OT: Best guitarist you have seen live.

The different music topics have me thinking about some of the guitar players I have seen live. Since it is off season, thought this would be a good topic as there are some many knowledgeable music fans out there.
I saw Jimi. I have seen Clapton...BB King, Roy Buchanan, Buddy Guy, Rick Derringer, Willie Nelson. some lesser know but great players. Lonnie Brooks, Ronnie Baker Brooks, Jellybean Johnson, Walter Trout, Kenny Wayne Shephard, Guitar Shorty. Others who have been around , Tom Scholz, Townsend, Dicky Betts, Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall, EVH, Mick Ronson. Jerry Garcia, Robbie Robertson, Robbie Krieger.
The best most original player I have seen is Eric Gales. He was a kid at Woodstock 94 played with his Godfataher(Carlos Santana, who I have also seen). He was going to be the next best thing, but hit a few bumps in the road and did some time. He is out and about.
A few other favorites worth Googling are Popa Chubby( who does IMO)the very best version of Halelujah, Ana Popovic, and I am sure I have missed some.
Feel free to add yours - but I have seen some greats.

I’ll go with bass guitarists because all the great metal guitarists are dead, or I have no interest in seeing their bands, or the guitarists I consider “great” nobody has heard of or cares about. Only truly notable guy playing a stringed instrument who I’ve see live is Evan Brewer and man what a player he is.

I hope I get to somehow see Les Claypool play live sometime but can’t imagine how that’d happen

Last edited:

Curiouser
Could have ended the thread there. I'm jealous.

I've seen a lot of the others you've seen and a lot of other greats, but I think the "greatest" I have seen was Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Jerry was my favorite of the ones I've seen, and Derek Trucks is my favorite living guitarist.

Duane is the one I most wish I had seen.

As you can see, I am in the less is more school; in many ways, the notes they don't play are more important to me than the notes they do play.