OT: Bedroom speaker system | The Boneyard

OT: Bedroom speaker system

Reaction Score
Looking to get some active speakers to pair with an Amazon Echo. I've got somewhere in the $300 range to spend. I have a large bedroom in the 20x20 range so the small single speakers would not sound great. I've also put some thought into getting a small amplifier and using some smallish bookshelf speakers with them.
My current thought are the Audioengine A5+ speakers. They're a tad over my budget, Audioengine is selling some refurbished models for $320.

Anyone have a system in the $300 range that sounds good enough to fill a relatively big room?

Reaction Score
I use this system for my surround sound in a room roughly that size - amazing quality for the price when hooked up to a good receiver:

(sidenote - I have always valued high-quality sound and have owned everything from Bose to Klipsch, and find these to be excellent value)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Looking to get some active speakers to pair with an Amazon Echo. I've got somewhere in the $300 range to spend. I have a large bedroom in the 20x20 range so the small single speakers would not sound great. I've also put some thought into getting a small amplifier and using some smallish bookshelf speakers with them.
My current thought are the Audioengine A5+ speakers. They're a tad over my budget, Audioengine is selling some refurbished models for $320.

Anyone have a system in the $300 range that sounds good enough to fill a relatively big room?

Here you go brother:

The Best Home Bluetooth Speaker

While not perfect, one of the better review sites going.

Reaction Score
Surround sound system -- ✓
Wall of mirrors --
Rotating circular bed --
Customizable voice controlled lighting --
Omni-directional HD multi-camera recording system --

You got some work ahead of you...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Surround sound system -- ✓
Wall of mirrors --
Rotating circular bed --
Customizable voice controlled lighting --
Omni-directional HD multi-camera recording system --

You got some work ahead of you...

Huge circular mirror that descends from the ceiling for pounds and pounds of blow.

Reaction Score
The A5s are amazing. I bought a pair several years ago on the recommendation of an audiophile friend. He said they compete on quality with speakers twice the price. If you decide to go that direction, you will not be disappointed.

$320 is a great price and I would trust AudioEngine with refurbs.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The A5s are good but IMHO overpriced - low end is very good for the size but there are others out there that are comparable/better and cost less
Look at Elac - I've owned Klipsh, JBL, B&W, Wharfedale etc and on a whim, with some "play money", bought my son a pair of ELAC on recommendation of an extreme audiophile associate and when I set them up - I kept them and gave him my Wharfedales (that cost 4 times the Elac when I purchased them 4 yrs ago) I just love the natural sound from these speakers - vocals are amazing - HOWEVER not sure about usage as a "theater" speaker
Again - the A5s are good and if that's what you decide it's a good choice
Good Luck

Reaction Score
With the demise of the' listening room', speakers are hard to classify. I've always liked KEF. Boston Acoustic is great - lower price point. Never liked anything that Best Buy, etc, carries.

Reaction Score

NHT SuperOne 2.1 - B Stock

NHT Super-one and a small amplifier. I have roughly the same size room and superzero's do more than enough but the one will give you more bass without a subwoofer to carry the load.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Reviving this thread. Sonos speakers are incredible everyone should own them.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I've got a pair of B&W bookshelfs that I love. I got them for $7 a piece at Goodwill though. That would probably be difficult to replicate.

Reaction Score
As long as we’re talking speakers I was wondering about suggestion for keyboard or synthesizer speakers that produce good sound but are not too expensive.

polycom

Reaction Score
As long as we’re talking speakers I was wondering about suggestion for keyboard or synthesizer speakers that produce good sound but are not too expensive.
klipsch makes good stuff

intlzncster

Reaction Score

The muso's like @August_West might know or know somebody.

Reaction Score

I'm a luddite and know virtually nothing about this sort of thing but at some point we ended up with Sonos speakers all over the house and I have to admit they're pretty great. I also laugh every time I see the line under your avatar. Office life is a blast.

Reaction Score
I always wanted Sonos but never made the investment. Didn't best buy drop Sonos from their premium audio and tv room due to a change in manufacturing or reduction in overall since quality a few years back?

polycom

Reaction Score
I always wanted Sonos but never made the investment. Didn't best buy drop Sonos from their premium audio and tv room due to a change in manufacturing or reduction in overall since quality a few years back?

Not sure but I wouldn’t trust a company like Best Buy to judge quality... however I did a good amount of research and the sonos have drawbacks but the sound quality isn’t one of them.

Reaction Score
I take it your're not looking for a hi end 1o,ooo watt stadium system. I like the KEFs. Efficient, very accurate, and while not 'cheap', not priced anywhere near similar very hi end speakers.

Reaction Score
Not sure but I wouldn’t trust a company like Best Buy to judge quality... however I did a good amount of research and the sonos have drawbacks but the sound quality isn’t one of them.
You revived thread tho say sonos are great but then said the have their drawbacks.

Can you briefly summarize any drawbacks you've experienced?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom