OT: B1G/ACC Bowl game at Wrigley Field is off — for now | The Boneyard

OT: B1G/ACC Bowl game at Wrigley Field is off — for now

Reaction Score
Bowl game at Wrigley Field is off — for now

>>The breakdown in negotiations occurred because Cubs officials wanted a premier spot in the Big Ten bowl lineup — the ability to land the conference’s No. 3 or No. 4 team. When Big Ten officials queried schools, they responded that they would prefer a warm-weather destination.

The Cubs had the finances arranged for a bowl game at Wrigley but declined to make a deal for a lower-slotted Big Ten team. The sides amicably parted ways and said they might revisit a potential game.

“The Cubs wanted to have a higher-placed team and a potentially more excited fan base,” a source said. “The Cubs said they’re not looking for a lower-tier bowl game; they’re very selective in what they do.”<<

Reaction Score
Thank God. Watching football games in baseball stadiums sucks. The Pinstripe Bowl in Yankee Stadium is one atrocity too many as is. How was the person who proposed the idea of playing a bowl game in a Chicago Baseball Stadium in late December not laughed out of the room? At least suggest Soldier Field. NW has played at Wrigley. Its atrocious. Both teams share the same sideline and offense can only play in one direction. Tha Fuq? Here's an idea free of charge. Play somewhere people actually want to ******* go. :mad:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Games in Dec/Jan.,.let the south have its day.

Reaction Score
I'm actually surprised the Red Sox never attempted it.
They have Yale @ Harvard this season. That is more lucrative than the bowl game the Cubs are trying to land

Reaction Score
They have Yale @ Harvard this season. That is more lucrative than the bowl game the Cubs are trying to land

I knew that. The comment wasn't specific to just this year. It's just based on the fact that Sox ownership seems determined to squeeze every possible nickel out of Fenway and that the Yankees have had the Pinstripe Bowl sine 2010 I'm more than a little surprised they haven't a least floated the idea of a bowl game. Would it be ridiculous ? Yes but that rarely stops people in the quest for $$$.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I knew that. The comment wasn't specific to just this year. It's just based on the fact that Sox ownership seems determined to squeeze every possible nickel out of Fenway and that the Yankees have had the Pinstripe Bowl sine 2010 I'm more than a little surprised they haven't a least floated the idea of a bowl game. Would it be ridiculous ? Yes but that rarely stops people in the quest for $$$.
Notice @Butch said, "this season." Football has been played at Fenway for a few years now. The reason they don't want a bowl game is that BC/UConn, Harvard/Yale and games of that nature (i.e. local ties) are profit generators. Non-major bowl games, by and large, are not. When the Patriots played at Fenway, they used to erected bleachers on the north sideline against the Green Monster. I don't believe they've done that for these recent games. Plus for Henry, there is better exposure for Fenway and the ownership group with hockey games and public skate, for which they begin laying the foundation of the rink in mid/late December.

The current field at Wrigley goes from the 3rd base line to right field. The Chicago Bears played at Wrigley from 1921 until 1970 and the field went from 1st to Left. Presumably the Cubs added seats? I don't know, but they apparently didn't have these modern issues 40 years ago.

My guess is that the Yankees use the Pinstripe Bowl as a cost offset to the new stadium. They have to pay the debt service regardless, so any bit of revenue/cash flow helps and they can use the losses to bring down tax liability.

I recall when the Packers would play a few games per season at County Stadium, where the endzone would be cut cut off. The cut off portion would be out of bounds, but it barely fit a football field.

county16_top.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom