OT: Belichick on bball players converting to football | The Boneyard

OT: Belichick on bball players converting to football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On whether the Patriots scout basketball players who may have had a football background, and how they typically translate to the football field: "I would say that the big thing for most basketball players, in general, is that they’re quicker than they are fast. When you get out there and time a lot of those guys in the 40-yard dash, they’re slow. They might look fast on a basketball court, but we have a much bigger field. I’ve seen that several times, I’ve had those situations with Coach [Bob] Knight at Indiana. [He’d say] ‘Hey, I want you take a look at this kid, he’s this, he’s that,’ and he was, but then you go out and put a watch on him and he’s just not fast enough to play at this level."

Reaction Score
Add pads, helmet, etc.. Also being able to run while constantly getting bounced ain't easy, especially when you haven't played in a while.

Reaction Score
Add pads, helmet, etc.. Also being able to run while constantly getting bounced ain't easy, especially when you haven't played in a while.

Right, but I think he's talking about sprinting with no equipment ala the football combine.

Reaction Score
I always thought that Donny Marshall would have been an incredible tight end.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I always thought that Donny Marshall would have been an incredible tight end.
I always saw Donny as a receiver. I saw Kevin Freeman as a tight end.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Picture Drummond as a defensive end......

designated FG blocker

or maybe let him stand on the line of scrimmage to deflect passes

Reaction Score
In a 40 you are starting to stand up with longer stride length towards the end. I think basketball players aren't ever coached to run the 40. Give them proper coaching and use their long legs to their advantage and you would see better transition. If you don't know what i'm talking about, than watch track guys run the combine 40 on youtube. Low for the first 15-20 with legs pistoning and then start getting more upright maximizing stride length. A lot of talent being passed over I bet

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In a 40 you are starting to stand up with longer stride length towards the end. I think basketball players aren't ever coached to run the 40. Give them proper coaching and use their long legs to their advantage and you would see better transition. If you don't know what i'm talking about, than watch track guys run the combine 40 on youtube. Low for the first 15-20 with legs pistoning and then start getting more upright maximizing stride length. A lot of talent being passed over I bet

Doesn't always translate to football though. There's so much more going on. It's a head game as much as a physical one.

Reaction Score

I don't think Belichick is passing talent over. I think he's considered everything you wrote. Belichick stuck a wrestler who didn't play football at guard (Stephen Neal) and he currently has a rugby player on special teams (Nate Ebner). If you can contribute, Belichick will use you. I'm not sure if Julian Edelman could have made any other team. There certainly has never been anything else like him in the NFL. A skinny short QB who is converted into a WR?

Reaction Score
my point is that if you pass on a player because of his 40 time and he hasn't specifically trained for it, than you may be missing on some players. Neal is different because he's a lineman. Ebner played football at ohio state. he was a rugby player that was given a shot at ohio state and excelled on special teams at ohio state.

I'm not arguing that nfl teams aren't giving these guys a shot. It's that they give up very quickly if they don't see certain times. It's extremely common for tall players to take .1-.2 off their 40 simply by teaching proper arm swing and stride length. stride length is even more important for players with very good strength to weight ratios. A strong and tall basketball player fits both criteria. You can't compare the times of a random workout with a former basketball player to the times of football players at the combine. The prep for the combine distorts numbers.

To me i think teams should bring in 20-30 D1 basketball players each year who have the most potential as wide receivers and tight ends and have a coach work with them for a few weeks to see if anyone stands out. finding one very good wide receiver or tight end every few years would be worth the time and money spent on a camp for the players. If you hit a home run with a player, than it is well worth it. There are tons of guys with insane physical measurables who don't have the basketball skills to make it in the NBA.

Reaction Score
To me i think teams should bring in 20-30 D1 basketball players each year who have the most potential as wide receivers and tight ends and have a coach work with them for a few weeks to see if anyone stands out. finding one very good wide receiver or tight end every few years would be worth the time and money spent on a camp for the players. If you hit a home run with a player, than it is well worth it. There are tons of guys with insane physical measurables who don't have the basketball skills to make it in the NBA.

I could be wrong but this is not possible. When you bring players in pre-draft and in preseason camps, you only get so much time with them. Pre-draft visits are for physicals, interviews, and chalkboard stuff only. No workouts. For a coach to work with someone for as long as you describe, they would need to be on the off season roster which has a limit of 80 (?) players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom