OT....Ara Parseghian | The Boneyard

OT....Ara Parseghian

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Famous for the ND game against, I think Mich State for the mythical NC and he played for a tie. All in all, a good coach. RIP

Reaction Score
Famous for the ND game against, I think Mich State for the mythical NC and he played for a tie. All in all, a good coach. RIP
The 1973 national championship game against Alabama was the most inspiring game I ever saw. The players carrying Ara off the field, the whole bit. Cosell calling the game was memorable, and it had a CT connection.

Epic Battle of Opposites: Irish vs. Tide in 1973

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
In what I think was his last season and his last regular season game vs USC at the Coliseum, ND was ahead 24-7 at the half. In the 2H, USC scored 48 unanswered points, winning 55-24. USC's mascot, the white horse named "Traveller", gallops up and down the sideline after every USC score. After the game, Parseghian said, "I got sick and tired of watching that white horse galloping on the sideline in the second half."

RIP.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The nice coach in Rudy

I believe Dan Devine's family sued the producers of that movie. Most of the portrayal of Devine was totally fabricated movie BS, including the scene where the players all come into his office and lay down their jerseys on his desk, which never happened.

Reaction Score
I just read Ivan Maisel's article on Parseghian...I did not realize the success that he had at Northwestern before he went to the Irish.

"Notre Dame didn't recruit Parseghian. He called them. He had driven Northwestern as high as No. 1 in 1962, and he fought mighty Ohio State to a draw. "It is utterly amazing when Northwestern, over a six-game period, can win three against Woody Hayes," the late Beano Cook said. "He had that great win in '58, 21-0, against Ohio State. I can still see the picture in the paper, players carrying him off the field. The game was at Northwestern, and his fist was in the air."

But Parseghian clashed with the athletic director and grew tired of student apathy. After one of his two victories at the Horseshoe, Parseghian commented on the flight home that he couldn't wait to see the reception his team would get when it returned to campus. A sportswriter on the plane told him there would be no students waiting for him, and a disbelieving Parseghian bet a steak dinner. He lost. The year after Northwestern reached No. 1, he left."

Notre Dame coach Ara Parseghian's legend won't soon be forgotten

Reaction Score
In what I think was his last season and his last regular season game vs USC at the Coliseum, ND was ahead 24-7 at the half. In the 2H, USC scored 48 unanswered points, winning 55-24. USC's mascot, the white horse named "Traveller", gallops up and down the sideline after every USC score. After the game, Parseghian said, "I got sick and tired of watching that white horse galloping on the sideline in the second half."

RIP.

In case anyone cares, it was 24-6 at the half. And sc scored 55 unanswered points. All in about 17 minutes of game time.

Reaction Score
Totally classy guy who brought Irish back from depths of ignominy. As a little kid I lived and died with ND in the 50s---Frank Leahy and Terry Brennan-led teams. When ND dumped Brennan just before Christmas in '57 or '58 I was crushed. Not until Ara arrived, Did I regain my affection for Irish. But by then I was less of a ND aficionado. Now I have little respect for the school or the program. R.I. P. Ara.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Unlike Nebraska that went for the win in 1983 against Miami and came up short.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Unlike Nebraska that went for the win in 1983 against Miami and came up short.
Nebraska understood that you don't play for a tie in an NC game. Of course now with OT, go for the tie or be fired.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Nebraska understood that you don't play for a tie in an NC game. Of course now with OT, go for the tie or be fired.
ND played for the tie and the sportwriters bailed them out.

Reaction Score
ND played for the tie and the sportwriters bailed them out.

Both coaches played for a tie. Since ND was playing with a second string QB and without their top running back, the sports writers evidently thought Ara had a better reason to play for the tie than Duffy did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom