OT: August teaches you how to eat again | The Boneyard

OT: August teaches you how to eat again

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I feel like Ive been cheating you guys out of my food tips since the Arbys thread.
Ive been busy testing out what this country has to offer so I could make more recs to you.

August is happy to say he has found a dish that he can proudly endorse for that horrible, horrible holiday ;Thanksgiving.

Its wonderful year round though.

Without further ado may I introduce you to Stuffing made out of White Castle Burgers.

Make some immediately!

http://www.urbancookery.com/white-castle-stuffing/

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
From the black hole of single life (while Lady Hans attends to aging parents in a location where she swears she locked eyes with two men in white robes w/head-coverings that revealed only eyes), I have indulged a curiosity that began with Chik Fil-a nuggets & waffle fries and proceeded on to an 4 Chicken McNuggets order last night. Today, I stopped for 10 Burger King nuggets on sale for $1.49, and I write these words afterveating a 4 for $4 Wendy's meal that included my first encounter with a make-your-own soda machine. I found the soda easier to operate than a Mohegan Sun slot the one time I tried that.

Chik Fil-a food tasted best, and I'll skip the stuffing for now.

Reaction Score
From the black hole of single life (while Lady Hans attends to aging parents in a location where she swears she locked eyes with two men in white robes w/head-coverings that revealed only eyes), I have indulged a curiosity that began with Chik Fil-a nuggets & waffle fries and proceeded on to an 4 Chicken McNuggets order last night. Today, I stopped for 10 Burger King nuggets on sale for $1.49, and I write these words afterveating a 4 for $4 Wendy's meal that included my first encounter with a make-your-own soda machine. I found the soda easier to operate than a Mohegan Sun slot the one time I tried that.

Chik Fil-a food tasted best, and I'll skip the stuffing for now.
You forgot one thing. The angioplasty.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The only thing I can advise you is to keep eating like that if you want to keep eating like that. Man, I had a later night (9:30 pm) pub burger the other night after attending an event where we thought there was going to be food but wasn't. It has been several months since I had a restaurant burger, nevermind fast food like White Castle or McDonald's.

Suffice to say that my body apparently didn't want it hanging around long, and it took everything else with it for a few very urgent, very early morning porcelain Honda rides.

August_West

Reaction Score
The only thing I can advise you is to keep eating like that if you want to keep eating like that. Man, I had a later night (9:30 pm) pub burger the other night after attending an event where we thought there was going to be food but wasn't. It has been several months since I had a restaurant burger, nevermind fast food like White Castle or McDonald's.

Suffice to say that my body apparently didn't want it hanging around long, and it took everything else with it for a few very urgent, very early morning porcelain Honda rides.

You need to go back in training. Its not for the weak minded.

August_West

Reaction Score
So I learned what Suboxone is the other day in connection with one of my cases. I feel like that's the functional equivalent of what happened here.
lol

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Ahhhhhhhhhh White Castle. Memories. It bee years I tell ya. However, every time I walk by the freezer sections of Sams Club or Wal Mart and low and behold a box of White Castle Burgers (sliders) staring at me. Happens every time, I get this numb feeling and it brings me back to the past. Still a great taste. Actually now that I think of it, it might of helped out the run of the mill boring stuffing." I like my stuffing with a slice of cheese please."

Since we are back in the culinary realm, I have in the oven as we speak Hawaiin Chicken. Have to make your own marinade. Let sit over night into late afternoon. Into the oven 350 for an hour(maybe). Then five minutes left, turn broiler on gently lay down a slice of Muenster Cheese on each and let it melt half way. Enjoy. I realize this will not take the place of a great tasting WC burger, but it is different. This is what happens when you retire and it is winter.

August_West

Reaction Score
Ahhhhhhhhhh White Castle. Memories. It bee years I tell ya. However, every time I walk by the freezer sections of Sams Club or Wal Mart and low and behold a box of White Castle Burgers (sliders) staring at me. Happens every time, I get this numb feeling and it brings me back to the past. Still a great taste. Actually now that I think of it, it might of helped out the run of the mill boring stuffing." I like my stuffing with a slice of cheese please."

Since we are back in the culinary realm, I have in the oven as we speak Hawaiin Chicken. Have to make your own marinade. Let sit over night into late afternoon. Into the oven 350 for an hour(maybe). Then five minutes left, turn broiler on gently lay down a slice of Muenster Cheese on each and let it melt half way. Enjoy. I realize this will not take the place of a great tasting WC burger, but it is different. This is what happens when you retire and it is winter.

Those supermarket WC frozen burgers arent bad. They are pretty authentic. As much as you could expect a supermarket frozen variation of anything to be.
There obviously none in CT but Im in and out of the City frequently and on my way out pretty much every time I stop at the one on Bruckner Blvd for a Crave case. (30 burgers) ... I eat twice as much as I should in the car on the way home and then freeze the rest when I get home.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ok, teach me August. Leaving New Haven for home shortly. Mrs. 8893 and the kids are all out and about for the night and the house is mine for at least a few hours. I can bring home anything I want from here to there and enjoy with libations of choice. I do not want pizza (!) and had porchetta with broccoli rabe for lunch.

What should I get?

August_West

Reaction Score
Ok, teach me August. Leaving New Haven for home shortly. Mrs. 8893 and the kids are all out and about for the night and the house is mine for at least a few hours. I can bring home anything I want from here to there and enjoy with libations of choice. I do not want pizza (!) and had porchetta with broccoli rabe for lunch.

What should I get?

Halal guys

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Halal guys
Are they legit? I've heard mixed things. But falafel has been one the options I'm mulling. I am a very big fan of Mediterranea on Orange St. and that is a top consideration right now, or Indian from Tikkaway.

August_West

Reaction Score
Are they legit? I've heard mixed things. But falafel has been one the options I'm mulling. I am a very big fan of Mediterranea on Orange St. and that is a top consideration right now, or Indian from Tikkaway.

I love Tikkaway thats a really good call. Halal guys is decent not as good as the original city Truck but pretty good.
If falafel is one of your options why not Mamouns? Its not the greatest Falafel but it is the greatest hot sauce. You cant go wrong with the shawarma there either

Reaction Score

best falafel in new haven is aladdin crown pizza, next to bar. you gotta get it with the pickled beets. totally different scene, but pitaziki is cool too if you are into the fast-casual tikkaway vibe.

i've never eaten white castle... will gladly fall on that sword if there is mojo needed this post-season.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You looking for fast food only? The Jaleno Heaven on route 1 in Branford does take out. i also think Zang's is different.

But somehow I doubt you are in need of dining information.

August_West

Reaction Score
best falafel in new haven is aladdin crown pizza, next to bar

I went there for my first time a couple months ago. Really brightly lit divey place, right? Like right next to Bar? I just never looked at the name of it. If it is the same place, yes it was very good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I love Tikkaway thats a really good call. Halal guys is decent not as good as the original city Truck but pretty good.
If falafel is one of your options why not Mamouns? Its not the greatest Falafel but it is the greatest hot sauce. You cant go wrong with the shawarma there either

Love Mamoun's and have for decades but Mediterranea falafel is better imo (and their fool muddammas is my go-to; great, great dish) and much closer to me.

best falafel in new haven is aladdin crown pizza, next to bar. you gotta get it with the pickled beets. totally different scene, but pitaziki is cool too if you are into the fast-casual tikkaway vibe.

i've never eaten white castle... will gladly fall on that sword if there is mojo needed this post-season.

I will try Aladdin falafel again. It's been years and it was always late at night and messy, but good. Have you had the falafel from Mediterranea? Pitaziki is okay but not great imo.

August_West

Reaction Score
You looking for fast food only? The Jaleno Heaven on route 1 in Branford does take out. i also think Zang's is different.

He accepts dining information but not those 2 disaster picks :)

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Thanks David. Jalepeno Heaven might not be a bad call. Didn't know they did takeout. Haven't been in years but was a fan. Will consider that one.

Used to be Zhang's fans but no more. Bad experience with critters in our food there. And the fact that they weren't surprised or troubled about it was disturbing, to put it mildly.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Will go for a pop and think on it. Thanks guys. Will check back before I head out to see if any other ideas.

August_West

Reaction Score
Used to be Zhang's fans but no more. Bad experience with critters in our food there. And the fact that they weren't surprised or troubled about it was disturbing, to put it mildly.

15 years ago I used to work out of Guilford and go to the madison zhangs a lot. It was quite good. Now I live closer to the one in Saybrook and went there a couple times and it was more than terrible. Ended up at the madison one again and while it didnt reach the depths of saybrooks hell, it was nowhere near the level it was years ago. Sad.

Jalapeno heaven I actually like and was busting stones a little bit. The food is fine but a bit pedestrian for me these days as Im a mexican fiend and am in the Chicago area quite frequently and get spoiled. I dont get why CT cant make authentic mexican. The only place in CT that tickles my fancy these days is Iguanas Ranas in Middletown.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Used to be Zhang's fans but no more. Bad experience with critters in our food there. And the fact that they weren't surprised or troubled about it was disturbing said:
Oh God! Getting retroactively sick. Plus Mrs. 76 just asked about Chinese food! Where do you go in the area???

Curiouser
Reaction Score
15 years ago I used to work out of Guilford and go to the madison zhangs a lot. It was quite good. Now I live closer to the one in Saybrook and went there a couple times and it was more than terrible. Ended up at the madison one again and while it didnt reach the depths of saybrooks hell, it was nowhere near the level it was years ago. Sad.

Jalapeno heaven I actually like and was busting stones a little bit. The food is fine but a bit pedestrian for me these days as Im a mexican fiend and am in the Chicago area quite frequently and get spoiled. I dont get why CT cant make authentic mexican. The only place in CT that tickles my fancy these days is Iguanas Ranas in Middletown.

Agree about JH.

Jai Mei in Madison or Ayuthai in Guilford for local Asian food. Or Clinton's Taste of. China.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom