OT: Australian Open Final Weekend | The Boneyard

OT: Australian Open Final Weekend

Reaction Score
Any tennis fans around here? I'm gonna try to wake up for the Nadal/Federer match Sunday morning. I grew up loving tennis because of these two. The sport became less exciting to me when their rivalry fizzled out. Feels like Brady vs Manning, never knowing if it's the last time you see them match up against each other. Doubt I'll stay up for the Williams sisters match but an awesome story in itself.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Any tennis fans around here? I'm gonna try to wake up for the Nadal/Federer match Sunday morning. I grew up loving tennis because of these two. The sport became less exciting to me when their rivalry fizzled out. Feels like Brady vs Manning, never knowing if it's the last time you see them match up against each other. Doubt I'll stay up for the Williams sisters match but an awesome story in itself.
Is there PED testing in pro tennis? The finals on both sides feature bodies that should have run out of gas several years ago.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Big tennis fan here. Couldn't have asked for anything more than this weekend on the men's and women's sides respectively. I'm cheering hard for Federer but I think if I was a betting man I'd take Serena and Rafa. I don't see any way Venus stands in front of Serena and prevents her from getting the outright Slams record

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Ever since my guy Djokovic got out, I've actually had the opposite frame of mind. I would've really enjoyed seeing Raonic or Dimitrov go all the way. Much respect to Federer and Nadal for being the legends they are, but with the former retiring soon and the latter's health getting dubious, my curiosity is piqued as to who from the tier below is going to be able to step up and take their place.

Reaction Score
Is there PED testing in pro tennis? The finals on both sides feature bodies that should have run out of gas several years ago.
Just ask Maria Sharapova about that.

Reaction Score
That seems nuts, why? Tennis allows huge breaks between events for top players and they have 1-2 days off between matches

How can LeBron and KD, Russ go the way they go for years but Rog can't go into early to mid 30s?

Serena is just amazing, honestly, imagine if she played hoops, she'd be worth 5% (if that) of what she is today and never be spoken about anywhere. Instead she's arguably the greatness female athlete of all time.

Honestly speaking, women's tennis is probably the only relevant professional sport there is that has a true national audience.

Reaction Score
I thought after Djoker won the French last year he had a real shot to break the record, but now he's 0 for last 3 and will turn 30 around French final so getting tougher

If you asked me I would have said he gets 2 out of 3 Wimbledon, US, Aussie

But, can't ask for much better than Rafa-Fed, have to go back to Pete-Andre for a match this good at this point

Ever since my guy Djokovic got out, I've actually had the opposite frame of mind. I would've really enjoyed seeing Raonic or Dimitrov go all the way. Much respect to Federer and Nadal for being the legends they are, but with the former retiring soon and the latter's health getting dubious, my curiosity is piqued as to who from the tier below is going to be able to step up and take their place.

Reaction Score
Very excited for Rafa-Fed, and pretty surprised Venus found a way to give us another Williams' match. Just wish the men's final aired Saturday night like it used to, the Aussies must have moved the schedule around, don't know if 3:30am is happening.

And you're right we need to assume this will be the last Rafa-Fed major final showdown we get.

Reaction Score
Very excited for Rafa-Fed, and pretty surprised Venus found a way to give us another Williams' match. Just wish the men's final aired Saturday night like it used to, the Aussies must have moved the schedule around, don't know if 3:30am is happening.

And you're right we need to assume this will be the last Rafa-Fed major final showdown we get.

I think we'll see the 2 of them meet in a final 1-2 more times after this. Djoker seems (at least momentarily) to be down, Murray gets in his own head way too often, Wawrinka is almost a pure serve & volley type, and I don't think there's anyone else truly ready to break through at this time. Dimitrov looked really impressive in the match vs Nadal, if he can bring that level consistently then he'd be the only other guy. Either way, unless Djokovic rediscovers his dominant form, I think we see Fed-Rafa link up again in a major final.

As for the Williams sisters, for as little as I care about women's tennis, I still root for Venus whenever they play. Serena is just super off putting and Lebronesque IMO.

Reaction Score
I thought after Djoker won the French last year he had a real shot to break the record, but now he's 0 for last 3 and will turn 30 around French final so getting tougher

If you asked me I would have said he gets 2 out of 3 Wimbledon, US, Aussie

But, can't ask for much better than Rafa-Fed, have to go back to Pete-Andre for a match this good at this point

The way Djokovic plays it wouldn't surprise me if he declined at a relatively early age. As for the record, it might come down to this next match. If Rafa wins, he's only 2 behind Fed and he'd still be the favorite at the French for the next 3-4 years, regardless of what he does at any of the other Slams. IMO Fed probably needs this to ensure that he holds the record for awhile.

Reaction Score
Some of my fondest tennis memories are of vintage Anna Kournakova.
That response deserves a picture.

anna-kournikova-88v.jpg

Reaction Score
I still remember the first time I saw her playing - it was a US Open broadcast....I was like..WOW!!!!...Then I found out she was 15.

Reaction Score
Well, if you call being up 5-3 in 5th set "wearing down"...

Don't let the fact that this match has been going on for 3 hours before you woke up distract you from such an idiotic post bud.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Don't let the fact that this match has been going on for 3 hours before you woke up distract you from such an idiotic post bud.

Well, since I've been up a couple of hours and Federer just won, who looks idiotic now?

Reaction Score
Well, since I've been up a couple of hours and Federer just won, who looks idiotic now?

Might want to unmute the TV there champ, commentary is talking about how crazy it is that Federer pulled it back after being down 0-2 in the 5th (which is when I made the comment). Either stop trolling or learn how tennis is played, not sure what angle you're trying to play.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Might want to unmute the TV there champ, commentary is talking about how crazy it is that Federer pulled it back after being down 0-2 in the 5th (which is when I made the comment). Either stop trolling or learn how tennis is played, not sure what angle you're trying to play.

I'm not going to say I was much of anything as a player, but I did once beat a club pro when I used to play. You?

Reaction Score
Watched the whole thing. That's the two best tennis players ever, Federer can now lay claim to being #1. Great stuff, time for a nap.

Fed's been the GOAT for a few years now. And Djokovic could easily pass Nadal up for #2, if not eventually become the GOAT himself.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to say I was much of anything as a player, but I did once beat a club pro when I used to play. You?

Well shit, should have said you were a player. Surprised you weren't there calling the match with the McEnroe bros!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well shit, should have said you were a player. Surprised you weren't there calling the match with the McEnroe bros!

I had a decent serve and that was about it. If it was on I could give a game. I did once play a ranked player (top 250) and got totally smoked. I managed five points over two sets. Bet was I could win one game. Not even close.

Reaction Score
I had a decent serve and that was about it. If it was on I could give a game. I did once play a ranked player (top 250) and got totally smoked. I managed five points over two sets. Bet was I could win one game. Not even close.

Wow bud, sounds like a tough match! Don't worry, you'll get 'em next time for sure!!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wow bud, sounds like a tough match! Don't worry, you'll get 'em next time for sure!!

Point being, you jump to the conclusion that someone doesn't know what they're talking about because they disagree with you.

Never count out previous champions, even if they're long in the tooth. They know how to win. That's why they're previous champions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom