Ot: best "chain" restaraunt

Our 2nd meal there was nasty. So now we love...

Longhorn Steakhouse. And Bertucci's.

Great thread! Will read again!
Longhorn is the only restaurant I've ever gotten sick from and it happened on 2 separate occasions. I gave it a 2nd chance thinking it was a fluke.

North haven one

Chains to me are vacation spots to eat before reaching destinations (then its all local).

But locally here I am now a fan of PF Changs and while traveling we will attack Cracker Barrel for breakfast (if the free hotel spread looks nasty or weak).

Don't overlook Chili's and Outback though they are a good backup if near the hotel.

August_West

Red Panda HATES Corn fed hawkeyes
Chains to me are vacation spots to eat before reaching destinations (then its all local).

But locally here I am now a fan of PF Changs and while traveling we will attack Cracker Barrel for breakfast (if the free hotel spread looks nasty or weak).

Don't overlook Chili's and Outback though they are a good backup if near the hotel.
I actually do like cracke barrel. Whole family likes it on drives down south.

I business a bunch. I've been to like 14 different Texas roadhouses they are the same every time. And cheap for what you get. One of the few places you can bury liquor on your food account. ;-)

The only crappy one I've ever been to was ( of course) west haven ct.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
To expand I'll put the roadhouse 22 dollar bone in rib eye over Ruth Chris' 70 dollar offering every day of the week, and if you say " I order filet" go home and find a transgendered restroom :)
I can only assume from this comment that you've never actually eaten at Ruth's Chris ya commie. For the record, I only eat there when either work/someone else is paying but their rib eye is one of the best steaks you will ever eat in your life. That said, the very best is made on the grill in my backyard in Reno with a $20 cut of prime rib eye. Texas Roadhouse is average at best and they somehow make their prime rib taste like hot dogs. I have never eaten prime rib that tastes that way. Awful. They do make a good baked potato though.

Hankster

What do I know.
Longhorn for me also. Although I wouldn't kick Texas Roadhouse to the curb. We have had great food there also. Only disappointment regarding Longhorn. They had Shrimp Cocktail which was great. Salty, but 6 or seven huge shrimp hanging along the rim of a sundae looking glass. Lettuce and cocktail sauce inside. Discontinued.
They had beanless Chili which was also great. Discontinued. These two items we always ordered no matter what main meal we chose. Longhorn had this Lamb Chop dinner with garlic mashed potatoes. I love lamb but couldn't put my fork down from the mashed potatoes. TR had them beat with the steaks. Longhorn had a wider variety on their menu.
If you asked me where to eat tonight I would have to toss a coin.

August_West

I can only assume from this comment that you've never actually eaten at Ruth's Chris. For the record, I only eat there when either work/someone else is paying but their rib eye is one of the best steaks you will ever eat in your life. That said, the very best is made on the grill in my backyard in Reno with a $20 cut of prime rib eye. Texas Roadhouse steak is average at best and they somehow make their prime rib taste like hot dogs. I have never eaten prime rib (i guarantee its nowhere near prime) that tastes that way. Awful. They do make a good baked potato though.
Um yeah I've eaten at ruth Chris at least 20 times and get this: every year for the last 25 years my father , brother, and I make a day at one of the great NYC steakhouses. At this point we are on the second trip around the list. Point being, I know good steak. Ruth Chris is overrated and if not overrated, overpriced.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Um yeah I've eaten at runt Chris 20 times and get this: every year for the last 25 years my father , brother, and I make a day at one of the great NYC steakhouses. At this point we are on the second trip around the list. Point being, I know good steak. Ruth Chris is overrated and if not overrated, overpriced.
All may be true. Still would rather eat there than Texas Roadhouse. I'm jealous that you do an annual NYC steakhouse dinner. I've eaten my way around Chicago, Vegas, Dallas and SF steakhouses 10 times over but have barely eaten in any in NYC. I had no money when i was living on the east coast and don't get there often.

August_West

All may be true. Still would rather eat there than Texas Roadhouse. I'm jealous that you do an annual NYC steakhouse dinner. I've eaten my way around Chicago, Vegas, Dallas and SF steakhouses 10 times over but have barely eaten in any in NYC. I had no money when i was living on the east coast and don't get there often.
Well yeah . I mean if you said " dinners paid for, Ruth Chris, or Texas Roadhouse? " I'm going to say Ruth's every day of the week . But in all seriousness it's 4 times the cost. " chain rest" To me is a bunch of stuff in The the 20 dollar a plate environment at best ( Friday's, chilis etc.....)

Btw nyc trips.
It's a rare treat. I'm lucky. It's the once a year me, my bro and my dad do something. And my dad goes hog wild . it's a cherished tradition .

CTMike

Analysis: Partly True
Love me some Roadhouse. Chicken fried steak with cream gravy and a cup of chili (let's be honest, if I'm at Texas Roadhouse, I ain't eating healthy).