directed at you but I don't see Knight as a good person, I actually see him as a bad guy. The only good things I can say about him is that he graduated his players and was a great coach. What he is as a person though is a bully who turns on his kids. He lied about Niel Reed and got all the higher ups at the University and the whole state to turn on the kid. When the video came out he still tried to say that what people were seeing didn't actually happen.

It was all about Bob Knight to the point of him destroying the kids who weren't 100% behind him and creating a mob mentality where peoples lives were threatened. Years later when asked about IU he says he hopes everyone there is dead. Bobby was a brilliant coach but he strikes me as a pretty sick guy. The special left me feeling really sad about humanity. We see this mob mentality play out over and over when a beloved figure to many has their dirty laundry shown to the public.

Sorry for the long response but I hate bullies.

Reaction Score
And biggest jerk of the night goes to...
Screenshot_20181129-204001001.jpeg
Neil Reed didn't say anything bad about Dakich, he misremembered in what was obviously a traumatic time for him because his coach grabbed him by the throat. So Dakich is basically saying, sorry you're dead kid but you're a f^^^^^g liar for saying I helped you.

Reaction Score
Bobby Knight showed what a true scumbag he was & still is when wished all the Indiana hierarchy dead for having the gall to hold him to account. Bobby may have been a great bb mind but I think calling him a "coach" is not appropriate for the way he behaved and treated human beings.

Also screw Dan Dakich for his disgusting tweet, we'll never if anyone came between Neil Reed and Knight because the tape ended within seconds of Knight grabbing Reed's neck. To call a deceased Reed a "full of " is just so out of bounds & Dakich of course misses the main point that everyone in power positions (including Dakich) overlooked & covered for Knight's horrible behavior for years.

Great 30 for 30..........

Reaction Score
And biggest jerk of the night goes to...
View attachment 36879 Neil Reed didn't say anything bad about Dakich, he misremembered in what was obviously a traumatic time for him because his coach grabbed him by the throat. So Dakich is basically saying, sorry you're dead kid but you're a f^^^^^g liar for saying I helped you.

We can all agree that Dan Dakich suuuuuuuucks.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I think that's an easy comparison that gets made but I see it as a lazy one. Not directed at you but I don't see Knight as a good person, I actually see him as a bad guy. The only good things I can say about him is that he graduated his players and was a great coach. What he is as a person though is a bully who turns on his kids. He lied about Niel Reed and got all the higher ups at the University and the whole state to turn on the kid. When the video came out he still tried to say that what people were seeing didn't actually happen.

It was all about Bob Knight to the point of him destroying the kids who weren't 100% behind him and creating a mob mentality where peoples lives were threatened. Years later when asked about IU he says he hopes everyone there is dead. Bobby was a brilliant coach but he strikes me as a pretty sick guy. The special left me feeling really sad about humanity. We see this mob mentality play out over and over when a beloved figure to many has their dirty laundry shown to the public.

I agree with everything you've said here. There have also been sexual harassment allegations against him in recent years. There is no comparison between Calhoun and Knight except on the basketball court. Bobby Knight is not a nice person.

Reaction Score

I met Jim Calhoun only once. It was a few years ago. I was a bit nervous because the guy brought so much happiness to me over the years through his job, but I certainly knew he could be salty. I didn't want my positive memories tarnished. First I randomly met him in an elevator heading towards the alumni event. He was genuinely nice to everyone despite not having to be "on" yet. At the event, he made sure to talk to everyone and take pics. Not just a "hello" but he really wanted to be part of the conversations. This will sound hokey, but you could see that he's a good guy in his eyes.

JC reminded me so much of the "Good Will Hunting" characters. Quick to start a fight, maybe even with his buddies, but if you are his guy NOBODY else could mess with you. And that included a crazy drive to beat everyone that wasn't his guy. That turned people off because they weren't his guy. They respected him, but they also feared messing with him. Guys like Bobby Knight use fear in all (most) of their interactions/relationships. He's the quintessential bully. Of course he could show a heart and had a circle of people that he was close with, but that's an exception, not the norm.

Re 30 for 30 and someones comment above about their wife, ESPN does a great job on these. My wife doesn't like many sports and she loves most of the 30 for 30s. They are certainly worth watching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom