• Reminder: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

There’s a link in the top navigation bar for Amazon.com. Purchases made via this link help support The Boneyard. (Dismiss this notice by clicking the x at the top right of the box)

OT: Best Coffee

Thread can either be for best coffee roasters in general, or best places to get coffee in CT.

I'm not well versed enough in the first to give a great recommendation, although I'm drinking Freedom Blend from Giv Coffee Roasters right now and really enjoying it.

As far as places to get coffee, I've been to almost every well regarded place in the state with the exception of Fairfield County--some notable ones are Coffee Pedaler in New Haven, J Renee in West Hartford, Grounded in Willimantic. The best place by a huge margin (in my opinion) is Silk City Coffee in Manchester. They've been open for about a year and make incredible coffee while having equally delicious baked goods. Really friendly baristas and an overall great atmosphere--place is always packed and has helped to make downtown Manchester vibrant.

P.S. I can already hear the Boomers making fun of this thread. @whaler11 and @Jimmy Serrano here's your chance to get your shots in on Millennial culture.

J Rene is my spot. Guy makes a good damn roast. Either that or stumptown at Hartford Baking Company.

I’ll have to check out Silk. Giv coffee is pretty good. They have it at story and soil in hartford who make a solid cortado.

I love coffee, only drink it black, but stick to Trader Joe's stuff and make it at home in a French press. Lately I've been making my own half-caff so I can make three rounds per day and not rattle my teeth out of my head. I did the whole "coffee snob" thing for a bit, even roasted my own beans at home. I found it wasn't worth it.

What are some recommendations for New Haven? I'll try something new once or a twice a year as long as it's not $15/lb.

J Rene is my spot. Guy makes a good damn roast. Either that or stumptown at Hartford Baking Company.

I’ll have to check out Silk. Giv coffee is pretty good. They have it at story and soil in hartford who make a solid cortado.
Yup! Story and Soil is really good as well. As is HBC, though they're more known for the baked goods/food side of things. Still a solid spot

I love coffee, only drink it black, but stick to Trader Joe's stuff and make it at home in a French press. Lately I've been making my own half-caff so I can make three rounds per day and not rattle my teeth out of my head. I did the whole "coffee snob" thing for a bit, even roasted my own beans at home. I found it wasn't worth it.

What are some recommendations for New Haven? I'll try something new once or a twice a year as long as it's not $15/lb.
When I'm in New Haven, I either go to Coffee Pedaler or East Rock Coffee. The latter is fancier and probably better coffee, but they're not very friendly there. The latter is a great atmosphere and has more and better food options. Outside of that, there's a food truck that sells coffee called the Jitter Bus that is usually somewhere around Hillhouse Ave

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
NEAT in Darien. Still champion until I declare it's unseated!

There are now some others new roasters upstate I haven't tried - like the ones Phil and Scott mentioned. But I see a lot of coffee roasters that only do "organic". I'd stay away from those - the best coffees are not usually USDA certs, although they may well be "passive" organic.

Nothing against Willoughby's. I like those guys and they do have some gems. But they make most of their money off stuff I wouldn't drink. Somewhat surprised nobody mentioned Blue State.

If you're on LI, Georgio's in Farmingdale. It's a dump with two tables, but it's really good. Georgio is a boss. His cupping table is right behind the counter. And even though I only get there once a year, they remember my name and what I like.

There are now some others new roasters upstate I haven't tried. But I see a lot of coffee roasters that only do "organic". I'd stay away from those - the best coffees are not usually USDA certs, although they may well be "passive" organic.

Nothing against Willoughby's. I like those guys and they do have some gems. But they make most of their money off stuff I wouldn't drink.

If you're on LI, Georgio's in Farmingdale. It's a dump with two tables, but it's really good. Georgio is a boss. His cupping table is right behind the counter. And even though I only get there once a year, they remember my name and what I like.
Nice. Never been to the one in Darien, as I'm never down state. Next time I find myself heading south on 95, I'll make a stop.

Willoughby’s hands down for me. New Haven, Branford, Madison or online. I get their beans and make it at home, but they make great stuff there too.
I stopped at the New Haven location a few times over the years and never liked it. I drink my coffee black, whatever their house blend is was too bitter for my taste buds. I know a lot of folks who love that place though.

There are now some others new roasters upstate I haven't tried - like the ones Phil and Scott mentioned. But I see a lot of coffee roasters that only do "organic". I'd stay away from those - the best coffees are not usually USDA certs, although they may well be "passive" organic.

Nothing against Willoughby's. I like those guys and they do have some gems. But they make most of their money off stuff I wouldn't drink. Somewhat surprised nobody mentioned Blue State.

I’ve been to the blue state in Hartford and I thought it was just alright. They were just opening up so maybe they’ve gotten better. Anyone been to wired at the sonata? I’ve heard good things about the spot but nothing specific about the coffee.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Georgio’s is fantastic. Last I knew he had another spot in Huntington as well.

Curiouser
Nothing against Willoughby's. I like those guys and they do have some gems. But they make most of their money off stuff I wouldn't drink.
That’s fair and accurate for me as well. I only buy a few different Central American beans from them, which are part of their “Serious Select” collection and frequently brewed as a special feature in the store. That or an espresso is the only thing I ever buy that they prepare.

I stopped at the New Haven location a few times over the years and never liked it. I drink my coffee black, whatever their house blend is was too bitter for my taste buds. I know a lot of folks who love that place though.
I don’t like their house blend that much either. Just their special coffees.

GoUconn7961

Ally 8/25/08 - 3/13/18
My spot is Rumors Cafe in Danbury or Molten Java in Bethel. I'm more partial to Molten Java's Turkish Latte. So good.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Nice. Never been to the one in Darien, as I'm never down state. Next time I find myself heading south on 95, I'll make a stop.
While I've never been, Story and Soil looks like they have all the requisite equipment. If you're paying top dollar for single origins and your shop doesn't weigh out doses on an Acaia scale or similar, you're not getting the best product. Also, if they've got a Mahlkonig K43 grinder behind the bar, they're serious, or at least trying to be.

Fwiw, while I was in the high-end coffee biz for years, I don't normally buy really expensive coffee for home. I don't have the desire to fuss over exacting pourovers. I have a decent burr grinder and a slightly modded Mr. Coffee, or a Clever dripper if it's just for me.