OT: Best Bagels... Because, why not? | The Boneyard

OT: Best Bagels... Because, why not?

Reaction Score
The most recent posts in the pizza thread got me thinking, where are the best places to get bagels?

Outside of New York, the closest thing I've had to a good bagel was from Village Bagels in Orange on the post road, think its moving now though. Still on a search for the best bagel in NYC, suggestions welcomed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would try the Dunkin' Donuts.

You'd think they would only have donuts, but they have bagels and muffins and other things.

It's all rather glorious.

Reaction Score
I became addicted to french toast bagels for awhile. Rather spectacular. Bagel french toast, on the other hand, sorta sucked.

I also really like the cinnamon chip bagel at Panera Bread. Of course, it's basically just tricking yourself into having dessert.

Reaction Score
Fancy Bagels: Two locations- Queen St. in Southington & Rte. 6 in Farmington up the hill from Tunxis C.C. Just an f.y.i.: Saturday mornings are a madhouse at the Southington location as people are grabbing breakfast on their way to the golf courses, kids sports practices, shopping. Allocate your time.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm curious if there's anywhere around Manchester... Between Rounds/supermarket/Dunkin just don't do it for me...

Reaction Score
For the OP looking for best bagels in NYC. If you mean Manhattan, then I think they are all overrated (just like pizza). Making bagels is easy. Almost no ingredients and everyone knows the key is boiling them. The most important thing is experience and freshness. IMO, every neighborhood in Brooklyn and many towns in NJ have better bagels than Manhattan because they are small places where the owner gets in at 3 am to start making the bagels.

Reaction Score
For the OP looking for best bagels in NYC. If you mean Manhattan, then I think they are all overrated (just like pizza). Making bagels is easy. Almost no ingredients and everyone knows the key is boiling them. The most important thing is experience and freshness. IMO, every neighborhood in Brooklyn and many towns in NJ have better bagels than Manhattan because they are small places where the owner gets in at 3 am to start making the bagels.
There's a place in bayridge by the 4th and 5th ave split that's awesome. I forget the name.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
There's a place in downtown milford that's really good called the bagel bar.

Place is always solid.

Also, Dunkin should have stuck to his donuts. The coffee and bagels there are awful as well as those sponges they pass off as meat.

Reaction Score
If you live near the shoreline, then Cohen's on Post Road in Madison has the best bagels by far!!!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's closed now, but seriously, the best bagels I've ever had were at the Lender's in Orange. People laugh, because all they know about Lender's is that you can buy frozen Big 'N Crusty bagels at your local supermarket.

But Lender's, which sold bagels in the front but was also a restaurant, had the most amazingly perfect bagels on earth. If you were lucky, you'd show up right as they were dumping a piping fresh batch into one of the bins.

Reaction Score
To place a lower frame of reference on this, any bagel W of NJ is crappy. You haven't lived until you've had a NM, etc, bagel. In Brooklyn, they claim the bread is great because of the water. Try Royal Crown (not for bagels).

Reaction Score
Dunkin does fine when your in a pinch

Only in a pinch though... Dunkin donuts makes horrible bagels. They're just glorified rolls shaped like bagels. They lack that chewiness & crust a good bagel has.

Bagelz in Glastonbury does have some good ones.

Reaction Score
It's closed now, but seriously, the best bagels I've ever had were at the Lender's in Orange. People laugh, because all they know about Lender's is that you can buy frozen Big 'N Crusty bagels at your local supermarket.

But Lender's, which sold bagels in the front but was also a restaurant, had the most amazingly perfect bagels on earth. If you were lucky, you'd show up right as they were dumping a piping fresh batch into one of the bins.

Right on! Harry & Murray Lenders, CT Bagel legends.... now they could make a bagel.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I have yet to have a good bagel in the state of CT. They all suck. Bagelz? Seriously?

Maybe I'm partial as it's my old hometown, but I have yet to have a better bagel anywhere (including some of the manhattan "legends") as Celebrity Bagels - Tenafly, NJ. Crunchy, almost crisp on outside, soft on inside. Also, huge. A revelation.

Reaction Score
You're right the bagels in Manhattan are way overrated just like the pizza. New Jersey has the best bagels by far, 2 great bagels are Sonny's bagels in South Orange and Super Duper Bagel in Livingston.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I never go back to West Hartford without getting bagels from Lox, Stock, & Bagel

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ami's in Waterbury is great. Fancy Bagel in Southington is okay as well. Too many high schoolers there showing off their lacrosse scars and plaid shorts. With that being said, Ami's >

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am not a bagel guy bt in Essex there was a fly-by-night eatery that opened, them closed, who had amazing bagels from a place in Waterbury. Hopefully i will see the guy again and verify. He started out with even more amazing bagels out of NYC but was tired of picking them up each morning.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Bagelman up in Danbury and Brookfield is pretty good, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom