OT: Big10, SEC to discuss scheduling partnership | The Boneyard

OT: Big10, SEC to discuss scheduling partnership

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

It sounds like the Big10 wants the SEC to get down to 9 conference games, so it’ll be the same number for both conferences. Then they’d have an OOC scheduling arrangement with each other.

Looks like we are one step closer to a P2 paradigm, at least UConn football is going to have it’s act together in time for the next round of realignment!

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
The crappy part about this is that we'll likely see teams playing in these BIGSEC inter-conference match-ups during the regular reason and then likely see the same teams play each other in the playoffs (bad enough we went through this a few years with the SEC IIRC). Where is the fun and joy in that? I have the NFL if I just want to watch the same high level teams playing each other regularly.

Reaction Score
The crappy part about this is that we'll likely see teams playing in these BIGSEC inter-conference match-ups during the regular reason and then likely see the same teams play each other in the playoffs (bad enough we went through this a few years with the SEC IIRC). Where is the fun and joy in that? I have the NFL if I just want to watch the same high level teams playing each other regularly.
If it's via a playoff, I'm ok with it because that happens in every sport. But if it is just bowl game arrangements where nothing matters other than bragging rights, I'm not tuning because I already saw it. So I'm right there with you.

Reaction Score
Won't bother watching either.

Reaction Score
They are looking for more revenue opportunities. For example, the ratings for Alabama/Michigan would be higher than Alabama/USF. And, they probably will include bowl games. Why would the P2 play bowl games against other conferences when they can create better matchups?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
When, not if, this happens, I'll be tuning CFB out and focusing solely on NFL. It's bad enough that only the SEC and B1G get the majority of coverage. I can't even stand watching College Game day and I used to always start my day with it 15-20 years ago. Now it's trash and only focuses on two conferences. Sure, those two conferences have massive fan bases but I'd be really curious how long they can sustain that model of just playing themselves in conference and each other OOC before more and more casual fans tune out.

Reaction Score
This is also a protective measure for the two conferences. They're already considered head and shoulders above the rest. If you don't mix with the rest of the conferences, you don't run the risk of inadvertently elevating anyone else to their level.

From there the perception builds that feedback loop that lets you claim 4 autobids per each P2 conference and no more than 1 from any other conference.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This has been coming for a while with the SEC and Big Ten. They are the power brokers in CFB, so UConn needs to get a lifeline in one of the big conferences. The Big East and the independent route is not a winning hand

Reaction Score
This has been coming for a while with the SEC and Big Ten. They are the power brokers in CFB, so UConn needs to get a lifeline in one of the big conferences. The Big East and the independent route is not a winning hand
Exactly. I don’t understand why UConn just doesn’t join BIG at this point. Why are we dealing with Big12???

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
SEC and Big Ten teams will get ~4 teams in the playoff anyway each year. Not really a change to just give them auto bids.

Reaction Score
SEC and Big Ten teams will get ~4 teams in the playoff anyway each year. Not really a change to just give them auto bids.
Not necessarily. What happens in down year or when parity happens because they all beat each other up and BIG champ is 8-4? It’s a money grab. Soon they’ll want 6 slots to further cement their control.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I don’t understand why UConn just doesn’t join BIG at this point. Why are we dealing with Big12???
Becaussssssse...we're not invited? It's not something we set the terms of lol.

Reaction Score
Sure, we'll just shoot the BIG an email and let them know we'll be there tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Becaussssssse...we're not invited? It's not something we set the terms of lol.
What if we just showed up? Acted like we’re in BIG. Go to media days, start playing more games against BIG in all sports. Pretty soon people are like ‘wait, UConn isn’t in BIG?’

Reaction Score
Sure, we'll just shoot the BIG an email and let them know we'll be there tomorrow.
Don't worry I'll talk to the Big 10. I'll get us in. They can't help but listen to a Dr. Who nerd working on his phd in Chem Eng right? I really have my finger on the sports heartline.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom