OT Best Burgers by State | The Boneyard

OT Best Burgers by State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I can't say with certainty where you can get Connecticut's best burger. But I know that Louis' Lunch in New Haven stakes its claim to serving the first historic hamburger and that if you ask for ketchup on yours they will laugh you off the premises.

While we're at it, I confidently nominate Super Duper Weenie in Fairfield for best hot dogs and vouch similarly for the legendary buffalo wings at *Archie Moore's in several locations.

* on edit. It is not *Archie Moore, the old boxer, but some chap named Archibald Moore who came here from England over a century ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not much experience with CT hamburgers. Though I have seen Louis' Lunch (New Haven) on TV.
I did have the Black Label Burger at Minetta Tavern (NY). It is very good and also very expensive. The best ? It's in the running.
Let me suggest an alternative UMAMI Burger, an offshoot of the California original, on 6th Ave off of 10th St. Order their ahi tuna burger rare with extra wasabi on the side. One of my favorites.
I wonder what the best burger in Storrs is ?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Two suggestions in CT:
  • Bobby's Burger Palace in the Mohegan Sun (love the Dallas burger)
  • Plan B Burger Bar at 5 locations around the state and 1 in Springfield.
  • EDIT: Oops. Forgot the Shady Glenn cheeseburger... an institution!

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is an impossible comparison, far more than teams or players. Nevertheless, it can be fun--and informative. Now there's a bucket list: the best burger in every state. :)

The article had the desired effect. I decided to walk down to BGR in Old Town Alexandria for DC's best burger. I'm not sure it's the best, but it is good. Yum!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I can't say with certainty where you can get Connecticut's best burger. But I know that Louis' Lunch in New Haven stakes its claim to serving the first historic hamburger and that if you ask for ketchup on yours they will laugh you off the premises.

While we're at it, I confidently nominate Super Duper Weenie in Fairfield for best hot dogs and vouch similarly for the legendary buffalo wings at *Archie Moore's in several locations.

on edit. It is not *Archie Moore, the old boxer, but some chap named Archibald Moore who came here from England over a century ago.

Having a schtick does not the "Best" burger make. The mere fact that they don't "allow" the option for ketchup disqualifies Louis' Lunch from the conversation.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
pandasad.gif

WHY WHY WHY DID I ENTER THIS THREAD .... I WAS GETTING PREPARED TO GO FOR A EVENING WALK IN THE PARK..

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Now Im super hungry :oops:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I second Plan B.

I also love a particular burger I just had at Red Robin on Monday. The one in Manchester is great for my wonderful children, and they do a nice burger.

U

UCONNfan1

I second Plan B.

I also love a particular burger I just had at Red Robin on Monday. The one in Manchester is great for my wonderful children, and they do a nice burger.
We have a Red Robin up in La Jolla near where I live in California. It is very good. In-N-Out Burgers are indeed great, but they are fast food. Still, much better than any other fast food chain, and there is literally a line of at least 20 cars waiting for the drive through at every single restaurant from the minute they open till the minute they close. That says something about the desire locals have for their burgers...

Reaction Score
Louis Lunch is an expensive overrated tourist trap. When my daughter was a patient at Yale, she slept during most of the day and night, so my husband and I decided we needed comfort food, and snuck out to Louis. 2 burgers with sides of potato salad in a paper cup, and 2 soft drinks and $30 (!!!) later, we knew we'd been duped. It took 45 minutes to get our order, and the "gentleman" preparing the food was anything but. The burgers were tasteless and certainly nothing special...and yet, the place was packed. Some people will really buy into the hype that places like this put out there. Don't waste your money!!!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Have never heard of the South Carolina 'winner'. But if you happen to find yourself on Hilton Head it's Harold's Diner.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Last edited:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
A burger with a crab cake on top? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Prime 16 gets my vote. 5 guys is okay. K. LeMay's Steamed Cheeseburger in Meriden...now that's the bomb!!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Spent the Elite 8 through NC game at Chicago Sam's in Cromwell. I'll take their cheeseburger club on toasted wheat any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Louis' Lunch.

Bacon, seasoned fries, a beverage or two, and any condiment I choose for less...plus quicker & friendlier service.

Reaction Score
Max Burger in West Hartford is pretty wonderful. And I love Louis' Lunch.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
We have a Red Robin up in La Jolla near where I live in California. It is very good. In-N-Out Burgers are indeed great, but they are fast food. Still, much better than any other fast food chain, and there is literally a line of at least 20 cars waiting for the drive through at every single restaurant from the minute they open till the minute they close. That says something about the desire locals have for their burgers...
Tried In-N-Out when we moved to AZ and were not impressed. For a burger - not trying to be gourmet - we like Five Guys, mostly because the toppings that we can get suit us and the Fries are good. There are a number of chains (local or regional) out here that we haven't tried, but have rated ok on local reports.

Reaction Score
(snip)In-N-Out Burgers are indeed great, but they are fast food. Still, much better than any other fast food chain, and there is literally a line of at least 20 cars waiting for the drive through at every single restaurant from the minute they open till the minute they close. That says something about the desire locals have for their burgers...

2nd In-N-Out Burgers. One burger is all they sell, although you can get a single or a double and a few choices on add-ons.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Hmm...never been to the Illinois winner, Au Cheval. But it's not far from where I work. I'll have to try it sometime.

The PA winner is in Philly...I don't even consider Philly as part of PA, to be honest. It's so different from the rest of the state or from my part of the state at least.

Also, I concur that Five Guys > In 'N Out.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The Grape in Texas is a worthy winner. They only serve it at Sunday brunch and it's insanely good.

Reaction Score
I've never had in In N Out, but I concur that Five Guys is fantastic for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom