OT: Best guitarist you have seen live.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Buddy's rider specifies a certain level of Hennessey. That's what's in his coffee cup. 2009 at the Gathering of the Vibes, Buddy is on the bill Sunday. The head honcho cheaps out and buy Henessey one level lower than required. One of the hospitality runners is frantic, Buddy won't on on without it, this is before Sunday sales in CT. Lucky she finds me and I give her directions to Varmax, the closest packy over the state line in Port Chester. Performance goes on without a hitch. Diva rock (blues) star ;-)
The man has few wants. Hennessey is how he channels the guitar gods. Respect that. Would hendrix have gone on without acid??

Buddy's rider specifies a certain level of Hennessey. That's what's in his coffee cup. 2009 at the Gathering of the Vibes, Buddy is on the bill Sunday. The head honcho cheaps out and buy Henessey one level lower than required. One of the hospitality runners is frantic, Buddy won't on on without it, this is before Sunday sales in CT. Lucky she finds me and I give her directions to Varmax, the closest packy over the state line in Port Chester. Performance goes on without a hitch. Diva rock (blues) star ;-)
That makes him even cooler.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
It gets in crazier. I’ve been on same bill as him he wants a 100 foot guitar chord. He says it’s better for tone, but I think it’s just that he wants to Mack on chicks in first 25 rows
When Chuck Berry was on the bill at one of the Terrapin fests, his backing band (Eric Kalb, Nate Wilson and Brian O'Callaghan, the promoter has to provide them) said his guitar was completely out of tune. They had top of the line techs backstage who wanted to re-string and tune it, he would not let them touch it. Resolute. Chuck managed to make it sound good!

When Chuck Berry was on the bill at one of the Terrapin fests, his backing band (Eric Kalb, Nate Wilson and Brian O'Callaghan, the promoter has to provide them) said his guitar was completely out of tune. They had top of the line techs there who wanted to re-string and tune it, he would not let them touch it. Resolute. Chuck managed to make it sound good!
Craziest night of my life is when I was 3rd call for Chuck Berry’s backup band in new Britain in early 90’s. First 2 calls couldn’t do it ( or in retrospect I think they were smarter) He was a pecker. A legend but an absolute Scalito.

Still.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
So I take my mom to Buddy Guy's club last night because she loves Blues music. Turns out Buddy Guy is actually sitting at the bar. We sit at a table right by the stage. There is a couple sitting at the table right next to us. It's a black guy and his girlfriend who is in the smallest tightest dress with the biggest breasts....

After the first band, Buddy Guy actually gets up on stage and performs. The guy next to me is standing up recording Buddy Guy so security comes over to tell him they've warned him 3 times that you can take pictures but no video recording is allowed. The guy starts yelling you're profiling me, and points to me and every other table saying they're all taking video, why are you profiling me and his girlfriend is getting heated at the same time and as I'm listening to her voice and looking more closely I figure out she is a he....

They're yelling at Buddy Guy on stage and Buddy starts diffusing the situation and says they can stay and he turns the situation into a song. He's singing
"I once had a Ferrari and I looked under the hood to find out the engine was no good...sometimes you look under the skirt to find out it ain't what you thought it was." He's singing like this and interacting with the couple who are now calmed down and fine with what he's doing. Buddy and security tell them they can stay but as security is walking away one of them calls the guy a "f^**ot ass ni**a" and things get heated again and it looks like there might be a fight for a second before everything calms down again....

Buddy has the bartender bring him a couple of shots to drink on stage and he proceeds to play another 40 minutes and brings the house down. 82 year old legend, who is still on top of his game and the drama only elevated the performance.

My mom had no clue what was really going on but she loved it!
Sad commentary on the state of people these days, but awesome response from Buddy.

Wish I remembered the name of the blues place I enjoyed most in Chicago... wasn't too far from McCormick Place, but south, not north. I distinctly recall me and my gf being the only white folk in there when we went. But we were always very welcome and the music was phenomenal. Wasn't Linda's Place, but in that general area and may not exist anymore.

Last edited:
In no particular order:
Roy Buchanan
Eric Clapton
Larry Cornell
Al Dimeola
Alan Holdsworth
John McLaughlin
Carlos Santana
Frank Zappa

Jeff Beck was one of the best guitarists I've ever seen. Not the fastest but really made his guitar sing. Could bend strings and his use of the whammy bar is just amazing. Lindsey Buckingham is a great guitar player. Even though I'm really not a big Fleetwood Mac fan Buckingham's guitar work live is sweet. Eddie Van Halen is another that in his prime had the "wow" factor going for live audiences. Carlos Santana is one of my favorites. Saw Santana twice live. Steve Howe has always been one of my favorites and have seen Yes 3 times.