OT - anyone use simplisafe home security? | The Boneyard

OT - anyone use simplisafe home security?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
ADT has gotten far too big for their britches, when it comes to cost. Hoping someone out there has made the switch.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I've never used simplisafe however, my parents still maintain their ADT subscription. What's the point of home security, aren't camera's good enough? Unless you live somewhere crime happens frequently aren't camera's more useful than a security system?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I've never used simplisafe however, my parents still maintain their ADT subscription. What's the point of home security, aren't camera's good enough? Unless you live somewhere crime happens frequently aren't camera's more useful than a security system?

Door chimes. Especially with young kids and a dog.
Cameras also won't integrate with smoke/CO detection.
Most homeowners insurance will be discounted too, not so much with cameras.

Reaction Score
I convinced someone to try it recently. They have had SimpliSafe for about 6 months now, and they love it.

It's about 175 for the year compared to the near 600 that a comparable ADT system would cost, and the service is apples to apples as far as we can tell.

Reaction Score
ADT has gotten far too big for their britches, when it comes to cost. Hoping someone out there has made the switch.

I have SimpliSafe. For like $200 up front and $10-20/mo I get full home security.

Pros: super, duper easy set-up; reliability has been good on sensors and connectivity; the interoperability between devices(phone app, keychain dongle) has been good. The responsiveness has been good when alarms are triggered. The varying solutions and ability to build your own security situation ad-hoc is pretty simple. Decide what solution you want for each area: entry sensor, motion detector, etc, and then just install in 2 minutes for each one.

Cons: The video situation is sub-par. I think now they have video solutions, but it doesn't look too integrated. I haven't waded into this water, as I use a separate Nest-based system for this.

Experience with alarms/police
For example: Once, while we were on vacation, we left the garage door unlocked and the wind blew it open. 2 minutes later I got a call from Simplisafe, 2 minutes after that a call from the PD at my house saying everything looked good and they locked my door on the way out.

Overall, I'm happy for the cost. Hope this helps.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Thanks. We just had windows re-done, and the smoke detector aged out. ADT thought there were doing me a favor by dropping the replacement bill to $850!

Combine the equipment replacement savings with the monthly savings, and this seems no-brainer-ish.

Reaction Score

I have used them for several years. Very responsive, inexpensive and easy to set up. Can tailor the system to your needs.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Our house came with SimpliSafe equipment but we never signed up for the subscription. If it's like 15 bucks a month we might have to do it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I would have thought there would be an internet based solution at this point. Bluetooth or wifi, with no monthly fee.

Reaction Score
I have had it for 2 years now. I have 3 door sensors, which chime when door opens. Not sure if there is a setting to turn off chime. Also, I have 3 or 4 motion sensors. I have only had the alarm go off once. I believe they call first and then send the call to the local police if no answer or password is incorrect. Set up was easy. I believe, you have to call in to test each device/sensor. Happy with system, for the right price it gets the job done. I have not looked into cameras. Although, the front and back door cameras would be a nice add on. I need to research it more! Probably a different company for door bell camera.

Small Con: My key pad doesn't light up. Probably to save battery life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom