OT: Basketball development- AAU vs. Europe | The Boneyard

OT: Basketball development- AAU vs. Europe

Reaction Score
Even the best teams in AAU don't develop talent. They showcase it. Even if they wanted to, EYBL teams have kids coming from hours away on all directions. They don't have enough (or sometimes any) times to actually practice.

My old team would usually average 2 practices a week during the last bit of March and April. Once the season really got underway we were lucky to get one. We probably had 20 practices PER YEAR.

Small, local teams do a better job of developing talent. They can actually meet with the kids a couplefew times a week.

Reaction Score
A few random thoughts:

A lot of kids are playing for aau teams based in different states than the one they live in. Team practices just aren’t happening.

The American youth system has been criticized for a long time, but we keep producing a lot of players so something is working.

I’ve been out of the aau scene for a while, but there are well coached teams.

Reaction Score
The American youth system has been criticized for a long time, but we keep producing a lot of players so something is working.

Popularity. More kids START playing basketball for a team here than the rest of the world.

Also, plenty of high school teams are doing a good job developing talent. Most high-level players have had individual trainers most of their childhood as well.

AAU is not a development tool for high level HS players. It just isn't. It's an exposure tool. If you ignore AAU, our developmental system is similar in quality to Europe.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There are a few Euro bred players every year who develop into really good college players and a few more who come directly from out of the Europe who make really good NBA players.
Bottom line is that the vast majority of the best come from the USA and a majority of those played AAU. You don't play AAU to get better and if so, it is through playing a higher level of competition. You play AAU to showcase. The college game has evolved to being the next stage AAU.
The Europeans are not taking over the NBA. Two players, Doncic and the Joker don't signify and takeover.

Reaction Score
There are a few Euro bred players every year who develop into really good college players and a few more who come directly from out of the Europe who make really good NBA players.
Bottom line is that the vast majority of the best come from the USA and a majority of those played AAU. You don't play AAU to get better and if so, it is through playing a higher level of competition. You play AAU to showcase. The college game has evolved to being the next stage AAU.
The Europeans are not taking over the NBA. Two players, Doncic and the Joker don't signify and takeover.
Don't forget Giannis. You could make the argument (I'm not, just saying) that they have taken over considering there hasn't be a USA born MVP since Harden in 17-18

Reaction Score
Don't forget Giannis. You could make the argument (I'm not, just saying) that they have taken over considering there hasn't be a USA born MVP since Harden in 17-18

I think it's more a part of the globalization of basketball than just Europe. Plenty of African ballers out there too.

Joker, Giannis, Luka, Embiid.... after those 4 there's a pretty long (IMO) list of American players before you hit the next big time foreign player. Maybe Siakam?

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how quickly Victor W's skillset translates into NBA success.. Decent footwork for a young- tall kid..

Reaction Score
I think it's more a part of the globalization of basketball than just Europe. Plenty of African ballers out there too.

Joker, Giannis, Luka, Embiid.... after those 4 there's a pretty long (IMO) list of American players before you hit the next big time foreign player. Maybe Siakam?
That next group would be guys like Siakam, Gilgeous-Alexander, Jamal Murray, Sabonis, Markkanen, Gobert...

Star power is going to go even higher with Victor joining the league.

Reaction Score
The next two best prospects in basketball are Euros. The NBA could conceivably go a very long time without having another American born MVP.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The European system actually has a real farm league. Guys are pros when they are suppose to be in high school. So naturally, they’re going to be more developed because they focus on the game more.

Reaction Score
As Husky429 states, the goal for AAU is not development, but promoting the players. Their goal is to get the kids in front of the most eyes possible so they get the most scholarships possible. Once the kid goes to college, their job is done, they are not that interested on whether the kid becomes a good player or not.

In Europe and the rest of the world, the motivation is different. They are trying to develop players for the professional game, so they have a vested interest in making sure they develop players properly. They can't afford to send a player to the pro team not be ready to contribute as it would take away a spot from someone that would contribute.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
The European system actually has a real farm league. Guys are pros when they are suppose to be in high school. So naturally, they’re going to be more developed because they focus on the game more.

I was just going to ask this as I do not know much about the European bball development of players. In Europe for football, the real players leave school to go to football academies at a young age to develop their skills.

Reaction Score
As Husky429 states, the goal for AAU is not development, but promoting the players. Their goal is to get the kids in front of the most eyes possible so they get the most scholarships possible. Once the kid goes to college, their job is done, they are not that interested on whether the kid becomes a good player or not.

This is a stretch. There are plenty of very good AAU coaches who care a lot about their players' development. The coaches help connect players with good high school and college coaches who can continue to develop their talent in a better environment for learning skills.

AAU is not a vehicle for development. It's a way to get yourself in the best development spots via exposure to high-level coaches. Suggesting that AAU coaches don't care about whether a kid develops into a decent player is delusional.

Reaction Score
Canada could beat us in the olympics if all of their guys play
I meant to mention some of the guys born in Canada: Shai Gilgeous Alexander, Jamal Murray, Wiggins, Shaedon Sharpe, Brandon Clarke, RJ Barrett, Dillon Brooks, Mathurin, Dort....mostly all young guys.They could be really good but Canada has underachieved a lot in the past in international basketball so we would probably still smoke them.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I was just going to ask this as I do not know much about the European bball development of players. In Europe for football, the real players leave school to go to football academies at a young age to develop their skills.
Yeah I believe it’s the same for the basketball players. Their professional teams have “B” and “C” clubs that are like minor league teams.

I’m not 100%, but I believe that’s where the young kids play.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I meant to mention some of the guys born in Canada: Shai Gilgeous Alexander, Jamal Murray, Wiggins, Shaedon Sharpe, Brandon Clarke, RJ Barrett, Dillon Brooks, Mathurin, Dort....mostly all young guys.They could be really good but Canada has underachieved a lot in the past in international basketball so we would probably still smoke them.

Denham Brown scored 179 points in a HS game.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
We need a Soviet Red Army style training camp for our young basketball talents so the next NBA MVP doesnt have as many vowels in their name is my take away here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's becoming more like Soccer/Football. Truly a global game, where the clear best league just happens to be in the USA + Toronto. Africa seems to produce a disproportionate number of bigs, but not guards/wings. NHL is like that too now, Canada doesn't dominate like it once did. Czechs, Fins, Swedes, Russians.... MLB is international too. What's interesting is that each sport is popular in different places with minimal overlap.

Reaction Score

sure....but it is top heavy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom