OT : Arbys is killing it.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by August_West, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Deepster

Deepster

Good grief. Stop the world. I want to get off.

2. 8893

8893 Curiouser

"Shockingly decent" is a favorite term of mine. Coincidentally, my most memorable use of the term was describing RI party pizza that a good friend who is a RI native brought to us while we were on vacation in RI, after she had weathered my diatribes against the abomination for years. As a courtesy to her as my house guest, I agreed to try a piece during our pre-dinner happy hour, and I proclaimed it "shockingly decent," which her then 15 year old son immediately adopted as his favorite catch phrase.

To be clear, it was not used in comparison to actual pizza, but just to describe a fleeting bite of an appetizer used to soak up some booze.

August_West likes this.
  3. August_West

August_West Resident Champion

The fast food world is changing my friend. they are stepping up their game. (except Burger King. In the 80's I loved BK. Burger King is the dregs now).

I stopped at KFC in Wethersfield for the first time in probably decades Saturday night on the way back from an afternoon Massachussets gig. They have Nashville Hot Chicken now. It also was shockingly decent.

8893 likes this.
  4. Deepster

Deepster

I'm sure it was....except for the fact that it probably wasn't actually "chicken".

5. August_West

you mean like tofurkey or something?

6. Dove

Dove Vance comin'

I thought you went introspective earlier in the year and realized the time has come to stop eating crap. You want to squeeze a few more years outta life.

7. Deepster

Deepster

I've never had tofurkey. If I want turkey, I'll eat turkey. I don't see the need to make a fake version of something. If you want it, just eat the original.

8. August_West

Ive been squeezing a few more years out since I was 28. Each day is a gift. Im going to suck the marrow out of life, and for me that doesnt include quinoa and radish sandwiches.

uconnell and storrsroars like this.
  9. Deepster

Deepster

See, that attitude surprises me. You have a young daughter. I'd much rather have fried chicken than quinoa. I guess the extra couple years I hope to gain is worth the trade off for me.

10. August_West

I will always do right by her.

Dove likes this.
  11. Hankster

Hankster What do I know.

Another great culinary post from August. However, haven't tried Arby's in decades. August...CAUTION. Guess what is is coming up in a month. That will be one sandwich I know you will NEVER touch. Prepare your self for the onslaught. I was thinking of escaping again this year. The cost for me and my son was a bit too much. Aloha to those that are going.

August_West likes this.
  12. Hankster

Hankster What do I know.

Since we are slightly on fast food, I remember many years ago I was in Hartford I had a Dave's Deluxe at Wendy's. Great sandwich. Sauteed onions falling out of the bun, grease, oil call it what you want dripping down your arm. Heaven. I haven't seen that sandwich since then. Called Wendy's and asked WTH. They said it was a test model and it is offered in other states. I knew it was too good to be true. Maybe it was for the best, a heart attack waiting to happen.

August_West likes this.
  13. August_West

You shoulda made it work. Even poi which might be the 2nd worst food choice in the world ( I can't decide if it's that or vegemite, both are horrific). Have better flavor profiles than Turkey.

14. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

Don't forget it's equally horrific brother Marmite. And their turd of a cousin Bovril.

15. superjohn

superjohn

A turkey sandwich is pretty damn good.

16. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

My uncle is/was Australian.

He once spent eight weeks with us - I watched him put vegemite on everything we put in front of him.

I cannot imagine what happened in Australia that made them think that stuff is edible, but good god, they love it.

It's far, far worse than poi.

But worse than both - and please don't even try to debate this because I'll ban you forever - is Hákarl,

Google it. It's so, so rough.

August_West likes this.
  17. intlzncster

Kæstur hákarl has a strong ammonia-rich smell and fishy taste.[1]

Sounds right up your alley.

August_West likes this.
  18. Dove

Dove Vance comin'

Sad to read about the loss of your uncle. I'm sure he was a funny guy, mate.

19. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

Thank you. But he still might be alive - this will look worse in print than it is, but honestly, I can't remember.

20. Dove

Dove Vance comin'

No, that looks horrible. I mean...8 weeks!!

What was his name?

21. whaler11

whaler11 Kickoff: 11:11

Please tell me at least some of you follow nihilist_arbys on twitter.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2016
    August_West likes this.
  22. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

1) Having a relative in Australia is like having a relative on the moon. They're more of a trivia question at family gatherings than an actual relative. Plus, he's not on twitter, so it's not like he's even trying to stay in touch.

2) Hákarl isn't fishy. I can't even describe it - it tastes like ammonia and something that you clearly know has been dead for too long. As bad as it tastes, the worst of it is how it attacks your sinus cavities the same way having too much wasabi would. Except instead of horseradish burn, it's rotting dead stuff.

It's some kind of shark that lives up near Iceland. It's poisonous to eat, so they bury it in the sand for like six months to let whatever it is leech out of the meat. Then, they dig it up and hang it in a shed for another bunch of months until it kinda looks like weird cheese. It's just so rancid from start to finish.

3) I follow nihilist_arbys now.

23. storrsroars

storrsroars Exiled in Pittsburgh

Yeah, but it's apparently not the worst thing you could put in your mouth.

I read this comparison of Hákarl v. Surströmming and was howling in laughter. Poor guy.

I'd never think of giving either a try. I met my match with a durian a few years back. If I'm already gagging from the smell, I ain't eating it.

I wouldn't seek out vegemite, but I can eat it. Same with poi, which is one of the most pointless foodstuffs I've ever had as it tastes like, well, nothing.

24. 8893

8893 Curiouser

I love that the Arby's thread has inspired a "No, this is the worst thing you could ever eat" contest.

mauconnfan likes this.
  25. August_West

Are we playing jeopardy? I'll bite.

" what is Turkey"

26. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

Nope!

"What is Turkey with ketchup"

August_West likes this.
  27. intlzncster

This guy gives a slam dunk worst-ever champion to Surströmming. Fishy's gotta try and report back.

28. Hankster

Hankster What do I know.

What a surprise that a burger comparison was on the internet (MSN.com) shortly after the August Arby's topic. The author chose three Burgers to compare. I have no idea why these three, but who cares. Up for judgement was Burger King Whopper, McDonald's Big Mac and Wendy's Single respectively. Make a long story short, Wendy's was a distant last. The Whopper and Mac were head to head. Final choice, Big Mac. I was slightly disappointed. Although I have cut in half my fast food visits, I would of presented the trophy to The Whopper. Seems more like a man's burger. There is a Micky D's close by that does make a good Mac. Fresh buns, the right temperature. However, comparing those three, Whopper gets my vote. The author does go into a detailed breakdown of each.

29. August_West

20 years ago I would've agreed with you. Burger King has just taken a food quality nose dive. ( in relative terms obviously) ... it's really terrible now. The burgers are different and smaller than they used to be. The produce seems nastier too. A Big Mac is still a Big Mac and ( most )McDonald's seem to try to uphold some standard of quality ( again, relative). Burger King at the ones I've had in the last few years, are always disappointing

30. UConner

UConner

Just back from a 10 day road trip. No Arby's near me here in Mystic. We stopped for lunch at an Arby's and tried the pork belly. My God it was good! Arby's menu is so different from back in the old days with the funny looking roast beef.

August_West likes this.