OT: Best Mac laptop for high school student? | The Boneyard

OT: Best Mac laptop for high school student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Middle daughter is a high school freshman and in need of a laptop. She is dead set on a Mac and has saved up enough money to contribute substantially. Oldest daughter is a junior with whom we went through the same process when she was a freshman. She wanted a touchscreen and certain other features that dictated a PC rather than a Mac for her, and she got a very nice Sony that she still uses, but she has since told her sister that she wishes she had gotten a Mac instead.

So, we are looking at the MacBook options and I have no idea what is essential and what is unnecessary, in terms of size, technology and features. We want it to last through at least the four years of high school. We have an iMac at home, but I use PCs at work and my laptop is a PC (Dell), so the MacBook specs are like a foreign language to me. And obviously the cost is substantially higher for Macs than PCs, so we don't want to overdo it.

I know there are a lot of parents and college students here, and some high schoolers as well. I would appreciate any insights you have about what the best bets are for the typical use to be expected of a high school student today (with which I am increasingly out of touch, in terms of technology and what is happening in the classroom).

Also, she has been looking at the refurbished MacBooks on apple.com in hopes of getting more computer for her money. Does anyone have any advice about or experience with buying refurbished computers from Apple?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Reaction Score
For a high school freshmen girl, a macbook air is plenty. 13" would be my recommendation. Apple should give you a student discount too.

-College Student

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
13" MacBook Pro is the best all around Apple device and value available. My MacBook Pro was one of the best purchases I ever made, simply does everything right with no hassles. Avoid the new 12" MacBooks (not pro, just MacBook) as they are pricey for their performance and are known to be underpowered.

Reaction Score
The absolute cheapest one you can get if it really has to be a Mac. What is a 13 year old girl going to be doing to push the performance?

Reaction Score
The absolute cheapest one you can get if it really has to be a Mac. What is a 13 year old girl going to be doing to push the performance?

Hey laptops get a good workout by watching hours of continue 1080p music videos of One Direction and Taylor Swift.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well, for better or worse, she's got my taste in music and has mostly been listening to my vinyl on the basic record player I got her for her birthday. Billy Joel, Elton John, the Clash and Stevie Wonder have been in constant rotation.

But yeah she also watches a lot of videos, Netflix and does Spotify.

She's somewhat interested in computers and programming and has a basic understanding of code (or at least more than I do).

I'm sure a Mac is more than she needs now, but she's worked to save the money for it because it's what she wants, and we want it to be something that lasts her, technology-wise, through high school at least. I get the "cheapest possible" point, but it ain't going to be cheap by any measure imo, and it seems that the technology (e.g., memory, speed, etc.) gets cheaper by the upgrade once you're already in the door, so I don't want to foolishly overlook an upcharge that might provide a lot more value, relatively speaking.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
there is absolutely no reason a high school student needs a $1300 laptop...
Are you the one paying for it? Also the man asked for what the best "mac" is, so are we to suggest Dells and HPs?

It's true, a teenage girl could accomplish the same tasks using a $400 Walmart computer, but there is a massive difference in quality. I had my old MacBook Pro for nearly 7 years and it was still working like new the day I sold it (for nearly $400 nonetheless, great resale) before buying something new. Whereas every cheap, bottom shelf laptop my family has bought has been worthless plastic within 2 years.

A Toyota gets you to work just as well as a BMW can.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
8893 said:
Well, for better or worse, she's got my taste in music and has mostly been listening to my vinyl on the basic record player I got her for her birthday. Billy Joel, Elton John, the Clash and Stevie Wonder have been in constant rotation. But yeah she also watches a lot of videos, Netflix and does Spotify. She's somewhat interested in computers and programming and has a basic understanding of code (or at least more than I do). I'm sure a Mac is more than she needs now, but she's worked to save the money for it because it's what she wants, and we want it to be something that lasts her, technology-wise, through high school at least. I get the "cheapest possible" point, but it ain't going to be cheap by any measure imo, and it seems that the technology (e.g., memory, speed, etc.) gets cheaper by the upgrade once you're already in the door, so I don't want to foolishly overlook an upcharge that might provide a lot more value, relatively speaking.
Honestly the retina MacBook Pro 13 inch ( the 1300 dollar one ) will have way more than enough horses to last her through high school considering what you describe. Coding and learning code doesn't really factor in. I will spare you the get the same specs pc, ( for 1/2 the price) because I too have a daughter who is a freshman. And basic b's are gonna basic b :)

Macs for a teen girl are the computing equivalent of yoga pants, pumpkin spice lattes and north face jackets.

Reaction Score
She's somewhat interested in computers and programming and has a basic understanding of code (or at least more than I do).
If that's the case, really do her a favor and don't get a mac. Introduce her to Linux, push her to be a software engineer and she'll have no trouble finding work after college and be set for life.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
huskiesNhoos said:
If that's the case, really do her a favor and don't get a mac. Introduce her to Linux, push her to be a software engineer and she'll have no trouble finding work after college and be set for life.

Eh, you can code on anything. And macs are UNIX based, so if she is REALLY that inclined terminal will get her under the hood pretty quickly.

( signed, someone who codes as part of his job)

Reaction Score
Are you the one paying for it? Also the man asked for what the best "mac" is, so are we to suggest Dells and HPs?

It's true, a teenage girl could accomplish the same tasks using a $400 Walmart computer, but there is a massive difference in quality. I had my old MacBook Pro for nearly 7 years and it was still working like new the day I sold it (for nearly $400 nonetheless, great resale) before buying something new. Whereas every cheap, bottom shelf laptop my family has bought has been worthless plastic within 2 years.

A Toyota gets you to work just as well as a BMW can.

But my BMW always puts a smile on my face. A toyota never puts a smile on my face unless its a Supra, MR2, or a pruis left in cloud of tiresmoke from the burnout the guy in the muscle car did right next to him.

Reaction Score
Honestly the retina MacBook Pro 13 inch ( the 1300 dollar one ) will have way more than enough horses to last her through high school considering what you describe. Coding and learning code doesn't really factor in. I will spare you the get the same specs pc, ( for 1/2 the price) because I too have a daughter who is a freshman. And basic b's are gonna basic b :)

Macs for a teen girl are the computing equivalent of yoga pants, pumpkin spice lattes and north face jackets.

Don't forget the ugg boots lol

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've tried to push that, based in part on stuff I've read on this board. Don't think that's gonna happen. She's interested and understands her way around computers and devices better than anyone else in the house, but I don't think she's going to be programming anytime soon.

Working on geometry at the moment.

And for the record she doesn't have any yoga pants, never had or wanted a latte of any sort, doesn't have a North Face, and grew out of Uggs years ago.

Her older sister, on the other hand...

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I Bleed Blue said:
Don't forget the ugg boots lol
Uggs thankfully ( especially to my wallet) seem to be on the decline. It's this weird type of boot now and doc martens . Everything still there.

You familiar with the "Han Solo? " Google "Han solo look for girls, and that's what I'm seeing now

Reaction Score
I've tried to push that, based in part on stuff I've read on this board. Don't think that's gonna happen. She's interested and understands her way around computers and devices better than anyone else in the house, but I don't think she's going to be programming anytime soon.

And for the record she doesn't have any yoga pants, never had or wanted a latte of any sort, doesn't have a North Face, and grew out of Uggs years ago.

I got a macbook pro right after college, and like everyone here has said, it worked great. Had it for 2 or 3 years then got frustrated that I couldn't run a lot of my engineering programs on it. It's a great machine if you can justify the price tag. Who knows, if the computer stuff sticks, maybe she'll figure out what she likes/doesn't like about the mac, and be able to make a more educated decision down the road.

Unlike @August_West, I couldn't restrain myself from getting on my soapbox about the Macs being overpriced. The basic b comment was hilarious though...

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
8893 said:
I've tried to push that, based in part on stuff I've read on this board. Don't think that's gonna happen. She's interested and understands her way around computers and devices better than anyone else in the house, but I don't think she's going to be programming anytime soon. Working on geometry at the moment. And for the record she doesn't have any yoga pants, never had or wanted a latte of any sort, doesn't have a North Face, and grew out of Uggs years ago. Her older sister, on the other hand...

Congrats. Well done. I'm in hell.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Congrats. Well done. I'm in hell.
They're all different. Doesn't mean they're any less nuts.

Like I said, her older sister moreso fits that stereotype.

Just waiting to see what kind of twists and turns the youngest one takes once she hits her teens. And I can wait forever for that.

Reaction Score
Well, for better or worse, she's got my taste in music and has mostly been listening to my vinyl on the basic record player I got her for her birthday. Billy Joel, Elton John, the Clash and Stevie Wonder have been in constant rotation.

But yeah she also watches a lot of videos, Netflix and does Spotify.

I'm sure a Mac is more than she needs now, but she's worked to save the money for it because it's what she wants, and we want it to be something that lasts her, technology-wise, through high school at least. I get the "cheapest possible" point, but it ain't going to be cheap by any measure imo, and it seems that the technology (e.g., memory, speed, etc.) gets cheaper by the upgrade once you're already in the door, so I don't want to foolishly overlook an upcharge that might provide a lot more value, relatively speaking.

Bought my granddaughter a MacBook Pro when she was a HS Fr-she is into music and the MacBook Pro is great for that 9composing, recording etc) and has many advantages over PC's. She's now a So. nursing major and is still using it-she's also VP of her university a cappella group and uses in to rearrange songs! A great investment. I know college students get nice discounts on Macs and PC's, not sure about HS students though.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Uggs thankfully ( especially to my wallet) seem to be on the decline. It's this weird type of boot now and doc martens . Everything still there.

You familiar with the "Han Solo? " Google "Han solo look for girls, and that's what I'm seeing now

Ahhh, you are referring to Riding Boots. As ridiculous as Uggs.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As someone else mentioned, the resale value is great, so if she ever wants to dump it, you can get a decent return. Macbooks are the Honda of laptops.

Reaction Score

821890000dcda42d55a5a61364693b21.jpg

I am familiar

Reaction Score
But my BMW always puts a smile on my face. A toyota never puts a smile on my face unless its a Supra, MR2, or a pruis left in cloud of tiresmoke from the burnout the guy in the muscle car did right next to him.

I know how you feel-had a BMW 645ci that put a smile on my face for a while-until I had to start paying for the repairs. Just bought an Audi S4 and the smile is back!

Reaction Score
I know how you feel-had a BMW 645ci that put a smile on my face for a while-until I had to start paying for the repairs. Just bought an Audi S4 and the smile is back!

Understand 100%. They way I look at it is I love cars. They mean a lot more to me than daily commuter transportation and I'm willing to pay to play. What year S4? I would very like to be driving a B8 S4 myself in the next couple years. Its a great drivers car (especially with the sport diff) and the supercharged V6 can safely pump 375-400 awhp with a tune and pulley's.

Macbook's are the Audi's and BMW of the computer world. Not necessary at all as other options can do similar things for cheaper, but as an all around package very few are in the same class. You get what you pay for, which is also why I'm a big Apple guy too and currently using my 15" retina MBP. It's a beast.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score

Does she like a good lambic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member