OT: Are Major College Sports Programs Not Following Title IX Rules? | The Boneyard

OT: Are Major College Sports Programs Not Following Title IX Rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, some major college sports programs are NOT following Title IX.
Why? Because the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights (OCR) has no teeth, and less will.
Real teeth would be the ability to impact federal funds directed at a University in violation of the Title IX.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Admittedly, I just skimmed most of this article, because I'm just not in the right frame of mind for the concentration it deserves. But, what I did read re-emphasizes some of the things previously mentioned in discussions here on the BY.

Some schools barely pretend to comply. Some schools achieve compliance by cutting men's sports, such as wrestling or baseball. Some schools achieve compliance by adding women's programs that don't require a major investment in equipment or facility (the article mentions a school that has an equestrian program with nearly 60 women, schools such as Arizona State add women's crew with a similar number of participants).

Some schools define their athletes to suit their needs. If I recall correctly, Quinnipiac included women involved in club sports to achieve the desired numbers.

In short, yeah - a significant number of major colleg sports programs treat Title IX as a suggestion, or a bureaucratic obstacle to be overcome, rather than a mandate for equity.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Admittedly, I just skimmed most of this article, because I'm just not in the right frame of mind for the concentration it deserves. But, what I did read re-emphasizes some of the things previously mentioned in discussions here on the BY.

Some schools barely pretend to comply. Some schools achieve compliance by cutting men's sports, such as wrestling or baseball. Some schools achieve compliance by adding women's programs that don't require a major investment in equipment or facility (the article mentions a school that has an equestrian program with nearly 60 women, schools such as Arizona State add women's crew with a similar number of participants).

Some schools define their athletes to suit their needs. If I recall correctly, Quinnipiac included women involved in club sports to achieve the desired numbers.

In short, yeah - a significant number of major colleg sports programs treat Title IX as a suggestion, or a bureaucratic obstacle to be overcome, rather than a mandate for equity.
I don't know anything about the school up north's women's crew program except that - believe it or not - we stayed overnight in the Tempe Mesa area a couple of month's ago and used a hotel shuttle to go to dinner on Mill Avenue. The driver was talking about women's crew. Go figure,.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom